• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

picking a digital camera (1 Viewer)

MicK_eT

Terry mate!
ooh ok well atm im lookin at the
olympus 740 ultra zoom (mainly due to the fact that it has 10x optical zoom! and clear sharp pics but is only 3.2 megapixels)
nikon 4500 (cuz i cant afford the 5700 model but only has 4x optical zoom)

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
I have a DSC-U30, which i love cos it is tiny so i am not discouraged from taking it everywhere. Though as a consequence i have about 300MB of photos on my hard drive after only 2 months!! Yes it is only 2MP, but hey the pics are crystal clear @ a res of 1280x1024 (there abouts). It's batteries last forever and is available in 8 colours. I got mine in Japan, brand new for less than half the rrp in aus, now that it has just come out!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
kimmeh and her olympus cameras... (and me and my kodak cameras).

whats ur point? :p
i bought mine for about 600 sumfing.. only 100 bucks cheaper.. but i asked for a 128 mb xd memory card thing.. so it adds up to the 128 mb freee :) but yeah.. its soooooooooooo cool :D:D:D

Huy

HSC
N/A
No point. We're all a little biased :)

"Everyone has a preference, so use what works for you."

I picked up my 256MB MMC today, brand spanking new.

16MB Internal + 256MB Expansion (Removable MMC/SD)

272MB stores:

*** Best - 209 Photos
** Better - 377 Photos
* Good - 762 Photos

I'd rather Kodak has a resolution/dimension config (adjustment) menu, but I suppose the "star system" is good enough :p

17 minutes of QuickTime (mov) video footage.

:D

Chris462

hmm i just bought the nikon 3500 coolpix the other day (3.2 MP, 35 sec mpg movies etc) it has a proper battery (not rechargeable AA's), though it only has an lcd screen (no optical viewfinder), it has a battery life of approx 80 mins and in that time you could take approx 400 pictures, it came with a 64 meg flash card though you could upgrade to 256 if need be so...

its definitely worth a look, im very happy with it, the only minor concern is that the flash is pretty close to the lens which = red eye.

its worth 800, though if you go to harvey norman at the moment you should be able to still pick it up for 650 with a few extras as well...

lots of other cool features, check it out:

http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/PDF/coolpix3500.htm

chris42

HSC
Kodak seems to have some really good digital cameras, I got a 2megapixel one year and 1/2 go and prints off photos very well. Are you looking about $400 for a camera ?

MicK_eT

Terry mate!
well the olympus c-740 is what i have my eye on atm... so my price range would be about up to 770.
the bad thing bout that camera is taht it doesnt have sound recording with its thingy and only uses XD picture cards... expensive...

chris42

HSC
Yeah.. that is a bit of a problem, that was the great thing about the kodak, the sound recording and its use of compact flash memory which are really cheap these days.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by chris42
Yeah.. that is a bit of a problem, that was the great thing about the kodak, the sound recording and its use of compact flash memory which are really cheap these days.
:)

The downside, in my opinion?
Movie (video/audio, including sound) recording is in QuickTime mov file format.

I would have preferred mpg, since you can play it back on all systems (default configuration and OS, doesn't require QT or QT Pro for full screen).

The newer Kodaks are using MMC/SD cards, weigh about 2 grams and are the size of a postage stamp. These aren't cheap by any means, but CF memory are decent and cheap these days (The DX3500-3700 I believe are using CF, maybe some other models too)

:)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by chris42
Do you know which cameras encode in mpeg ?
Sony CyberShot Digital Still Cameras (DSC)

All Sony digicams are recording in MPEG, beats mov anyday IMO. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)