• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Physics or Engineering Studies?... (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
As you can see in my signature I would ultimately like to do both of these subjects (although the lines aren't released yet... I can choose both because engineering is an online course) I would much rather only do the 12 units and keep it like that with a free period in my timetable for study and chilling. I am not sure whether to do the Physics course (at school) or the Engineering Studies course (online).

I am aiming to study a Bachelor of Engineering (Civil)/Bachelor of Business. Forget about the business side for the time being but I need to really concentrate on the engineering...

Engineering Studies would be a clear advantage to choose but it is a very wide spectrum of all engineering and I only like civil and computer... not mechanics........ Sure it would help me in my studies but Physics would give me a more basic understanding of the principles involved....

What would be more valuable for me to elect... Physics or Engineering Studies (online)

alan7948

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
you could do both and drop chem ?
but dont you need chem to do bach. of engineering as a prerequisite?

correct me if i am wrong

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
xXmuffin0manXx said:
you could do both and drop chem ?
Or drop Music 1 since it scales uber shit and has nothing to do with engineering.

HSC
Charity F said:
Yeah well lots of people 'really want' to do some subjects, but they don't because it's actually a complete waste of time.

Seeing as the OP really wants to do Engineering, and is finding it hard to pick her units, Music seems to be on the wrong end of the spectrum.

It would be alright to do a 'fun' subject if you had everything organised and a couple of unit to spare. But this isn't the case.
i would rather have my timetable based around fun and serious rather than all serious which would make me very bored come hsc

Last edited:
HSC
Charity F said:
And then you go to a Physics bridging course over the holidays (which is great way to spend them, btw) and realise that maybe spending those spare 2 units on something that would have actually helped you would have been more beneficial.

Btw fun can become incredibly stressful, come hsc.
first of all..any career path you take does not require 12 units of study..
for example..aviation (flying) requires
english
maths
physics

which in total is just 6 units..sure you could go on and do engineering studies if you think that would help which would make 8..but you won't find anything past 8 units..also, if he decides to go on and do engineering studies(which i hear is all theory) it could make his variety of career choices limited czo he did state that he also wanted business as well..

i would choose physics over engineering studies as i think its a prerequsitie..but as charity said you should be doing engin. studies as well..
if chem isnt a prereq. then drop that and do the subject that you enjoy; music

and i find that last sentence extremely contradictory and unreliable(?) coming from a person who hasn't even done their hsc's yet..

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
first of all..any career path you take does not require 12 units of study..
for example..aviation (flying) requires
english
maths
physics

which in total is just 6 units..sure you could go on and do engineering studies if you think that would help which would make 8..but you won't find anything past 8 units..also, if he decides to go on and do engineering studies(which i hear is all theory) it could make his variety of career choices limited czo he did state that he also wanted business as well..

i would choose physics over engineering studies as i think its a prerequsitie..but as charity said you should be doing engin. studies as well..
if chem isnt a prereq. then drop that and do the subject that you enjoy; music

and i find that last sentence extremely contradictory and unreliable(?) coming from a person who hasn't even done their hsc's yet..
But then some schools you have to do 1/2units of religion which if you take two unit gives you say 10units. Then if you take extension maths/english your hitting 11/12units. It does add up pretty quickly.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Engineering Studies is not a prereq or assumed knowledge to do Civil engineering courses at uni... Though Music I scales quite bad I need to continue on with it because I can teach music on the side to students to earn more money while in uni :). I am also excellent at Music... It is almost my favourite subject and I get 95%, 1st in class etc etc... I am definetely choosing Music I.

All I really want to know is to choose Physics or Engineering Studies (online). I want to only do 12 because 14 I would struggle.. I have a casual job and other out of school commitements so my scheduele would be overloaded... :(

Thanks for your contributions though...

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Aquawhite said:
All I really want to know is to choose Physics or Engineering Studies (online). I want to only do 12 because 14 I would struggle.. I have a casual job and other out of school commitements so my scheduele would be overloaded... :(

Thanks for your contributions though...
If physics is a prerequisite or whatever then physic seeing how Engineering Studies is online

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I think I would much rather enjoy Physics because the teacher is AWESOME! and there are plenty of practicals and the teacher tries to make it as fun as possible :) (sounds childish lol). Completing a course online would be hard too...

>> Physics is always a prerequisite, it is sumtimes recommended knowledge. At newcastle uni, nothing is assumed for engineering except mathematics band 5 or ext 1 E1. Which is where I'm going.
Newcastle is ranked 16th in the world for Engineering... pretty good for quite a rural uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)