• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Physics Dot Point (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Hey could u guys nd girls please help me with this dot point.....

*Discuss the role of the Michelson-Morley experiments in making determinations about competing theories.

Wot are the competing theories????

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
the two competing theories were that an aether would exist which would allow for the propagation of EM waves, and maxwells theory which stated that they didn't need a medium for propagation such as the aether...

the michelson morely experiment confirmed that the aether did not exist. (it found that there was no change in the interference pattern as it was rotated therefore no aether wind bla bla bla) and hence provided evidence for maxwells theories and rejected the previous model of the aether

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Awh k i get it now....so Maxwell's theory hey. Thanx heaps juber!

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
hmm did maxwell say EM waves do not require aether? i thought he just theorised their existence... i need to check that again agh every dot point always spring something new up

i thought it was between the traditional aether model and its variations (eg. lorentz suggestions) after the m-m experiment and einsteins new theory of relativity

instead of bending the supposed properties of wether to fit the mm experiment, eistein's propostion that aether is not required and that light's speed is constand within 1 medium, which maight have been inspired by the mmexperiment results, was able 2 explain y the experiment achieved a null result in much simpler and comprehensive form - as the mm exp. is essentially trying to detect nothing.

which leads to the contemporary acceptance that light is selfpropagating and that theres no requirement for an aether.

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
hmm did maxwell say EM waves do not require aether? i thought he just theorised their existence... i need to check that again agh every dot point always spring something new up

i thought it was between the traditional aether model and its variations (eg. lorentz suggestions) after the m-m experiment and einsteins new theory of relativity

instead of bending the supposed properties of wether to fit the mm experiment, eistein's propostion that aether is not required and that light's speed is constand within 1 medium, which maight have been inspired by the mmexperiment results, was able 2 explain y the experiment achieved a null result in much simpler and comprehensive form - as the mm exp. is essentially trying to detect nothing.

which leads to the contemporary acceptance that light is selfpropagating and that theres no requirement for an aether.
Well maxwell devised the concept of their being an electromagnetic wave that would not require a medium for propagation, and the michelson morely experiment showed that the aether did not exist for the propagation of light which was then later shown to be an EM wave by hertz.

Perhaps it may be wiser to just mention maxwells theory of EM waves as a competing theory but tie that into the notion that one side of physics argued the need for a medium (the ether) and the other argued that there was no need (then maybe mention maxwell)

Rahul

Dead Member
"i thought it was between the traditional aether model and its variations (eg. lorentz suggestions) after the m-m experiment and einsteins new theory of relativity"

i'm afraid thats the only "other theories". it has nothing to do with maxwell's ideas.

as for the dot point, here is what i got:
- Any data will either support or refute a theory.
- For a theory to be taken seriously, it needs to be supported by evidence.
- Initially, Einsteins theory regarding relativity couldnt be backed up by experiments. This changed as technology improved, as some of his predictions were testable.
- Some of experimental evidence would be; dilated lifetimes of mesons penetrating the Earths atmosphere, flying of atomic clocks to determine the existence of time dilation and the conversion of mass to energy in nuclear reactions.

a bit brief, but hope it helps somewhat :)

Rahul

Dead Member
"i thought it was between the traditional aether model and its variations (eg. lorentz suggestions) after the m-m experiment and einsteins new theory of relativity"

i'm afraid thats the only "other theories". it has nothing to do with maxwell's ideas.

as for the dot point, here is what i got:
- Any data will either support or refute a theory.
- For a theory to be taken seriously, it needs to be supported by evidence.
- Initially, Einsteins theory regarding relativity couldnt be backed up by experiments. This changed as technology improved, as some of his predictions were testable.
- Some of experimental evidence would be; dilated lifetimes of mesons penetrating the Earths atmosphere, flying of atomic clocks to determine the existence of time dilation and the conversion of mass to energy in nuclear reactions.

a bit brief, but hope it helps somewhat :)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
but it doesnt specifically ask for maxwell's ideas? only how the results induced different theories to form and how it determined the model of light.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)