• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Philosophy for the Beginner (2 Viewers)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Not really sure on the "difficulty" level, but these are a few I have found introductory and interesting:

Fiction- (I like to begin here; note many are read in high school)

A Clockwork Orange: Anthony Burgess
Animal Farm + 1984: Orwell (I think a must)
Brave New World: Huxley
The Fountain Head + Atlas Shrugged: Ayn Rand

Also for a very short and interesting essay, read Orwell's "thoughts on a common toad."

I'm currently reading "An Illustrated History of Western Philosophy" by Anthony Kenny; its a great overview.

Marx's critique of Hegel is very interesting as is most of his political works. Hume is a must too, although I don't find him particularly 'easy'. JS Mill was very readable, I particularly enjoyed On Liberty, it formulated a lot of my opinions in respect to paternalism.

I think that The Prince, by Nicolo Machiavelli is very provoking.

untouchablecuz

HSC
Not really sure on the "difficulty" level, but these are a few I have found introductory and interesting:

Fiction- (I like to begin here; note many are read in high school)

A Clockwork Orange: Anthony Burgess
Animal Farm + 1984: Orwell (I think a must)
Brave New World: Huxley
The Fountain Head + Atlas Shrugged: Ayn Rand

Also for a very short and interesting essay, read Orwell's "thoughts on a common toad."

I'm currently reading "An Illustrated History of Western Philosophy" by Anthony Kenny; its a great overview.

Marx's critique of Hegel is very interesting as is most of his political works. Hume is a must too, although I don't find him particularly 'easy'. JS Mill was very readable, I particularly enjoyed On Liberty, it formulated a lot of my opinions in respect to paternalism.

I think that The Prince, by Nicolo Machiavelli is very provoking.
ive seen stanley kubrick's "clockwork orange" and i love it, is there merit in reading the book?
animal farm ive read, good book
brave new world ive read also, the whole middle part of it is so boring

with respect to marx, does one not require background knowledge of marxist theory and general political philosophy?

ive been meaning to read The Prince for a while now but i've never gotten the chance

thanks for the suggestions :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)