• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

phil131 (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
anyone doing this?

anyone else finding it extremely boring ?? (esp after 132 last sem)

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
I quite like it....the readings are a little long, but lots of the stuff really interests me.

However, my major criticism is that the lecturer goes TOO SLOW...I think he should adopt a way faster pace....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Oh the content is heaps good, finding some philosophers i really never read before, but yeah its the lecturer, i want to get to the actual concepts rather than just a history, i think is my main criticism.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I do Phil131 too. Its pretty interesting. The readings are a little long though.
The lecturer gives good explanations on the topic which is all he can really do in such a short time. Was Phil132 any good Asylum? I didn't do that last semester.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
yeah i found it in the same interest, but that was a lot more on concepts.

I just wished we'd hurry up from the history and talk about the actual metaphysical concepts each one possesses. I just feel like i enrolled into PHIL131: The history of Western Philosophy somtimes

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hehe yeah, itd be nice to learn about the eastern philosophies, im sure theres a course there somewhere :)

Ive got at least 3 years to find one anyway hehe

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
Yeah I agree I guess, the history is rather boring. Although some of the history has some ideas behind it. Like I find the whole "maths can explain everything" idea extremely interesting.....

But I would love to be able to get onto some of the current issues. I bet, though, that if you went and talked to them about the history etc. they would say that you need the fundamentals first before you move on. Just like all subjects. I guess there's no avoiding it.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, no doubting you need a foundation, but the amount of time we spent on actual concepts was minimal at best. With Socrates though, we are kinda moving at a faster rate, so i hope it keeps at this rate :)

There was a nice exploration of things, and i liked the explanations really helped me understand socrates the champ a bit better :)

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
One way to shortcut in this subject is to NOT read the readings. My theory is that the readings contain way too much information and that the lecture slides are adequate to understand what you need to know.

I could be wrong though...but I remember for PHIL137 it was exactly like that - lecture slides + look at them = do well in exams.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hehe, i tried to prescibe to that last semester, i sadly screwed up and realised i didnt know enough :)

doe

HSC
N/A
im yet to find a course on eastern philosphy at any university in sydney.

eastern philosphy is basically just shit happens, deal with it and western is why does shit happen?

my $0.02 ^_^

[edit] im doing phil249 this semseter, and its pretty interesting. its not too hard to meet the prereqs for 200 level phil subjects, and some of them are classified as science.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ahh shit ok :|

damn haha, i wanted to find one. I like that philosophy better, doesnt hurt the head. :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
highpingbastard said:
But philosophy that hurts the head is ever-so-fun!
=)
haha, of course it is until its time to pick yourself up after a sleepless night and read some of the theories and concepts haha :)

then its just torturous fun then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)