• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

People with UAI below Cutoffs (1 Viewer)

kido525

HSC
Hi guys i would like to start off by saying are u thinking of applying a engineering course at UTS but u are below the cutoff score by like 7 points or so and u have took advantage of the "MULTIPLE CRITERIA QUESTIONAIRE", do we still have a better chance at getting the into the course...

This is my situation i have got a UAI of 68.55 and the cutoff for a course i would like to do which is CIVIL ENGINEERING is 75.0 will my questionaire and UAI be combined and would it be likely that i would be accepted into the course?????

Or if they have no vacancies and they need people would they accept me if i really wanted to get in?

Is engineering at UTS ne good ?

Thx in regards please feel free to voice ur opinions and replies

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :)

Dj Fuzion

HSC
kido relax.....i havenjust the news for you. This is for Bus/Comp so it is likely it refers to your couse aswell and not faculty specific.

"The Faculty only sees, at this stage, the applications which include a personal statement. On those, it has the opportunity to add bonus points to your notional UAI. In extreme cases, when we think the applicant is deserving but who would not normally qualify for entry, we can even force an offer. People who do not bother to submit a personal statement do not get this opportunity. "

kido525

HSC
Dj Fuzion said:
kido relax.....i havenjust the news for you. This is for Bus/Comp so it is likely it refers to your couse aswell and not faculty specific.

"The Faculty only sees, at this stage, the applications which include a personal statement. On those, it has the opportunity to add bonus points to your notional UAI. In extreme cases, when we think the applicant is deserving but who would not normally qualify for entry, we can even force an offer. People who do not bother to submit a personal statement do not get this opportunity. "

So ur saying i have a fairly good chance since i did the questionaire and about the civil engineering i did some courses which lead to engineering i think i put it in the wrong words but something like that i did phys, chem and ext 1 maths but dropped it i think i get bonus points as well is that true?

Dj Fuzion

HSC
definatley! if they believe in you and you are below cutoff they will give you an offer (not exactly that easy, but you have to have a great questionare.)

desai

HSC
yeh my uai was also below the cut off, although i read somewhere that if you did subjects related to the engineering course you would get additional uai points - bonus 2 points for every relating subject which in my case applies for engineering studies, and maths ext1. also i completed the online questionairre

my uai was 85.95 my course cut off is 87.10. would i be assured a spot considering that i would be given 4 uai bonus points?

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
kido i got 68.55 also and i still got into my course which is telecommuncations engineering which needed 85, i think its coz i did physics, maths, and electronics and a good questionaire.

L

lucky

frenzal_dude said:
kido i got 68.55 also and i still got into my course which is telecommuncations engineering which needed 85, i think its coz i did physics, maths, and electronics and a good questionaire.

WTF ?? Frenzal are you saying you got into the University of Technology, Sydney undertaking BE (telecommunications) , DipEngPrac with an UAI of 68.55?????????

aaaman

Banned
HSC
uai cut offs dont mean shit besides unsw n uts are desperate to get numbers. usyd dont have many places to start of with and ppl are too narrow minded believeing the higher uai the better the course we call those failure in lives

JhK89

HSC
just asking... if i get a low uai i still have a chance to get into the course...? and wat do u mean by the courses.. im doing ext1 maths physics which are related to engineering...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
JhK89 said:
just asking... if i get a low uai i still have a chance to get into the course...? and wat do u mean by the courses.. im doing ext1 maths physics which are related to engineering...
Well the cut-offs for getting into the degrees go up and down so you need not worry overmuch about what it is at present. However there is this thing called a 'Personal Statement'(ie questionairre) that UTS allows you to submit that allows you to talk about yourself (and it goes towards you getting in) - depending on how the Statement is put together for the engineering faculty then excelling in related subjects could be a definite factor.

Last edited:

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
kami said:
Well the cut-offs for getting into the degrees go up and down so you need not worry overmuch about what it is at present. However there is this thing called a 'Personal Statement'(ie questionairre) that UTS allows you to submit that allows you to talk about yourself (and it goes towards you getting in) - depending on how the Statement is put together for the engineering faculty then excelling in related subjects could be a definite factor.
I thought the personal statement was only for postgrad's, or non-current school leavers, where do we get mopre info on the personal statment, and is it diffrent from the engineering multiple selection criteria thingy?

also, this is the first i've heard about excelling in certain subjects, getting you closer to the course you want to do, does that mean if i get a band 6 in SDD and IPT ( listed on UTS:eng site as engineering related subjects), that i will be closer to doing my software engineering or computer engineering course?

thanks kami, you seem to be the all knowing UTS helper :p

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
Dj Fuzion said:

i didn't realize that BBUScomp allowed you to sumbit a personal statment, like i asked above can current school leavers also submit a personal statement?.

thanks

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
just to clarify, i can submit a personal statement as a year 06 hsc student, for an engineering course?, do i need to submit multiple if i apply for multiple courses?

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
planning for 80-85, i'll prolly get about 70-75 , what im really interested in is computing and i would love to be able to do something at the IT faculty, however i don't think i'll attain the right uai. If i make it into a computer related engineering course ( Eng Soft or Eng Comp), and unless i like the course im hoping to transfer to computer science after my first semester.

:( , im also attempting to do some flexible entry applications for Usyd it faculty, if i don't make it, i rpolly be doing policing at uws lol, to do comp at UWS i'd have to move to Penrith :s

CandE

HSC
I am not sure iff they will have one this year, but they had a questionare last year. This allowed people like me who didn't do so well in the HSC to get in (I have heard of someone who got 55 and still got into mechanical). It was interesting how when the first semester results came out, the people who didn't do so well (and got fails in some subjects) were the people with the high UAIs, however those who had got a low UAI managed to pull distinctions and high distinctions. For example UAI low 60's, but got 1C 2D and 1HD after 1st semester exams!!!! Who said the UAI was a measure of how well you would do in uni?

Point is, if you do get a bad UAI, it is not the end of the world. Just try your best, take the questionare if it is offered this year, and you might suprise yourself!

Best of luck!

- what ever happened to kido? is he still in the course?

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah just because you have a high UAI doesnt necessarily mean youll do well in uni, hence if you get a low UAI, it doesnt mean that you'll do bad in uni

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
i agree, although for most of my subjects like maths, business, legal and English i am not doing so well, in other subjects like IPTand SDD i am doing excellent, for IPT i was chosen to do the course accelerated starting prelim in year 10, i got a band 6 for that and in SDD my teacher said i should easily attain a band 6.

So i know if i got into computer/IT related UNI course i would be egtting Dist and HD's all through. but, i guess i'll end up at UWS or some where else, while i'd rather be at UTS...

why don't they take the subject matter into consideration, it should be logical..

MoNNiE

HSC
indeed!

they look at whether or not you are generally interested in doing engineering --

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
ok, just put in my main round offers..., no more changes allowed, till we egt our offers.

i put the generic engineering course, at the last minute lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)