• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (1 Viewer)

utopian731

Eudaimonian
No one can relaly answer the original question of this thread ebcause everyone works diffferently, ahs different goals and idfferent abilities. I hardly worked and onyl narrowly missed by goal of 99.xx (98.95).

IF you are prepared to put in the work, I do recommend getting everything in order for all your subjects NOW, ie over summer..subject notes, etc.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
my maths teacher said that he was not going to spoon-feeding us, because he was preparing us for uni (this is at a selective school) ... furthermore, he said that if we managed to get into uni, we'd be fine ... because it the hsc would have been a do-it-yourself operation ...

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by Badaboom
I became a hermit for eight months, studied from 3.30pm to 9.00pm everyday, during my free periods, all throughout the holidays and right up until my last exam. Saying that, it was definately worth it!
Im glad you think that was worth it, what a waste of a year dude

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I became a hermit for eight months, studied from 3.30pm to 9.00pm everyday, during my free periods, all throughout the holidays and right up until my last exam. Saying that, it was definately worth it!
now, thats what i call studying hard ...

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

personally i think that's incredible and i'm amazed anyone could apply themselves like that without getting burnt out.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by !meeee!
quote:

personally i think that's incredible and i'm amazed anyone could apply themselves like that without getting burnt out.
I agree... that is amazing. I have an assessment coming up for 4u maths and I haven't applied myself to study for it :/ I am really annoyed about that I wish I'd grow up sometimes.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
thats amazing to keep it up for 8 months!

and I thought I was crazy with my 9am to 9pm at the library during stuvac...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
the time from the moment you officially leave school to *study* cough, cough ... to when your first exam ...

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by InfiniteQ

I believe hard work is the only key to get something over 98. It is not "easy" for the top 1% of the state to be where they are. They worked hard.
Hmmm, i not in agreeance with this, at least from a personaly pov. I hardly worked this year, there was a point where i didnt touch a maths book for 4 months, all i did was come to class. I guess because I knew i didnt ahve any pressure with UAI cutoffs, I had no rela drive to work to my potential. Plus there was my inherent disrespect for the methods of the HSC that didnt help. I still got 98.95 but I know I could have done much better, but I have no regrets, there was no use in slaving away for hours each night.

It seems in this thread a problem has been that everyone has different definitions of what hard work is. Ill just qualify what i mean when i say "hardly worked". I probably did about 6 hrs during the week in the average week and about4 hours on the weekend. I sudied about half the days in stuvac. It turned out to be enough, even though my internal drive to succeed was disappointed with the uai for no apparent reason :)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Hard work doesn't necessarily mean that you will score 98+. I;ve seen people who work really hard all year and only get 85-90 or low 90's.

You need hard work but also talent in certain subjects to get 98+. Personally I could never have done 10 hours study a day, to me that's crazy and I would end up burning out before I even got to the HSC. Instead I did about 2 hours every day during stuvac, took lots of breaks, went to the beach, and still ended up with 98.5. I was expecting 99.5+ but obviously that wasn't to be.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
as i said in some other post ... hard work is something like working an average of around 2-3 hours a day for most of the year ...

nomza

HSC
I will probably say a lot of things that will annoy ppl....but oh well, I hope I help at least ONE year 11 student...

The key in my opinion was RELAXATION.
I totally just relaxed....I took the first week of every stuvac I had off to just sleep. I slept like you would not believe, and it helped.

I got over 90 in four subjects and I can tell you the study that I did was minimal up until the last two weeks before the HSC began. I never studied during the week, I only did my homework and studied only if I had an assessment. I did not study in preparation for the HSC -- no notes or anything on week days during school terms.

What I found was that the notes that I made for each little assessment built up, and by the time the trials came I had many notes made, all I needed was to put them together and make sure I had notes for each dot point on the syllabus (I agree with each person that is praising this method).

ENGLISH: Figure out early on which method is best for you to learn quotes, saves time doing experimental cramming for trials (which happened to me). The method for me was to find the most striking or fitting SINGLE word (that you will remember) for each quote and then I would memorise them by putting the words to a tune of a song or a beat -- you may think, it's just a pile of words how will they make sense?? It's funnier if they don't make sense, helps you remember, especially if you laugh at how ridiculous it sounds -- it calms you in the exam and helps you remember.

MODERN: Usually the prime thing to remember are dates, I would have okay time remembering years but the months were hard. So I would associate the month with a friend/relative who had a birthday during that month....if I didn't know anyone, I would look up a celebrity who had a birthday in that month, worked so well. When it comes to WWI -- don't spend the bulk of your time studying it....you will only have to know things pretty generally, not in great detail. And basically in WWI you are ASSURED of getting at least 10/30....and if you are good at usefulness and reliability 20/30. That's my prime advise for the core. OH and with the evidence in WWI think broadly, analyse everything you see and read -- the basic who, what, where, when and why answer those q's in your head and you'll be fine.

OH, AND GET EXCEL!!!!! I basically taught myself the cold war coz I was away a lot and that book seriously saved my ass.

ANCIENT: My main key for ancient I guess is heading....that's what worked for me, and listing evidence logically under specific, bold headings. If you make your headings large and each dot point under the too (and remember the number of points you had) it is so easy to visualise and remember your notes. Other than that.....ancient is an extremely fair subject in terms of exams. They pretty much assure you that you'll be able to write essays on topics you know about because there are so many options and combinations of essays.

GEN. MATHS: Get the excel book and do the prac questions.

I know ppl won't be happy with this....but I didn't do past papers OR practice pre-prepared essays. I find this to be a mistake because it gives you false expectations of questions you might get. I find prac essays a big mistake, opt instead for a dot point of points you would make and how you would expand in the essay. It saves time and allows you to be able to be flexible in case you get a wordy question that may get you to have to deal with many other issues.

I studied with the tv on at a low volume, I can't study in silence and I have foxtel in my room so that was trouble. You can also trick yourself into spending hours on the internet and I suggest having a timer or something. Because you can go on the net to check a fact or something.....then will go, hmmm better check my email, then someone will come on msn.....next thing you know you've lost your alert period. So limit yourself and be tough in THAT particular aspect.

AND AGAIN, RELAX and do what works for you -- a lot of ppl won't be able to deal with some of the hours these extraordinary ppl put in....I know I was way too lazy and restless to. The most I prob studied in one day was 6 or 7 hours....and that was on a few days, definately not everyday.

You'll do fine.

nomza

HSC
Oh and nearly forgot...
if you start making a lot of spelling mistakes and the white out takes over -- take a break....

if you feel tired -- SLEEP!!!

Don't punish yourself....and if you study tired, chances are you won't remember what you studied the next morning anyway. So go to sleep and wake up early, recharged and ready to go.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i agree ... sleep and relaxation are highly important besides study ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)