• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Parametrics Help (1 Viewer)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Guys Can you help Me understand Parametrics. I get locus and stuff but parametrics gets me to a mind blankout. I cant think at all when I do parametrics. I just dont know what I donot understand and when I look back at how to do that problem the answer is so simple. Eg: The Points Pand Q on curve x=2at and y=at^2 have parameters p and q respectively. a) Show that PQ intersects the directrix at (2a(pq-1)/(p+q),-a).
The answer to a was so simple that all u had to do was use the equation of chord and simultaneous the equation of directrix yet i failed to recognise that. b) Find point of intersection of a focal chord (pq=-1) and directrix.
Now all u had to do here was sub pq in the equation in part a) yet again i failed to recognise this. Complex numbers and other stuff such as integration etc seem so much simpler to me than this. Why Is this so? How can I actually become very good at this topic before my math 3u yearly exam approaching in 1 week.

Please Help. PLease Please. PLease. Going Crazy trying to get really good at this when I cant even get through the easiest ones. :spzz:

Study notes

HSC
Try reading the proofs for the tangents, normals and chords I guess just remember the steps required to get to the certain form, the rest is just coordinate geometry stuff and algebra.

If that isn't the advice u were looking for, then keep practicing questions and ask someone to assist you. If you just can't see it at all... not sure what else u can do really. Keep practicing! :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I always suggest to draw a diagram before you begin, helps to understand things better.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Parametrics will always provide you will USEFUL information

eg. PQ is a focal chord, prove that ____ = ______

This means when u sub in the focus into chord PQ, it'll satisfy it and thus u will attain a CONDITION such as 'pq = -1'

All in all, FIND what they GIVE u

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
YES, exactly this. Diagrams are soooooo helpful for me with locus q's
In terms of finding the locus of a point, let the values of the point equal x and y respectively, then eliminate parameters. In most cases its simply just completing the square and then subbing in values, from the x and the previous parts calculated ie. pq=-1

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I get all that. But then when it comes to analysing the actual question, my brain freezes. I have tried my hardest to solve those question but its like my genetics just dont support parametrics. Complex Numbers is a piece of cake for me while for others its annoying. I just dont know what to do? THere is no way I am loosing my atar aim just because of parametrics in 2014.

So can someon please offer help on how to study parametrics instead of telling me answers. I had already figured out answers but its just that I need to know how to study parametrics so I become really good at it.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I have the exact same problem but with parametric loci.

I don't get it, I can do complex numbers loci questions like nothing, but for some reason with parametric loci it is just plain odd.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Logically deduce as many results or facts (eg a point lines on this line so it should satisfy the equation when you sub it in) as you can then try it from there

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I don't know. Maths in Focus does not provide good locus questions.
But I sure do know Terry Lee does for 4-unit (I've never seen his 3-unit textbook).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)