• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Only 48cps for Arts in Arts/Laws (1 Viewer)

Politic

HSC
N/A
In the Arts/Laws degree at Macquarie, you only have space for 48cps ie. a major and 24cps to muck around with.

To those who are doing the degree at Macquarie, do you find this is enough?

I personally have 4 areas of study I would like to do within Arts but with the 24cps remaining after the major I feel that's not really enough to do the other 3 justice.

Thoughts? I am contemplating just doing a single Arts degree so I can enjoy the flexibility and do graduate Law later if that's still what I wish to do. It would be hard to turn down a combined law degree if I got the ATAR though, but the lack of space for Arts units is concerning me.

Anyway, let me know what you think :)

Atlas

HSC
N/A
In the Arts/Laws degree at Macquarie, you only have space for 48cps ie. a major and 24cps to muck around with.

To those who are doing the degree at Macquarie, do you find this is enough?

I personally have 4 areas of study I would like to do within Arts but with the 24cps remaining after the major I feel that's not really enough to do the other 3 justice.

Thoughts? I am contemplating just doing a single Arts degree so I can enjoy the flexibility and do graduate Law later if that's still what I wish to do. It would be hard to turn down a combined law degree if I got the ATAR though, but the lack of space for Arts units is concerning me.

Anyway, let me know what you think :)
Combined law programs are more structured than the single degree meaning that you will have less "electives" to play around with. However, even though your program specifies a certain amount of credit points required to be awarded the Arts/Law - you have the option of doing additional majors through your Arts side (check with academic advice on enrolment about how many you can do). But note that there is a restriction (I think) on how many majors an appear on your final testamur (I think it was 2 - not sure). The other thing is if you choose to do additional majors, that will obviously mean more time at uni.

You may want to consider other options such as; keeping one area of study as a research thesis for honours, or seeing how some of your interests overlap, doing research or structured coursework master/postgraduate certificates/diplomas in your area of interest.

Personally, if you are keen on law and they offered you the combined option, I would pick it, this way you don't have the pressure of maintaining a certain GPA to fight your way back into graduate law later on.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Can I just say, quit fucking bumping, its the fucking weekend, most people are busy with assignments, if you want advice/information read the goddamn MQ site or use the search function, a lot of what you've asked has been covered to death.

Use some fucking initiative and find shit out for yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)