• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

On Line Study Group (1 Viewer)

sc0tty101

What part of Industrial Disputes don't you understand. Look at the Syllabus and work out which parts.

Christie35

like, you know how - or well we were told we needed a recent one and we were meant to get info about the teacher strikes, but i sooo don't get it

THE IMPORTANCE OF EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT

Management is the process of achieving objectives effectively with and through other people. This is a process undertaken by a manager, and is achieved through POLC.

Planning is a major primary function. Planning is a preparation of predetermined course of action for a business. It includes setting a mission statement and organization objectives. It outlines the HOW of achieving management objectives.
PLANNING is a process whereby the manager defines realistic and achievable goals, establish strategies by which to achieve those goals, and develop plans outlining these goals and strategies.

ORGANISING this process involves interpreting plans and identifying the tasks that need to be done. A process of delegating will follow this, after deciding on who will do the tasks and how they will do them.

LEADING refers to directing and motivating workers.

CONTROLLING involves monitoring and evaluating actual performance against plans. This activity also requires improvement being made where this is necessary.

An EFFECTIVE manager is one who is able to select organisational goals and achieve them.

Managers need to be proactive (taking direct actions to control events) and have knowledge about their business.

MANAGEMENT ROLES

INTERPERSONAL

Figurehead - perform roles which symbolise their position within the business - great authority.

Leader - motivates employees

Liaison - Establishes and maintains a network of contacts and interacts with other organistions

INFORMATIONAL

Monitor - seeks and receives information from a variety of sources to gain a better understanding of the business and its environment

Disseminator - shares information with a selection of employees within the business.

Spokesperson - presents information to external stakeholders regarding the business's plans, policies, results and structure.

DECISION MAKING

Entrepreneur - scans the environment for opportunities and initiates projects to improve performance, thus bringing about change.

Disturbance handler- deals with issues and crises inside and outside the business and takes corrective action

Resource allocator - Decides who should get what resources and allocates the human, financial, physical and informational resources.

Negotiator - Participates in negotiations with other parties

SKILLS OF MANAGEMENT -

PEOPLE SKILLS - the ability to work with people effectively and harmoniously

STRATEGIC THINKING - ability to see the business as a whole

VISION - a clear, shared sense of direction so as to achieve a common goal

FLEXIBILITY AND ADAPTABILITY TO CHANGE - the ability to anticipate, respond and adapt to change

SELF MANAGING - set personal goals and achieve and evaluate them whilst maintaing a realistic idea about personal strengths and weaknesses.

TEAMWORK - such as the ability to listen, support and interact

COMPLEX PROBLEM SOLVING AND DECISION - MAKING - the ability to break down a problem, identify the implications and find the most suitable solution.

ETHICAL AND HIGH PERSONAL STANDARDS - Ethical standards relates to the ability to devise and implement a standard of behaviour which emphasises the relationship between customers and suppliers.

RESPONSIBILITY TO STAKEHOLDERS-
 Manage change

Stakeholders want a business to survive and for this to happen, business must manage change in both its internal and external environments.
 Social justice

This is the idea that business has a responsibility to consider the impacts of its actions on society. Business should use its expertise and resources to contribute to society, for example by increasing employment during a recession.

 Ecological sustainability

This is the concept that business development should leave the environment in the same condition for future generations. This can be practiced by business by recycling their waste materials, adopting greenhouse abatement measures or using biodegradable products.

 Compliance with the law

This is the responsibility of business to act lawfully according to government regulation and legislation. Some of the legislations that have emerged over the last few decades include;

The Corporations Act 1989
Occupational Health and Safety Act 1983
Anti – Discrimination Act 1984
Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Act 1986
Sex discrimination Act 1984

While many of these Acts were enacted several years ago, it doesn’t make them any less important because they are constantly being added to and amended as the situation requires, not only in the business situation but also within society generally.

 Codes of practice

These are a collection of regulations, rules and standards relating to a particular industry of profession. They are not necessarily enforceable at law, but are important in the day to day running of a business from an ethical point of view. For example, there are codes of practice relating to the advertising industry, legal and accounting professions and the retail industry.
RECONCILLING CONFLICTS OF INTEREST -

Conflict of interest can occur between management and the environment, employees and management and government and management over such things as the destruction of the environment, rates of pay and working conditions and social justice issues. It is the responsibility of management to ensure that conflict is kept to a minimum and that any conflict that does arise is reconciled as quickly and efficiently as possible.

MANAGING CHANGE- Every organization is subject to change from both external and internal and structural sources. Managers who can best adapt to change will most likely be successful

EXTERNAL influences include

 Political
 Economical
 Financial
 Geographical
 Legal
 Social
 Technological development
 Changing nature of markets

PIGLETS!

INTERNAL influences include

 Effects of accelerating technology
 New systems and procedures
 New business cultures

STRUCTURAL influences include

 Outsourcing
 Flat Structure
 Strategic alliances
 Networks

REASONS FOR RESISTANCE TO CHANGE

Change is often met with resistance which managers should overcome. The fear of the unknown, of loss and that change is not in the best interest of the organization are problems.

FINANCIAL COSTS

~New equipment

~Redundancy payments

~Retraining workforce

~Reorganising plant layout

INERTIA

~Lack of interest

~Refusal to cooperate by managers/owners

~Fear of failure

CULTURAL INCOMPATABILITY

~Possible culture clash

~Different work practises

STAFFING CONSIDERATIONS

~De skilling

~Acquiring new skills

~Loss of career prospects
FORCE FIELD ANALYSIS is concerned with ways to break the equilibrium between the forces of change and resistance. This model of unfreeze / change / refreeze highlights the importance of creating the right culture of change before actually implementing new proposals.

When considering change managers must look to the broader social and environmental contexts in order to be pro – active.

lilmzqt

+.~*Special*~.+
HSC
Modern Hot Chic said:
it's just the notes i sent you, i'm just posting them up for other people's benefit
lol yeh i started reading after i posted nd was like "hey...i swear i read this b4" haha i can act so blonde sumtimes.....oh well.....

sc0tty101

Christie35 said:
What's all that suff about Deographic, or something like that?
Do you mean Demographics in regard to Marketing?

If so then its do with Marketing, under the heading of Developing marketing strategies, and breaks down further as part of Market Segmentation and Product/Service Differenetiation.

Basically what this is how a business breaks down the entire market (that is ALL the customers/consumers in the world)into smaller groups based on characteristics. Its just common sense as obviously you cant have a product that is suitable for everyone, so the idea is by segementing the market, and generating a 'target market' you can appeal specifically to those customers.

There are 3 ways of segmenting the market.
These are.

Geographic - Breaking it up by location. Ie. If you own a business near the beach, then you don't sell Snow Jackets and Ski equipment. Instead you would try and stock things relevant to the beach (location) such as Surfboards, Bikini's bla bla bla.

Demographic - This is more to do with the actual customer and there characteristics. It involves looking at things such as age, gender, income and so on. An example of this would be a Ferrari. Obviously it is not a car to advertise to older people (generally speaking), nor is it wise to stick a billboard in the middle of Africa (generalising again :( ) as the majority of people wouldnt be able to afford it. With Ferrari's case, they would target young/middle aged males with a high socio-economic status (RICH).

Behavioural - This focuses on segmenting the market with regards to Purchase Occasion (Eg. Xmas cards sell best at Xmas time). Benfits sought (Buying a product for its status/prestige, or with toothpaste brands having 'whiteening' toothpaste will appeal to the younger generation because white teeth are cool???). Usage rate (Either light, medium, or heavy users. The idea being to target the heavy users with marketing). And User Loyalty...

Just remember this is all about targeting marketing strategies towards the people that will buy your product. Generally its common sense so if you can't remember it during the exam, just try and use some common sense in working out how a business might break there customers up. Old, young, man, women, rich, poor etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

sc0tty101

Modern Hot Chic said:
does anyone have notes they could post up specifially on
UNDERSTANDING BUSINESS ORGANISATIONS WITH REFERENCE TO MANAGEMENT THEORIES

in rleation to case studies
What case studies are you doing Modern Hot Chic?

Personally I am using Qantas, and I am making up a business so it will be suitable for any question they can throw at me.

nik_noodle

HSC
hey, i just finished my global notes and came online to get the syllabus for HR (seem to be missing a page...go my organisation.... :p) and decided to pop onto BOS (been so busy havent come on for weeks) and saw this forum...good idea guys...wish i'd seen it earlier.
anyway, im doing golden circle and sara lee corporation, if that helps anyone (i do food tech as well..i managed to double a few of my case studies over) let me know and i can send you my notes. Golden Circle notes are rather primative, but i did a huge assessment on SLC so they're pretty detailed. follows the syllabus through most points.
anyway, i need food..kinda forgot about breakfast dis morn :p
love ya's
nikki

FcUk

Modern Hot Chic said:
qantas and cambells, and southcorp and forsters
Management theories with regards to Qantas

It used to have a classical-scientific management structure because it had:
- various levels of power and authority (hierarchical)
- Highly centralised decision making
- Long chain of command
and so on......
in '95' it was privatised therefor it had to become more efficeient and profitable
Behavioural
- greater emphasis on HR Mgmt
- Provide leader ship - e.g. Geoff Dixon has desirable traits
- flatter structure - Qantas just restructured its org. into 8 separate business units

Political
- Negotiation o enterprise agreements (matching salary to improved performance/productivity)

Contingency
- Mgmt practices at Qantas now more flexibe and adpated to suit changing circumstances - e.g responding to SARS, Iraq war etc.....

hope this helps a bit :D

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
btw are you ppl studying for modules at the moment solely , or doing a bit of business too

i feel like doing soemthign but im worried all my notes on modules in my head will dissapear !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)