• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Obama's speech to be banned before it's even heard? (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
The republicans will oppose anything obama does. If Obama cures cancer, the republicans will spin it into 'Obama wants doctors to have no jobs'.

The parents of the students who want to pull their children from the classroom so they don't listen to the speech are extremely close-minded. This is a perfect opportunity to review the speech with their children and to make rational arguments why Obama is wrong.

Anyway as the aricle already states, he is going to talk about doing better in schools rather then outline his policies.

Tangent

HSC
This politicises schools. I am consistent in my position that no politician should be able to address school children in this way regardless of their message. Are you?
It isnt just addresses that politicises schools. I mean, wouldn't Rudd giving laptops to 'every' school kid be considered the same? It also leads to using technology in school. Maybe its for the greater good?

HSC
It isnt just addresses that politicises schools. I mean, wouldn't Rudd giving laptops to 'every' school kid be considered the same? It also leads to using technology in school. Maybe its for the greater good?
This.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
I initially was supportive of the speech however after reading the article and some further thinking I can not support it.

I think there is a lot of hyperbole about this issue and I in no way think that this is a case of the glorious leader rallying the children. However I do take the point that this should be viewed in the same way as prayer in schools - which I am opposed to. I also agree that regardless of the content of the speech it is politicised and I don't believe that schools are a place for party-political messages - as the article says imagine if Bush had proposed delivering a speech to all students....
I mildly agree (but come on - it's a speech about staying in school and doing well), but the way the Republican party is framing it is ridiculous.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Laptops in schools is a policy/program of the Rudd government and is therefore permissable. Interesting to note though that the AEC ruled that signage in schools promoting the stimulus package constituted a political advertisement.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
I'm fairly certain it's all a smokescreen before every school student is handed a copy of the little red book (or would it be long legged half breed book) and forced to learn the tenets of Das Kapital.

Sprangler

HSC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/06_09_09_obama_speech.pdf

No matter which way you look at it, neither the speech itself nor the delivery can be called politicized. I don't like the comparisons to prayer or religion either. A religious speech, or a speech about religion, doesn't belong in a school. It has no place in a state school because it has nothing to do with school, a speech about doing well in school, however, does.

Gobama!!!

HSC
I think, regardless of whether it is politically motivated or not, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)