• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

NT planning mandatory reporting of suspected underage sex (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Condom controversy hits NT teens

Pharmacists in the Northern Territory would have to report any 15-year-old buying condoms under new underage sex laws, the Territory's Minister for Child Protection has confirmed.

The Australian Medical Association has described the legislation as unworkable because it makes it illegal not to report teenagers under 16 years of age who are sexually active.

The AMA warns the laws could increase teenage pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections because young people would be afraid of seeking sexual health advice and contraception.

Malarndirri McCarthy has told Triple J's Hack program that under the new laws, pharmacists would be obliged to inform authorities about teenagers under 16 years of age buying condoms.

"The information would go to the central intake team which is part of the Northern Territory Families and Children Department," Ms McCarthy said.

"And then they would decide whether that goes on obviously to the police.

"And then they would make that observation as to whether they investigate."
Condom controversy hits NT teens - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/04/22/46661_ntnews.html

Under proposed laws, any suspected incidents of underage sexual activity would be legally required to be reported, even if both parties are consenting and under 16.

Mandatory reporting of suspected sex crimes means anyone who is aware of underage sex must report it to health authorities, who tell police.

This would include purchasing condoms and consultation with doctors, teachers and family members about safe sex and contraception.

Malarndirri McCarthy has made comments suggesting, under the new laws criminal prosecution would be applied to under 16's engaging in consensual sex.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Yay for telling people what they can do with their own bodies ^_^

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
We live in a society based on the rule of law.

Damn the consequences. Damn reality. I'd damn it all to hell.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
this is ridiculous. not sure how they're even allowed to do that. but hey.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
the only possible outcome of this would be the 15 & 16 year olds just having unsafe sex instead... actual reduction in underage sex would be negligible imo

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't have thought that those who have sex with underage children would really consider the need to wear condoms.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
read the article

"What we're trying to do is protect young people from predators who are much older - and reduce the high instances of STIs in young people," - Milarndirri McCarthy
I fail to see how it would protect young persons from older sexual predators.

Learn to read the whole article. Not just the catchlines.

Last edited:
HSC
The only thing that separates us from the barbarians in the middle east is that we wont be flogging the teens 100 times.

fuck this.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
that is so gross and backward.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Keeping criminals off the street, imho.

Your "honest opinion" is null and void because your a fucked up cockstain who knows nothing about the real world or human life. /rant

As the the topic, wtf?

Seriously, if its consensual, then whats the problem? Two 15 year olds want to go at it in the bush, let them, just aslong as they are consenting to one another and using protection.

The fact they want to report to authorities on the basis of condom purchases for under 16 year olds is fucking bizzare, along with talking to doctors and other medical personal.

And how STI's will be limited is complete idiocy.

fleckar

HSC
Your "honest opinion" is null and void because your a fucked up cockstain who knows nothing about the real world or human life. /rant
It was sarcasm. Are you Arab? It would explain why my post got you so enraged that you couldn't see it.

I doubt the laws will pass, and even if they do, it'll be like jaywalking. Pharmacists would rather that kids buy condoms to prevent pregnancy & STI's. If they do pass, there will be a lot of community centers etc giving out condoms for free.

Last edited:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
It was sarcasm. Are you Arab? It would explain why my post got you so enraged that you couldn't see it.

I doubt the laws will pass, and even if they do, it'll be like jaywalking. Pharmacists would rather that kids buy condoms to prevent pregnancy & STI's. If they do pass, there will be a lot of community centers etc giving out condoms for free.
How did u link sarcasm and being part of a middle eastern country?

Your sarcasm is, quite frankly, horse shit. I based my judgement of your post off the other posts you've been leaving around BoS.

The laws are sitting on the fence really. I could understand if Doctors had to report known Sex offenders or if they become sus of something, but reporting kids to authorities is just bizarre.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
If you're under 16, you'll no longer be able to obtain condoms if you want to have sex with other people under 16.

The obvious solution if you're under 16, is to seek out and have sex exclusively with older people.

If you want to have sex with people under 16, you should wait until you're over 16.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)