• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

notes (1 Viewer)

amaccas

HSC
N/A
What do people think on using other sets of notes in exams other than your own (ie you receive a nice set of notes from someone who has been diligent enough to compile them the previous semester)?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I wouldn't trust them. But I'm a control freak like that :p

Maybe if you went through them yourself extensively, and highlighted important bits, clarified others, explained things to yourself in ways you understand etc, then it might be okay. So, in effect, using the notes as a skeleton framework that you built upon.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Generally I only use notes prepared by others when I have been involved in preparing them, my friends and I often get together and make concise notes together, in my experience its difficult to use others notes because they dont make sense to you.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
amaccas said:
What do people think on using other sets of notes in exams other than your own (ie you receive a nice set of notes from someone who has been diligent enough to compile them the previous semester)?
if they're short and simple, yea probably
some people write really long notes though and its just too hard to study off or use in the exam

= Jennifer =

HSC
I never use other people's notes, I am a control freak I prefer my own.

Primarily because than I know that I have read the material, done the work and the notes are written in the way I understand it. Sometimes I might just check with the lecturer on the principles and how I have written something to see whether it is correct.

It is so much easier, although more time consuming when you do it yourself because than you know you know it and further when you have an open book exam you know exactly where it is because you are the person who did the formatting and structure.

As you have obtained a set of substantial notes I would make my own notes and use their notes as possibly a guide or for some additional info or if something is worded a way you understand than I suppose you might copy them into your notes.

Hope this helps.

amaccas

HSC
N/A
but if u copy stuff into your own notes ... isn't that plagiarising (if u copy out the principle from their notes in the exam)?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
amaccas said:
but if u copy stuff into your own notes ... isn't that plagiarising (if u copy out the principle from their notes in the exam)?
Because the legal principle would be different if you wrote the same principle down in your own notes? Using other people's notes is fine, just don't expect to do as well as if you'd bother to learn the material for yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)