• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Not being realistic. (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Some people aren't telling the truth. 3/4 of the posts I have seen about UAI's are from people aiming above 90, and half of those are aiming over 95.

It's time to tell the truth, who is not being realistic about their target UAI???

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
some of the guys here are complete work-a-holics (although I can't see why if they spend all their spare time here on the forums)

Like my music extension majorworks. I spent sooo much time... and skipped school to do it. I want E4 DAMNIT!!! You kinda expect a good mark if you've put in the ridicukous amounts of effort.

Yeah. My target UAI is 87, and I'm being VERY unrealistic.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
No matter how much effort you put in there are always going to be people who just aren't smart enough. You can't base your target UAI simply on the amount of work you did. I wonder if thats what people in here are doing.

~~Jess~~

HSC
i want high 70s low 80s, really wanted be a physio but thats outta reach so im aiming for sports science.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
No matter how much effort you put in there are always going to be people who just aren't smart enough. You can't base your target UAI simply on the amount of work you did. I wonder if thats what people in here are doing.
I'm sure that's probably it.
hehehe.... all my courses don't have a UAI cutoff... *relaxes*....NOT

DaRanjed

I'll be SO happy if I get 85. I'm not gonna say that's what I think I'll get because I don't wanna jinx myself. Seriously, I think 85 is aiming a bit high for me.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
I'm being realistic in saying that my target is in the 90s. What I would really love is 95+ so I can get into Arts/Law at ANU. My assessments were pretty much all 90+, so as long as I don't majorly screw up the exams I think 90 is acheivable.

G

Gavvvvvin

Well Ill tell the truth and say I'm expecting around the 70 mark. I had the potential to get well into the 90s, but I became lazy and stopped trying :(

mishka

HSC
N/A
i don't think people are being unrealistic, they're just a bunch of smart cookies!! :)

and even if they ARE lying, they're only kidding themselves, so don't worry too much about it. ;)

skittlebrau

Well, ideally, I want 90. But a goal is just that... something to WORK towards. There's no point saying, "I'm aiming for over 30." Because then I've got nothing to work for!

I'll be ok as long as I get over 84.

G

Gavvvvvin

gemita said:
That was directed at DeathlessOne's comment, btw, not mishka's. Which is oh-so-true.
Are you implying that I'm unintelligent?

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
No, not at all. I just think it's silly how people need to justify their goals. It's like you're basically saying that yeah, you're really smart but too cool to do anything about it.

"I had the potential to get well into the 90s" - how can you be so sure of that? It just came out sounding obnoxious.

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
Hey, sure if i had chosen all the extension courses, done more than 10 units - just in case one stuffed up - although i dont get that theory cuz if you do an extra subject isnt that just less work you can put into every other one - and not had any sort of life, fun or anything. I could have probably aced the HSC, il admit it, im pretty good at school. I just think that life itself is more important. They say school is supposed to be the best years of your life but how can it be when you dont enjoy it. I feel good about the last two years, cuz iv done it and had fun the whole way. Oh and my true aim is 70's whether or not i get it, im not sure, but hey thats why i did the stat test!!

G

Gavvvvvin

gemita said:
No, not at all. I just think it's silly how people need to justify their goals. It's like you're basically saying that yeah, you're really smart but too cool to do anything about it.

"I had the potential to get well into the 90s" - how can you be so sure of that? It just came out sounding obnoxious.
Nah Im not saying Im too cool!
I wanted to go well!
I wish I wouldve went well!
Im jealous of everyone who has gone well!
I even tried to go well, but I just lost all interest in school during year 12.
Oh well Ill probably be kicking myself in a few years time :(

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
I know, it's hard to stay positive when everything you learn seems to be focused on how to pass an exam. You won't be kicking yourself though, I'd say it's the opposite. A few years after the HSC it means nothing. Plus there are so many ways to get into uni now.

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
gemita said:
No, not at all. I just think it's silly how people need to justify their goals. It's like you're basically saying that yeah, you're really smart but too cool to do anything about it. "I had the potential to get well into the 90s" - how can you be so sure of that? It just came out sounding obnoxious.
i know what you're saying, it DOES seem like some people aren't being realistic (and i'm sure there are some who aren't), but there are probably a number of people from selective schools/geniuses who are posting these marks and being very realistic (don't worry about this - this is the extreme end of the top UAIs in the state, in no way is it normal). My school has done UAI estimates for years and they are always really accurate, so I am pretty sure of what my UAI will be. (I also did half my subjects last year so I have more of a reason to be sure of what I'm gonna get, but I'm just a different case. )

Just trying to put up a different view to your arguments, not in any way trying to sound obnoxious. I know personally that I will definitely get over 90 and very likely get around 96, due to the above reasons. BUT i also believe that anyone who is HAPPY with their marks has got a good mark, no matter whether its 99.3 or a UAI of minus 10. (i think i mentioned this in an earlier post).

I do agree that it comes across as really egocentrical with people saying things like "I'll be SO disapointed if i only get 98" and that kinda shit, and i think people should be a little more careful on these posts - people are saying this stuff all the time in schools like mine, and its looked upon as "normal", BUT when posting here it could come across totally wrong to people who aren't used to being surrounded by genius freaks. So people offended by these posts/ and posting stuff like that should consider these points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)