• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Newspapers (1 Viewer)

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
hmmmm which newspaper should i buy for examples for crime. which has the most legal related stuff?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I don't wanna say it, but generally the Daily Telegraph has more court cases reported in it because it's more of a gossipy paper. So for cases... the DT *I feel dirty*.

If you're looking more at jurisprudence then the SMH usually has more of that sort of stuff in it with speeches or excerpts of speeches by members of the Judiciary or other legal academics.

swangal

our teacher always used to cut stuff out of the SMH for us...:D...But any of the bigger newspapers will always cover high profile legal cases... or u can just look stuff up on lawlink ( cant remember the website addy) for lesser known cases that u can be used.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
um *shrugs dont know
but students at our school are able to subscribe to the SMH therefore i use that one!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You know what, in the end, newspaper articles are only really required for your options

adamj

All Newspapers have merits, I mainly refered to the Sydney Morning Herald. If you go to www.news.com.au, you have access to all the newspapers pretty much.

I also find that refering to credible sources such as Government research is a must in making an opinion or expressing effectiveness. Sources such as the Law Reform Commission.

santaslayer

HSC
SMH......esp when ur looking at international crime.....go to the world section...i got 4 articles once...lol

= Jennifer =

HSC
yeah i use the SMH...and not really the daily telegraph even though they set out the cases neatly and place case notes....maybe the smh sould write like a subheading "suited for crime hsc year" lol...how nice and easy would that be for us

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I picked up a lot of Intl. Crime from the BBC. The SMH usually sources the articles for the Intl. section from other papers anyway...

I noticed that CNN has a section totally devoted to Law on their frontpage, Australian media should do that too!

santaslayer

HSC
daily telegraph is good too..but it really depends on ur teacher......my teacher was lazy so he prefeered the daily tele (less reading)...lol but i still gave him SMH articles.....haha

adamj

What must be remembered: The Media is not the legal view, in fact it could be said that we look at the law through the media in legal studies and the issues they see, rather than through a judicial proceedure.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah, most of my assignments tend to emphasise that point actually. Always say that the media often over-hypes law and order issues especially those such as crimes against the person. They only pick on economic crimes if they're huge e.g. Quintex, NAB currency trading losses etc or interesting like a banker who stole millions of dollars from the bank and spent it on his gambling habit...

Hoyin

HSC
N/A
just remember to buy newspaper at least 2 3 times a week.. mostly daily tele... but u can get others too...
cuz when u need those for ur assignments... during that time when ure doin that topic.. there might not be many cases on it....
try not dumb away these easy marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)