• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

NEED HELP WITH WORKING OUT plzzzzzz (1 Viewer)

Nerd Queen

"Oh God, I could be bounded in a nut-shell, and co
HSC
I'm trying, keyword, trying to study for the half yearlies but i am having great difficulty with a certain question. this question was in my last assesment task and has just popped up in a revision sheet i got

write the quadratic equation whose roots are 2+(root 5) and 2-(root 5)

sorry dont know how to do the square root sign on pc.

anyway in the assement i had the working for this wrong but the answer right.

what i did was i added the roots and times them to find ( alpha + beta ) or -b/a and ( alpha x beta ) or c/a

then worked out that the equation would be:

x^2-4x+1=0

which is the right answer but how am i supposed to work it out? is there a formula that i missed?

plz, i need help urgently. if anyone can help me i will owe them BIG TIME

MATHS EXAM IN 6 days ..........according to my calculations

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
[x-(2+./5)][x-(2-./5)]

= x^2 - x(2-./5) - x(2+./5) + (2-./5)(2+./5)
= x^2 - 2x + x./5 - 2x - x./5 + 4 - 5
= x^2 - 4x - 1

are you sure the answer was x^2 - 4x + 1? :confused:

Nerd Queen

HSC
yes i am sure... i just figured it out anyway, found in on some website through google... the formula thing anyway .... and the answer still works out the same

the thingy i found was

( x - alpha )( x - beta ) = 0

it worked i am so relieved

thanx for trying to help

Trev

stix
HSC
Your working is wrong because you have not included the whole 'root' in brackets, or whatever. Take note of Dreamerish!...
[x-(2+./5)][x-(2-./5)] There are brackets in that question, you have excluded them so you have resulted with,
( x - 2 +./5)( x - 2 -./5) rather than;
( x - 2 -./5)( x - 2 +./5) if you take away the brackets, remember the negative sign is there!
EDIT: I am wrong, they are still the same.

Last edited:

Nerd Queen

HSC
yea i know and i did that in my head cuz the negative of one of the roots would have been the same as the other.

i re-did it anyway

i got all the same working but.... *nerd queen honorably accepts defeat* ... i might have (DID) made a small mistake.

i was so into beleiving that the answer i had was right ( because the teacher marked it right) that i didn't think when i was adding the last part and as a result got

4 - 5 = 1 rather than -1

thanx 4 that

*Nerd Queen hangs head in shame*

its always the stupid things like that that make me loose marks.

Thanx again

Trev

stix
HSC
That's okay, I tend to lose marks for stupid errors and small things I overlook.
Yes, you are correct that they are both the same - so I edited my post. The humilty! :p

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Nerd Queen said:
There's nothing 4 YOU to feel humiliated about. I'm the one who cant do simple addition and subtraction. :)

*Nerd Queen sobs quietly in corner*

But I'm NOT WORRIED (*cough*)
Those errors are normal. I was still getting things like 2*3 wrong in exams leding up to the hsc. Some notable errors I made in actual exams include 2*3 = 5, a0 = 0, 24 - 8 = 18 and so forth

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Nerd Queen said:
Really? its nice to know that I'm not alone in making stupid mistakes. But trust me I've

made stupider mistakes than that! I really need to learn to think carefully about what I am

doing. But there lies a danger in wasting time!
Yes, however that was a year ago now. Those mistakes are long gone now and they will go for you the more you practice :) Id hate to lose marks like that in uni maths, especially since the questions in advanced maths are so damn hard already!

Trev

stix
HSC
acmilan said:
Those errors are normal. I was still getting things like 2*3 wrong in exams leding up to the hsc. Some notable errors I made in actual exams include 2*3 = 5, a0 = 0, 24 - 8 = 18 and so forth
Ah yes, i'm a lost cause when it comes to basic arithmetic. :rolleyes:

Nerd Queen

HSC
I hope they do go away. I get really angry that I lose marks over stupid things like that. Did you do prac papers and past papers and stuff? cuz that is supposed to be a big help. I've been planning to do some things like that for a while but time is valuable right now, there just doesn't seem to be enough. Also because we haven't done every single topic yet I get put off those things very easily when it comes to a question I don't know how to do. More than anything I need to be "self-motivated", but I just can't seem to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)