• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need help choosing where to study (I live in California) (1 Viewer)

dirtybeatles

HSC
I want to do the Study Abroad program through my school: UC Santa Cruz, but I'm having a hard time deciding where I should go.

I am female, love to party and smoke weed (want to attend a "party school" if possible), and have a 3.4ish GPA (I'm not sure if you have the same system, but that's A's and B's). I usually get along better with guys than girls. I prefer warm weather, but anything is really better than cold, rainy Santa Cruz, and weather isn't really a deal-breaker. I'm planning on being a Writing major (specifically Creative Writing, but it doesn't look like any of these Unis have that program as far as I can tell, so I'll just be taking General writing courses).

These are all my options (I am sad that Mac isn't on there, as that was my first choice):

The Australian National University, Canberra
Flinders University, Adelaide
La Trobe University, Melbourne
Monash University, Melbourne
The University of Adelaide
The University of Melbourne

The University of New South Wales, Sydney
The University of Queensland, Brisbane
The University of Sydney

University of Tasmania, Hobart
The University of Western Australia, Perth
University of Wollongong

I bolded the ones I am considering most, but I am open to anything.

I know so little about the Australian education system, and it's been really hard to find any "real" info, about quality of life and what schools are known for what. You guys are my only hope.

Let me know what you think about the different schools, and what would be the best options for living if I attended them. This is a big deal, as I don't particularly want to live in dorms again, I'd rather live in an apartment. I also would rather live with Australians than other foreign exchange students as I don't want my experience to be touristy, and from what I've read, it seems most exchange students are Asians who keep to themselves.

Also, since I won't have a car (I don't know how common it is to have a car when you're at uni, there), I don't want to feel isolated. I want to be in a city where I can get around, and get from school to fun and interesting things as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Anyways, please give me help! I don't want to spend 9 months of my life at a school I end up hating, I want to make the right choice.

-Jill

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
dirtybeatles said:
I am female, love to party and smoke weed (want to attend a "party school" if possible), and have a 3.4ish GPA (I'm not sure if you have the same system, but that's A's and B's). I usually get along better with guys than girls. I prefer warm weather, but anything is really better than cold, rainy Santa Cruz, and weather isn't really a deal-breaker. I'm planning on being a Writing major (specifically Creative Writing, but it doesn't look like any of these Unis have that program as far as I can tell, so I'll just be taking General writing courses).

Let me know what you think about the different schools, and what would be the best options for living if I attended them. This is a big deal, as I don't particularly want to live in dorms again, I'd rather live in an apartment. I also would rather live with Australians than other foreign exchange students as I don't want my experience to be touristy, and from what I've read, it seems most exchange students are Asians who keep to themselves.

Also, since I won't have a car (I don't know how common it is to have a car when you're at uni, there), I don't want to feel isolated. I want to be in a city where I can get around, and get from school to fun and interesting things as quickly and cheaply as possible.

-Jill
for the details i've bolded, University of Wollongong would be perfect for you, the only drawback being that it isn't a big city with Sydney being a 1.5hr train trip north and it's hard not to live in dorms when you're an exchange student.

One of the residences, where a number of american exchange students go, Campus East is right on the beach and if you were to come in your second semester, about half of the semester would be gorgeous beachy weather. The campus is also fairly party hardy. It is a dorm though and around 160 of the 400 or so kids there are exchange students in the jan - june semester. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find an apartment though, although the public transport system is basically buses and a train service that isn't too extensive.

There is also a creative writing program at the university which I'm currently doing. We have an exchange student from Chicago in a number of our classes and he seems to be enjoying it.

here's the uow website www.uow.edu.au which can give you more information.

dora_18

HSC
usyd all the way :D

-you'll be with a lot of exchange students
-its close to everything considering its in the city so you dont need a car
-you can esily find accomodation
-its awesome and fun and close to hot spot locations:D

go to the USYD forum on BOS, or as im sure you're probably found ...the www.usyd.edu.au site- find a student advisor contact number and contact them:D

Last edited:

SaintMichael

HSC
N/A
i dont know why Macquarie is not on the list since they have a department devoted to lingustic study and they do write dictionary - Macquarie Dictionary anyone? i think you have alot of misconceptions about the Australian tertiary education system, if you want help then add me to your msn then i can discuss it with you in detail.

dantruon@hotmail.com is my nick.

SaintMichael

HSC
N/A
mr_brightside said:
msn?

dude she's american...

sif not AIM
well isnt MSN Messenger know worldwide as that? if they are know differently then tell bill gate to get stuffed.

lengy

HSC
I'd say USyd, she'd probably fit in with Subski or the college people. The's dope everywhere if you know where to look apparently and it's right next to Newtown. Sydney has the best clubs and the most people if you are after a party atmosphere.

dora_18

HSC
lengy said:
I'd say USyd, she'd probably fit in with Subski or the college people. The's dope everywhere if you know where to look apparently and it's right next to Newtown. Sydney has the best clubs and the most people if you are after a party atmosphere.
hehehe...subski people
im a member of that but ive never gone to a party or meeting

SaintMichael

HSC
N/A
RanyofuKenyan? said:
The Univesity of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia

It has exceedingly attractive people, such as myself, there.

btw, asl plz thnx.
that is a lie, Macquarie rape you in that department.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)