• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

need advice on dropping a subject (1 Viewer)

HSC
ok, so i do 13 units and my HSC course marks are all above 90% except for modern history which i hate because my teacher is terrible and i have a course mark of 79.

would it be a bad decision to drop it, or a good one?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Well do you enjoy Modern? How are you finding the workload of 13 units atm?

HSC
i really like the subject of modern in itself but i hate the class and the subjects we study especially WW1 and China. i find 13 units quite ok but i spend such a disproportionate amount of time of modern teaching myself because our teacher doesnt really teach us anything

Ryan_T90

HSC
i really like the subject of modern in itself but i hate the class and the subjects we study especially WW1 and China. i find 13 units quite ok but i spend such a disproportionate amount of time of modern teaching myself because our teacher doesnt really teach us anything
Remember, only 10 units count towards an ATAR. If you're failing Modern (or in your case, just not doing as well in it) and can't see it going towards your ATAR, why bother with it, especially if you're nailing your other subjects.
Instead of wasting your time teaching yourself about Modern, instead, you could be using that time to study for other subjects and possibly push your 90% up.

Just my opinion :)

Chambalam

HSC
Drop it. Every minute you spend on modern is a minute you don't spend on the others. Every minute you don't spend on the others takes away time (on average) for marks that affect your atar.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Yeah you don't seem to enjoy the content so you may as well drop it.

Chambalam

HSC
Just before you take our word for it, do remember one thing:

Doing more than 10 units simply impairs your atar on some degree, so in most cases avoid doing more than 10. There are usually 2 exceptions

1) If you are stuck with 1U SOR like myself
2) If you NEED certain subjects as uni prerequisites. Drop modern only if you don't need it for uni!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
A lot choose to do more than 10 units for security thanks.

jnney

lemon
HSC
please drop modern, you already have too many units.

Squishxmishyx

Olive You.
HSC
If I was in your situation and I dropped modern, I'd just spend that extra time goofing off so I need my 13 units. I'm weird.

You seem to be coping fine right now so I'd keep it.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
drop modern because you don't need it and from what i can see, you don't want it.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Drop Modern, getting 79 in it compared to your others so it definitely won't count. You could use the extra time to push up your 90 marks which would greatly help your ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)