• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

my ideas on creative writing (1 Viewer)

kooltrainer

HSC
I've noticed most creative writing pieces involve some sort of transformation or change in perspective in the protagonist- To really show the impacts the journey had on them..
And as such, they usually have a happy ending..

My question is whether we can write an effective journey piece that doesnt necessarily involve a happy ending or self realisation or epiphany.

i've read a band 6 story using first person to describe the emotions of a tiger (or lion or anything that has paws and cubs) which is being attacked by a fire (intended or not).. The tiger got separated from her cubs and later when she comes back, she found her home burnt to pieces. She then lies down and closes her eyes, the end.. It was a really good story with good control of voice and language.. the plot was good too.. It however, didnt end happily. its not really a transformation or change in pespective of the tiger.. (maybe there is, a little)

I mean, any story can be a journey .. a story about someone getting followed/stalked then in the end, gettin killed is also a journey story right. It doesnt have to have a self realisation?

Fsadni

HSC
yes. I'd say death is a physical change. After a phys journey.

So yes, just don't make it too gory.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Sadly enough, we are not required to write any creative piece in the real HSC. I'm missing so much year 11 FE when we had periods to write short stories and stuff.

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
kooltrainer said:
I've noticed most creative writing pieces involve some sort of transformation or change in perspective in the protagonist- To really show the impacts the journey had on them..
And as such, they usually have a happy ending..

My question is whether we can write an effective journey piece that doesnt necessarily involve a happy ending or self realisation or epiphany.

i've read a band 6 story using first person to describe the emotions of a tiger (or lion or anything that has paws and cubs) which is being attacked by a fire (intended or not).. The tiger got separated from her cubs and later when she comes back, she found her home burnt to pieces. She then lies down and closes her eyes, the end.. It was a really good story with good control of voice and language.. the plot was good too.. It however, didnt end happily. its not really a transformation or change in pespective of the tiger.. (maybe there is, a little)

I mean, any story can be a journey .. a story about someone getting followed/stalked then in the end, gettin killed is also a journey story right. It doesnt have to have a self realisation?
Yes, it doesn't have to be self realisation. It just needs involve a change basically, accompanied by obstacles to the persona of the peice (internal struggle, physically, anything).

I can say, personally I tend to 100% this section, and all you need is a good idea expressed well in order to provoke some type of response by the marker. You only have to imagine the amount of poor pieces marked, something different with an impact is basically all you need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)