• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

MY ATTEMPT of DECONSTRUCTING the LADDER THEORY (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I posted it before but I decided to make it a thread.... to encourage others to be the intelligent people that there are to either say I'm wrong or deconstruct it also.

I gave it a shot, because no one else has.

The Women's Rating System.

Money and Power: 50% Considering how old we are and back when we were 14-17 year olds, we weren't exactly earning much. So the ladder theory may possibly have exceptions according to age. "I get about $20 pocket money a week, doesn't that turn you on?" The power bit, I'm afraid is true if we talk about social status etc.

Attraction: 40% What does this actually mean? It apparently compromises a lot of sub-catergories I know. Well of course we're going to agree with this. We find people attractive because they're attractive. Good work Einstein. If someone goes "I like a guy who is senstive" they're classed as lying, but maybe that's the "Novelty" section, so of course everyone will agree. Especially using a broad word like "attractive" to cover all bases.

Things Women Say They Care About But Do Not: 10%
(this includes intelligence, sense of humor, honesty, sensitivity etc. )
This is definatley not true. I find a sense of humor an incredibly turn on. I cannot possibly hang around with a boring, quiet guy. I once thought this guy called David was hot. But 2 minutes into it, I realised he didn't have a vocabulary and couldn't tell me a joke without laughing uncontrollably every two words, which pretty much kills the joke, and it was the biggest turn off. We were 15 (not earning much), he asked me out and I said no.

The website did not justify why a sense of humour is not true. Unless is a "Novelty" thing that goes under "Attraction" which not only contradicts itself, but again, is under a huge umbrella term to make everyone agree.

that's my attempt. I can't deconstruct the rest.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Well, the Ladder theory is simply a generalisation, hence you can't expect every little aspect to pair up with every single person, or else the creator would be a billionaire.

Also, I've always considered the friendship-sex aspect of the theory (aswell as the whole Ladders idea) to be the integral ideas behind the entire concept, and I don't dispute that. All the rest seems to be less relevant to me, and of course often less accurate aswell.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
the most part that pisses me off.. is the whole ...'things women say they give a shit about but they dont'

SO NOT TRUE!

i cant stand arseholes.. they make me want to pull out my hair... and i also cant stand sleezy guys.. they just give me goosebumps.. i think they are so dirty.
i can tell if a guy is an arsehole in less than half an hour if they are acting themselves.

im telling you now... i will never think twice about an a^%#hole... cos i cant stand them!!! *puke*

S

Shuter

Refuted:

ur_inner_child said:
I'll give it a shot.

The Women's Rating System.

Money and Power: 50% Considering how old we are and back when we were 14-17 year olds, we weren't exactly earning much. So the ladder theory may possibly have exceptions according to age. "I get about $20 pocket money a week, doesn't that turn you on?" The power bit, I'm afraid is true if we talk about social status etc.
DId you actually read the whole site? It specifically deals with this, and says something along the lines of "the money/power required to impress increases as the female gets older".

Attraction: 40% What does this actually mean?
It's clearly defined with explanations of the sub-categories, attack them if you will, not the entire category for being "too broad" when it does define it further anyway.

Things Women Say They Care About But Do Not: 10%
(this includes intelligence, sense of humor, honesty, sensitivity etc. )
This is definatley not true. I find a sense of humor an incredibly turn on. I cannot possibly hang around with a boring, quiet guy.
But can you be with a funny, ugly guy? I rest my case...

The website did not justify why a sense of humour is not true. Unless is a "Novelty" thing that goes under "Attraction" which not only contradicts itself, but again, is under a huge umbrella term to make everyone agree.
As you said, it comes under other or possibly novelty too, that's 20% max of the total rating which I feel is accurate.

SKA said:
cant stand arseholes.. they make me want to pull out my hair... and i also cant stand sleezy guys.. they just give me goosebumps.. i think they are so dirty.
i can tell if a guy is an arsehole in less than half an hour if they are acting themselves.
It's takes you a half an hour? Takes me 5 minutes, with or without acting like themselves.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
why would u judge other guys on being assholes- hoping the fence there shuter? i mean look at ur photo cause u seem to be better judges of guys "on the ladder theory perspective" than a girl by 25minutes

very judgemental

stop idolising the ladder theory ffs

wanton-wonton

HSC
I said....I LIKE PIZZA......is there no one else here who is with me?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Shuter said:
YAY!!!
Shuter said:
DId you actually read the whole site? It specifically deals with this, and says something along the lines of "the money/power required to impress increases as the female gets older".
didn't see that actually. Good work.
Shuter said:
It's clearly defined with explanations of the sub-categories, attack them if you will, not the entire category for being "too broad" when it does define it further anyway.
you just disregarded the rest of my post. I said I was aware there are sub-catergories, yet these are petty umbrella words to cover the "10% that women say but they don't mean" bit. Which is a bit tacky to me
Shuter said:
But can you be with a funny, ugly guy? I rest my case...
probably not. But my example showed that the percentages don't work. My example - 10% as in sense of humour outruled the "attractive" factor.
Shuter said:
As you said, it comes under other or possibly novelty too, that's 20% max of the total rating which I feel is accurate.
You need to read the entire thing too! :p

That's 20% OF attraction, and attraction is 40% of the whole.

But anyways, "novelty" is worth less than "physical" which in my example, "novelty" over-ruled physical.

Good work though. You caught me out on a few things.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
I said....I LIKE PIZZA......is there no one else here who is with me?
i like making my own pizza personally- you?

sidenote- no matter how many categories there are they cant possibly account for every girl

and for the girls u would like to think they account for it totally ignores any contextual factors otherwise known as day to day reality

its a vast generalisation- and a joke taken too far

that is the nature of a joke- to make light of unusual things in life, but this is more an attack passing itself off as fact for lil teenage boys

the theory is full of shit- its not really a concise look at our australian society

wanton-wonton

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
i like making my own pizza personally- you?
I just get 'em from pizza hut. My mum used to make pizza's but then it would turn out 'home-made' and obviously not as good as pizza hut...but the amount of effort put into it makes up for it.

How do you make your pizza?

crystel_angel

HSC
Ladder theory????

I'm not sure if im the only one, but i have absolutely no idea what the ladder theory is, but im intrigued. Does anyone have the url for the website you're talking about, as i'd love to read it further.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
I just get 'em from pizza hut. My mum used to make pizza's but then it would turn out 'home-made' and obviously not as good as pizza hut...but the amount of effort put into it makes up for it.

How do you make your pizza?
well my brother makes his own pizza dough, but i just buy a pizza base from woolies

uy have ur tomato paste, cheddar/mozzarella, ham and anything else u want

put it in the oven on 180 and just keep an eye on it- not that much effort really

really good in winter

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
get over the ladder theory, people. i'd be suprised if anyone actually believes in it or follows it. it's only meant to be a form of entertainment, you know, making people laugh [or maybe he's jsut a sad case with no life, presenting his bitter views on the 'typical' woman which is obviulsy too generalised]. stop taking it so seriously.

yes, agreed, his way of thinking is weird... but who cares what he thinks anyway. why must we raise issues only after we read other's opinions instead of formualting our own. why get worked up over what one person thinks, after all, he is only one person.

GSTARRAW

Fuck me dead, get over it. Theories are for fucken bored nerds. Just go date bitches, fuck the percentage of attraction n shit!!

S

Shuter

ur_inner_child said:
I said I was aware there are sub-catergories, yet these are petty umbrella words to cover the "10% that women say but they don't mean" bit. Which is a bit tacky to me probably not. But my example showed that the percentages don't work. My example - 10% as in sense of humour outruled the "attractive" factor.

You need to read the entire thing too! :p

That's 20% OF attraction, and attraction is 40% of the whole.
I'm saying sense of humour can apply to both "things they say about but don't" (10% raw) and also novelty (20% of 40% - i.e. 8% raw)

Which totals 18% raw/total.

But anyways, "novelty" is worth less than "physical" which in my example, "novelty" over-ruled physical.
No no you're missing the point of the LADDER theory. Novelty didn't OVER-RULE physical in your case, the fact that he didn't possess humour mearly dropped him down further on your ladder.

The fact you said you wouldn't go out with a ugly humerous guy means that neither can be seen to overrule each other. For the purposes of the ladder theory to decide that you will have to answer:

Which would you PREFER:

Ugly but humerous.
Hot but boring.

Since these are pretty vague terms, consider it to be the most extreme you can think of in each case - i.e. really ugly, really funny, really hot, but really boring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keen

MD
HSC
God damn it - I've already explained in the Ladder theory thread why it isn't correct.

It has a half correct stab at being right, but it isn't.

I can't be bothered explaining it to you people who just don't get it.

Keen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)