• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Moving to a selective school in year 12 (1 Viewer)

jusydoodle

HSC
Hey guys,

I was wondering, is it beneficial to move to a selective high school in year 12?
I'm often told/encouraged by others (eg. tutors) to move to one, as it would be better for my atar :confused2: ... My school's ranking isn't so fantastic (in the 200s) and I'm worried that it will affect my hsc mark (ie my cohort isn't so great itself)...if you get me :/

However, I'm slightly worried about the impact it will have... What do you guys think?

:rudolf:

Alkanes

HSC
How are you going at your current school atm?

jusydoodle

HSC
Well, out of my 6 subjects, I'm ranked 1st for 3, and my lowest rank is 6th. The rest are 2nd and 3rd.

Alkanes

HSC
Hmm well obviously there would be a more competitive environment if u move which pushes you which can be a good and a bad thing. Well you have to make your decision asap because yr 12 starts next term..

jusydoodle

HSC
yeah, I already applied for syd girls.... but I'm thinking whether to actually go if I get accepted :/

silentdreamer

HSC
hi there!
i go to syd girls and you'll be in my year next year if you get accepted. you should definitely give it a try, it's probably not as competitive as you think and it's a great school :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What language do you do jusydoodle?

Don't despair if you don't get into a selective school, a school rank of 200s is not so bad, and if you were the top of your cohort you could furfill your ATAR goal.

jusydoodle

HSC
hi there!
i go to syd girls and you'll be in my year next year if you get accepted. you should definitely give it a try, it's probably not as competitive as you think and it's a great school :)
hahah, that's if I get accepted ^_^ but apparently, i heard chem course is full :/
Do you, by any chance, know how many students syd girls is accepting?

jusydoodle

HSC
What language do you do jusydoodle?

Don't despair if you don't get into a selective school, a school rank of 200s is not so bad, and if you were the top of your cohort you could furfill your ATAR goal.

I study Vietnamese :)

Well, I don't really mind staying at my school. Since many people have been telling me to try out, I thought I should?
In a way, always being surrounded by top-selective-students at tutoring and places really do lower my self-esteem somehow :(

silentdreamer

HSC
as far as i know, we usually don't take many in year 12, since we take about 20 in year 11 :/ but it's worth a try anyway.
i'm fairly sure that quite a few people are dropping chem (myself included) so there will be room if you do get in. and we have 5 classes anyway, so they'll be able to put you in somewhere lol

i agree with the others though, just because you go to a 200s ranked school doesn't mean you can't get your ATAR aim, it's still completely possible.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh listening to that comment about your self esteem...it sounds like you would do better in your current school with already solid friendship circles and the routine down pat you know? Too big a change for Yr 12, potentially detrimental.

Selective schools aren't the best environments for everyone. They ever motivate or demotivate ya know?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh listening to that comment about your self esteem...it sounds like you would do better in your current school with already solid friendship circles and the routine down pat you know? Too big a change for Yr 12, potentially detrimental.

Selective schools aren't the best environments for everyone. They ever motivate or demotivate ya know?
^ That.

I had the option of going to a selective school but I already had a solid friendship circle. Really, pretty much the only reason to change to another school in Year 11 and 12 is because the current school doesn't offer an HSC subject you want.

A girl from my school did that - and she ended up topping the state in Society and Culture.

I didn't know she was that smart... <_<

jusydoodle

HSC
Then stay back and don't move! Seriously, if your self esteem is like lowered just within the 3 hours of tutoring with them.......it'll get worse when u actually move to a selective school. 3 hours becomes 5 days a week......

There's someone in the grade 2 years above me, she moved to a selective at year 11 thinking that "it will boost her ATAR".
In the end, although her ATAR was still in the 90's, people who stayed back in her previous school and who used to do worse than her ended up getting higher ATAR's than her........Plus, she found it hard to make friends in a selective.
Hmmmm, my self-esteem lowers because others lower it :( I'm always being told that I go to a crappy school, and others generally "think low" of me (and my peers) because of my school. I sort of 'absorbed' it, and began thinking, maybe I should try out.... I'm also quite enthusiastic about the competitive environment. Don't really mind it, however I'm worried about the change (as it's happening in year 12, the most critical time)

jusydoodle

HSC

Honestly, I think I will be happier if I go to a selective school... My self-esteem would properly be better of as I'd feel like I'm not that bad compared to the rest of the population ? (if that makes sense lol)

enoilgam

HSC
Really, pretty much the only reason to change to another school in Year 11 and 12 is because the current school doesn't offer an HSC subject you want.
This. Changing schools right before year 12 is really disruptive and can do more harm then good.

jusydoodle

HSC
This. Changing schools right before year 12 is really disruptive and can do more harm then good.
Yeah, that's why I'm worried :/ btw, I want to drop a subject (SOR) but it's compulsory at my school T^T; what to do....

Portrayal

HSC
i go to brigidine college st ives it is selective but al te cunts are stupidz im the ony smart 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)