• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Memorising your Change Essay? (1 Viewer)

Wahlito

Some of my friends say that for the paper 1 essay on change they write the whole essay at home using their prescribed txt, stimulus and additonal matieial and all likek they would do in exam and then just memorise this to reproduce in hsc

they also say that it is a good idea to do the essay before the creative writing

im not so sure so im wondering if ppl agreez or thing this is stupid and give tips to help me out thankz

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
well whether or not you memorise an entire essay depends on your ability to regurgitate what you've learnt, but you're going to have to memorise something (like quotes). you should also have written out an entire essay with those things at home and if you go through it enough you would prob remember slabs from it anyway.

i did q3 first in the trials because it was the question i was most prepared for and once it's out of the way it wouldn't be at the back of my head for the whole exam. i don't think it matters which order you do the questions in, but make sure you read ALL the questions in reading time

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
there has been a LOT of threads on this..theres pretty much 3 skools of thought:
1) memorise the entire thing word for word
2) dont memorise anything
3) memorise quotes, key phrases you want to use, and have a rough outline, but dont learn entire essays (im in this group)

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
It would probably be a good idea to do creative writing last, since the markers could easily tell if you didn't finish your change essay.

Affinity

HSC
and as the good postmodernist we all are, we take a mixture of them all, or alternatively see them just as good as each other

ssj_goku

You can also memorise the body of the essay, and have different rough sketches for your intro and conclusion based on the different text types. That way you get speed and adaptability.
:)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i do q 1, then 3 then 2, because i suck at creative writing and so usually i can write enough in 1/2 an hr if i need to, also i spend 2 look thinking bout what 2 write

essay - i memorise key points, and basically know what i want to say, but remember whether u memorise an essay or not it WILL have to be moulded to suit the question

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
it's pretty risky memorising your change essay because if you do that, then whatever question we get you'll be very tempted to just write what you have learnt and hardly change it... when it might not really be answering the question

Glide

Hmm, im all for learning the main themes, quotes and texts and adapting them to suit the question in the actual exam.

chris42

HSC
Yeah, its good doing lots of essays, because then you are more likely to put the good bits of your previous essays in the one in the HSC

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
it's in the skill of adapting the thesis essay to suit the question. (and we know that the question will be about change, no doubt.)
i do q3 first - get it outta the way, then q1 - then q2.. i never prepare for that creative.. the questions are too broad - so i jus keep a stockpile of ideas/words/phrases i can use then stick em in as i like

Leap

free falling
HSC
Well if you've written a really good practice essay for change, its probably a good idea to try and memorize at least part of it. So long as in the exam you link each paragraph back to the question.

Winston

HSC
Alot of students will do this, i know i did this in the trials, meh screwed up, it's not a good way to do it, what happens if it's not an essay?, they can be cruel, like last year it was a newspaper article for my Focus Area.

tempco

HSC
That's why you learn the main points.. they can be moulded into any text type.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
Alot of students will do this, i know i did this in the trials, meh screwed up, it's not a good way to do it, what happens if it's not an essay?, they can be cruel, like last year it was a newspaper article for my Focus Area.
Thats why its good to practice other forms, rather than just essays.... i reckon the worst one would be if they asked for use to write a script for a movie or something like that...

Kiya

yeah i pre-write the essay and just remember it, but I ALWAYS forget somethign and end up saying something else lol

ruski_gal

When i did my trials i went in with an entire essay in my head then found out it was a speech instead. Which completely stuffed me up. But for my half yearly i went in with a memorised essay and got 14/15 for it. I just adapted it at parts and linked it back to the question.
It was just the fact that in the trials i wrote it as an essay without personal laguage features and got marked down. but my content was still good. I got 9/15 for that, so its still not too bad.

I think for the HSC i will prolly just memorise important paragraghs which are good and slip in extra bits around it depending on the question.

Oh and my quotes too of course. I have 10 which i know and i use them everytime because they are broard and relate to lots of themes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)