• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

maths exam (1 Viewer)

ehung

As u alreadi knoe school based assesments for maths has recently kicked in. As i do 3 u maths, and since it is out of 50. i was wondering about the consequences of STUFFING UP an assesment worth 12.5 marks. Cos i think i did, and im realli stressing about it, so if i screwed this assesment im prob screwed for 3U and that means no 45+ for it. rite? :(

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
That is certainly not the case.

you can still quite easily get 45+ if you do well in your other assessments.

You've still got over 85% of the internal assessment to go.

ehung

Thanks Rage but when u think of it, its like worth a quarter of your skool based assesments. and say if u get like 28/40 thats like 8.75/12.5 so u lost like 4 marks on ur 3U skool based asses. Its true that it will be quite hard to catch up?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Remember that after moderation of assessment marks, your assessment mark can change quite significantly.

It depends on how your year does in the HSC exam.

So you could of gotten zero for the test you did, and end up being ranked 5th in your class after all your assessments have been done yet still attain a mark greater than 45 if everyone does well including you.

Don't stress too much. It will have a larger impact if you do. You can't turn back, only move forward. Make that task you did as a lesson to remind you to try harder.

In the end you'd find that it didn't make that much of a difference.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yeah dun woz. aim for consistency. by the end of the year, the rankings will have changed heaps...so don't feel ur behind everyone else and its not worth trying. it so defn is. i know its hard, but just step back and look at the big picture. learn from ur mistakes, and kick those other assessments!

ehung

Once again thanks rage n pigs :D. I was wondering how did u manage to get the marks for maths. I have 2 & 3U fitzpatrick, which i *sometimes* do. And besides my lazy nature, could u offer me any words of advice for gaining high marks? :)

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ehung
As u alreadi knoe school based assesments for maths has recently kicked in. As i do 3 u maths, and since it is out of 50. i was wondering about the consequences of STUFFING UP an assesment worth 12.5 marks. Cos i think i did, and im realli stressing about it, so if i screwed this assesment im prob screwed for 3U and that means no 45+ for it. rite? :(
In my opinion, if u stuffed up the 1st assessment do not worry about it...cos i worried for my assessments like that and still got 44/50...i wonder if i had not stressed a bit, it wud have helped me imporove, oh well...that was how it was meant to be...i don't have regrets :)

Originally posted by Ragerunner
Remember that after moderation of assessment marks, your assessment mark can change quite significantly.

In the end you'd find that it didn't make that much of a difference.
yeah i agree....cos i was like 20% behind the person coming first and at the end what was the difference?? TWO MARKS :rofl:...

and my twin sis was getting 10% more than me, and the difference was 1 mark.

ehung

The joys of attaining tips from 03'ers. Hm....its tough out there all these ruse + selective ppl push the state average for 3U v high. i put 47.5/50 for 3U and i got scaled up by an amazing 0.1 to 47.6.
And that anythn higher it's just ur raw marks
sighz* Why Lord does this wrld seem so unffaiirrr :(

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Well when you try it with other courses you'd find that they tend to scale down a lot more.

It only sounds bad that it only scales up very very little, but really it doesn't scale down as bad as others.

ehung

Also it seems that Adv eng, screws up alot of ppl, with marks 4 subs in consistant high 90's and then eng bombs to 91 or 88.
Are they hard markers, typical asses, or what?
If you use ur essay from skool which u got a high mark and reproduce it as a module essay, then wont evenythn b fine?

ehung

Originally posted by Ragerunner
Well when you try it with other courses you'd find that they tend to scale down a lot more.

It only sounds bad that it only scales up very very little, but really it doesn't scale down as bad as others.
too true, with business u get a mark of 96 -> 91.2, jeez, we also DO have to study for them and that the resultant mark is of a disappointing one.
Maths X1, whats the difference to doin 2U?
a) it'll b easier but on the contrary any high mark will still sscale u down.

The negatives of not doin 4U...my burden has repaid me

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
As said, it sounds like its really bad the scaling but really it's just doesn't scale as poorly as other subjects.

Typically you may not always get a good mark by using the essay from your school as you cannot reproduce it exactly due to the varying types of questions they ask. You'd need to modify the essay to suit your answer for the better or the worse.

And your teacher marking the essay may think it's a good essay, whereas the exam marker may not.

ehung

Ok rage....the main reason im sounding all worries is becus i want to get inti comm/law. As ppl knoe it is round 99.6 and that using JUAI it sounds almost immpossible with the marks i have received for first assesments. I dun want to get in the alternative way like transfer, but to straight get in UAI wise. Looks like i have to concentrate on these half yearlies which r 3 weeks away. Critical point at this tym, HAVE TO do well or gg for me

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Your goal is still achievable at this point.

Best of luck.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by ehung
Once again thanks rage n pigs :D. I was wondering how did u manage to get the marks for maths. I have 2 & 3U fitzpatrick, which i *sometimes* do. And besides my lazy nature, could u offer me any words of advice for gaining high marks? :)
were u asking me?
basically do every question in ur set text for maths. if u can't get it out, skip it, and ask someone the next day, either teacher or friend or wotever. always learn from mistakes u made in assessments and vow never to make them again. and yeah, lots of hard work, esp 4u maths. during the year, aim to get all the concepts dowm pat, then before exams, revise theory and just do past papers

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Ed i thought u wanted to do Actuarial!?!?! i guess u can **Settle** for actuarial 97.25

ehung

Yeh it's a mix, if i can get 99.6 o_O i do comm/law or if i get under it actuary.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
LOL yeh "onlly"...we all know maq's better for actuarial, but dont they have better law, plus actuarial/law @ maq is 99.45...hmm itd b a tough decision btween the both

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)