• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Math Pre-req. for Dentistry (1 Viewer)

L

leopard

I read on a site somewhere that a minimum of 2 unit maths ('Mathematics') is the recommended prerequisite for BDs. I'm only doing 'General Mathematics' and I was wondering if I will have to do a bridging course in university. If I was to, then I was thinking I might as well drop maths entirely and pick up history extension.

If someone could actually enquire CSU, since I'm considering doing my course there, that would be greatly appreciated!

Either way, I'd like to know your thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Maths is a prerequisite.

L

leopard

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Maths is a prerequisite.
I didn't think so either, until I read it from the aforementioned site. But it does seem practical to assume one knows basic mathematics in a dentistry course.

Maybe I just want to eliminate math exams from my life.

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
Hey,
I was looking at this course on the UAC site and the Assumed knowledge courses for it are "English (Standard), Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics".

I'm "assuming" that is not refering to general maths but 2U mathematics.

L

leopard

Hey,
I was looking at this course on the UAC site and the Assumed knowledge for this course is "English (Standard), Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics".
I'm "assuming" that is not refering to general maths but 2U mathematics.
wklejasfdic So I should do just maths???
Now I need info on bridging courses, and in particular maths. How much time it will steal away from my course, if it "steals", etc.

abhi23

HSC
well i dont know about CSU but at USYD the Mathematics bridging course includes
12 two-hour classes, i think. It costs $340.
That's not too long.
Why don't you just try out mathematics at school. I don't know about your ability but I read in one of the course guides that general maths isn't a suitable foundation for university courses.
Do mathematics: heaps of courses have it as assumed knowledge so it will save you time and money. + you'll be better prepared.

L

leopard

well i dont know about CSU but at USYD the Mathematics bridging course includes
12 two-hour classes, i think. It costs $340.
That's not too long.
Why don't you just try out mathematics at school. I don't know about your ability but I read in one of the course guides that general maths isn't a suitable foundation for university courses.
Do mathematics: heaps of courses have it as assumed knowledge so it will save you time and money. + you'll be better prepared.
It's the end of year 11, I don't think it'd be safe to transfer to 'Mathematics' for my HSC. So considering your point on the lack of suitability universities consider 'General Mathematics' to be, drop it?

abhi23

HSC
wait your profile says your HSC 2011. sorry i was going off that.

Not doing any maths at all??? WEll it really depends on whether you are interested in any courses that have maths as assumed knowledge (gen maths specifically, although i don't know of any courses that have this as assumed knowledge).

So clarify this for me: are you doing your HSC in 2011? Aren't you in year 10?

L

leopard

wait your profile says your HSC 2011. sorry i was going off that.

Not doing any maths at all??? WEll it really depends on whether you are interested in any courses that have maths as assumed knowledge (gen maths specifically, although i don't know of any courses that have this as assumed knowledge).

So clarify this for me: are you doing your HSC in 2011? Aren't you in year 10?
I'm doing pathways *sigh
and I already mentioned the course I want to do is BDs... as the first option and all. I just really really hate general maths. I wish I could've done 2 unit.

abhi23

HSC
oh, damn.
well how many units do you do? if your confident with your other subjects and you really do hate gen maths then dropping it and doing a bridging course sounds appropriate.

Talk to your careers adviser or teachers etc. lol im just some guy on the internet so don't take my advice as gospel or anything.

L

leopard

oh, damn.
well how many units do you do? if your confident with your other subjects and you really do hate gen maths then dropping it and doing a bridging course sounds appropriate.

Talk to your careers adviser or teachers etc. lol im just some guy on the internet so don't take my advice as gospel or anything.
The unit per year system is a bit complex to explain. But for my HSC I'll have 10 units if I dropped a 2 unit subject, but if I dropped maths, I'd have 11 because I would probably pick up history extension.

Bleh I don't wanna talk to anyone :p But you agreed with me on dropping gen. math so yeah I think I'll just drop it. Instead of being pissed about doing math homework, assignments, tests then the final exam.

abhi23

HSC
well think about it a bit more before you take the plunge.
hope it goes well for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)