• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Make notes (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
How you guys make notes?

Can you specifically comment HOW YOU WRITE?

Because I just want to improve the way I write my notes by hearing from YOU! and I also believe that you can learn from this thread on HOW TO WRITE notes.

I will start with myself: when I write my notes on computer, I make dot points.
Dot points are from textbook (Conquering Chemistry, Jacaranda and Heinemann Biology and Spotlight).All dot points are no longer than 1 line (very short) and simply written. I try to divide long passage into two or three to make it easier to understand. I only write RELEVANT materials down (i.e. look at the syllabi). I try to cover as much as I can.

For Business Studies and SOR1, I get my notes from BOS (Bored of Studies) because I cannot be bothered to write stacks of notes for BS and SOR1. I also use Macquarie or Excel for these. And I basically memorise everything in there. Since BS and SOR1 are purely memory-based. I better memorise rather than trying to understand.

Any comment or suggestion for improvement?

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
I handwrite my notes using my syllabus, text book(s) and any other material i've been given. My dot points are usually pretty thorough so I always go through a second time and rewrite them with less info. I've tried to use the MQ/Jacaranda type of stuff but I have trouble making notes from summarised information. Set up is usually like this:

Syllabus dot point

Subheading

-
-
-

historiography:

English I make tables with ideas, values, techniques, context and write long passages putting it all together.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I guess I'll just give you a general idea.

I have a hard copy book in which I re-write notes taken in class, and since I"m a lazy shit, my "re-reading" of the Dot Points is done when I type it up on the computer. So i write it, then reaffirm it by typing it up.

Heres a snippet -
3.7 Define the molar heat of combustion of a compound and calculate the value for ethanol from first-hand data
The molar heart of combustion is the energy released when a mole of a substance undergoes combustion (kJ/mol). The molar heat of combustion of ethanol was found to be 407kJ/mol, but the theoretical value is 710kJ/mol.
3.12 Process information from secondary sources to summarise the use of ethanol as an alternative car fuel, evaluating the success of current usage.
• Ethanol is currently used as a petrol extender. If the concentration of the ethanol is too high, it can cause engine damage.
• There has been successful use of ethanol as an alternative fuel with increasing consumption of ethanol as a fuel in Brazil.
• The large scale use for ethanol however has proved to be unsuccessful thus far due to the cost of production and distillation being unable to outweigh its advantages.

I try to make it as short and straight to the point as possible.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
tommykins said:
3.7 Define the molar heat of combustion of a compound and calculate the value for ethanol from first-hand data
The molar heart of combustion is the energy released when a mole of a substance undergoes combustion (kJ/mol). The molar heat of combustion of ethanol was found to be 407kJ/mol, but the theoretical value is 710kJ/mol.
The theoretical value for the combustion of ethanol is 1409.4kJ/mol, after checking some sources. We only learnt it to be 1360kJ/mol, so meh. The value you gave is very close to the molar heat of combustion of methanol, so perhaps therein lies your mistake. Just trying to help out :)

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Probably, I was away on the day and these are my mates results. =[

I'll check it out though, thanks for that :)

And you were correct, thank you once again :D

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
i try and make short dot points.
however for things like economics its hard.
my business notes and concise
i have a biology test on wednesday, and i havent started writing any notes:(

so im going to try and summarise bio topic two into two pages and memorise it.
lol

leoyh

mic`
HSC
i do dot points under relevant headings according to the syllabus. thing is, sometimes there quite a lot to cover and sometimes you dunno what you should omit, although i do omit stuff. but yeah, my notes are quite long so takes a bit of time to memorise and understand

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I try to do mind maps. Put the syllabus dot point or main subject in the centre, then add information around it. That way the information is in sections and you can see how everything relates to each other.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
leoyh said:
i do dot points under relevant headings according to the syllabus. thing is, sometimes there quite a lot to cover and sometimes you dunno what you should omit, although i do omit stuff. but yeah, my notes are quite long so takes a bit of time to memorise and understand
Cannot agree more. I don't know what to omit sometimes. But when I do, I feel that I am leaving out important information.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO OMIT SOME PARTS OF THE INFORMATION?

How do you omit information?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You erm....leave out bits you don't think are necessary?

forkyspoony18

HSC
i write up each syllabus dot point for my subjects in a question form then write an answer up underneath it, then a couple times a week, i get somebody in my family to ask me the questions. it works for me, because writing stuff down over and over again or reading it over and over again doesnt work for me.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
You erm....leave out bits you don't think are necessary?
But that's the bit that I have sometimes problems with.... well, thanks

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Read over the actual text until you memorise the gist of it. After that your notes just serve to jog your memory. At least that's how the humanities work, not sure about sciences.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
But that's the bit that I have sometimes problems with.... well, thanks
Well, I like having trigger words - certain words or a phrase that will jog my memory, and allow me to write 2-4 sentences for each phrase.

eliseliselise

HSC
i normally read the textbook/class notes 857284583463952 times, and then often i'll make up rude and inappropriate mnemonics that i will never forget to go with- then i'll consult a dot point/excel bible. 2 weeks or so before an exam i normally get out one of those fluorescently covered pocket note books and write all the stuff/formulas/quotes im trying to remember on those- & get them out on the bus/car. mmmhmm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)