• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

LLB or JD? (1 Viewer)

J18134

HSC
I know both degrees have the same subjects and allow you to work in the legal profession. Is one better than the other?

J18134

HSC
Okay. Ive heard from one person that a JD has better global recognition that the LLB so just wanted to check.

izzy88

HSC
Okay. Ive heard from one person that a JD has better global recognition that the LLB so just wanted to check.
The United States calls their law degree a JD. So in the sense that in the US a 'JD' as a name might be more familiar to some employers, then that could be accurate. However since both have the same subjects, if you are seeking formal recognition for your degree overseas or in the US (ie. with a legal profession regulator in a particular country), then providing a transcript etc will reach the same result whether it is called a JD or LLB.

I'm rather cynical about it all, but from what I can tell the major reason the JD was introduced by universities in Australia is because it is classified as a postgraduate degree, whereas a Bachelor of Laws is not. This means that universities can charge full fees for graduate JD, which they couldn't when it was the graduate LLB due to government changes a couple of years ago (when the gov abolished full fee places for undergrad degrees).

Full fee JD is very expensive - and in my opinion not worth it in comparison to a hecs funded LLB if you can get it.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
To do JD, you need to have completed at least one undergrad degree where as the LLB can be done straight after HSC. Also the JD program is a bit more intense as you are completing it over 3 years where as the LLB is 5 years with a combined degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)