• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Life (3 Viewers)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
in bold are the parts i highlighted to show how essentially half your post is just saying the other person's opinion is invalid without actually demonstrating how
Those were responses to attacks against me of which you did not demonstrate anything, you accused me
And that isn't half my post

I already told you how your reasoning is circular, you presuppose that meaning has to be universal (no i don't have to define it because you literally say meaning is objective which by definition makes it universal) and then use this to argue that meaning is universal lol.
No, I showed why if by meaning we mean anything at all, then it must be "universal"

Because if you say that the meaning of life is what you make of it, then any "meaning" is valid, which takes all substance out of the word

It is convenient for you because what I have come to realise is yoou just repeat it over and over till people get sick of arguing with you and just give up which is what I'm on the verge of doing right now lol, it's honestly not worth the effort if you're so adamant in refusing to acknowledge the flaws in what you said.
yeah thanks for trying to attack me and show how illogical I am, without any proof or evidence

lol illogical moslems~~
can't understand relativism amirite

And lol I did and that dichotomy is exactly the same as the one i said you established. It is EXACTLY the same haha.
Now you're just being dishonest, you had in your "dichotomy", an inference to worshiping God as the means of life, but I did not do the same
So its not the same lol haha

Not to mention you still haven't actually provided any substance to what you said because you throw around words like "valuable" and "valid" without defining them by any objective measure.
I showed you what I meant by valuable and valid, and you choose to ignore me

Also I bolded where you attack me and say my opinion is valid without giving any reasons

Much more than half it seems

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
But Sy is arguing that unless worshiping God is the basis of said challenges and fulfillments then there is no meaning to them nor your life in general
No I'm not why do you believe Kiraken without reading my post

He is purposely being dishonest

enoilgam

HSC
The problem I have with "the meaning of life" question is irrespective of whether it's taken from an atheist perspective or religious perspective is that it can only be traced so far. With an atheist perspective, stuff like "The meaning of life is to help others" doesnt link to anything beyond that. Why is helping others important? Why is that the overarching meaning of life? What does that contribute to? All answers to that are ultimately abstractions again.

With religion, stuff like "The meaning of life is to serve God" doesnt really link to anything either because it raises questions regarding God's overall intent which many religions cant answer.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

no that is literally what you said lol

like actually read your first post

you say atheists have no meaning or purpose in life

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
The problem I have with "the meaning of life" question is irrespective of whether it's taken from an atheist perspective or religious perspective is that it can only be traced so far. With an atheist perspective, stuff like "The meaning of life is to help others" doesnt link to anything beyond that. Why is helping others important? Why is that the overarching meaning of life? What does that contribute to? All answers to that are ultimately abstractions again.

With religion, stuff like "The meaning of life is to serve God" doesnt really link to anything either because it raises questions regarding God's overall intent which many religions cant answer.
What i'm saying is why does there HAVE to be an "overarching" meaning? Why can't people live their lives to whatever purpose they want? Who are we to say that people who attribute a purpose to their lives such as helping others or being content and fulfilled are wrong?

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC

According to your argument, the challenges an atheist sets themselves and the fulfilments they gain from them can't hold any meaning because their lives in general don't revolve around the worshiping of God. Right? :S Because that's what I'm gathering from the below;

"atheists can't have meaning in life"

lol isn't that essentially the same as saying they can't have meaning in life because they don't worship God?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
no that is literally what you said lol

like actually read your first post

you say atheists have no meaning or purpose in life
Did I say that since atheists have no meaning in life therefore worshipping God is the meaning?

No I didn't

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
According to your argument, the challenges an atheist sets themselves and the fulfilments they gain from them can't hold any meaning because their lives in general don't revolve around the worshiping of God. Right? :S Because that's what I'm gathering from the below;
Did I say that since atheists have no meaning in life therefore worshipping God is the meaning?

No I didn't

enoilgam

HSC
What i'm saying is why does there HAVE to be an "overarching" meaning? Why can't people live their lives to whatever purpose they want? Who are we to say that people who attribute a purpose to their lives such as helping others or being content and fulfilled are wrong?
There isnt anything wrong with that, I personally just dont really see that as being much of a meaning. I started off that post by saying "The problem I have..." because it's really my issue with the meaning of life debate. People are free to believe what they want and if that gives them purpose, power to them.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
"There is no meaning of life on atheism, I think this is clear to anyone who really considers the question properly.

If you say, "the meaning of life is happiness" or "the meaning of life is to stay alive and survive", or "the meaning of life is freedom"

Are you saying that your "meaning of life", is as valuable as the one professed by an alcoholic drugged up sex-crazed hednoist, whose meaning is mere pleasure? Is your meaning of life just as valuable as that of a psychopath, who says that the meaning of life is to hurt other people?

Anyone who says that they are just as valuable has already conceded that there is no meaning in life, whether they say it with their tongues or not

"atheists ought to bite the bullet"

all quotes in ur opening post that suggest atheists have no meaning in life or that people who have a meaning in life other than an overarching one based on theistic principles are wrong

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
Why would such a thread be created. This will only lead to further misunderstanding and misinterpretation. This question has many ANSWERS, and those answers are influenced by the specific individual's beliefs.

So, we're all practically going nowhere, with humanity profusely raising the 'meaning of life' question. They have been arguing about this particular topic for centuries, and despite the time and effort, nothing has changed.

I will simply provide my perspective (based on my religious beliefs), and you provide yours. We will argue forever and eventually, one is right or wrong, or both are wrong.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
There isnt anything wrong with that, I personally just dont really see that as being much of a meaning. I started off that post by saying "The problem I have..." because it's really my issue with the meaning of life debate. People are free to believe what they want and if that gives them purpose, power to them.
but that's my point, ultimately it's a personal belief

I have no issue with Sy's meaning for life or his view, the issue I have is with when he tries to present this view as a fact and then goes out of his way to turn the rest of the post into an anti-atheist rant and one that tries to discredit other views on a question that is quite clearly subjective

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Why would such a thread be created. This will only lead to further misunderstanding and misinterpretation. This question has many ANSWERS, and those answers are influenced by the specific individual's beliefs.

So, we're all practically going nowhere, with humanity profusely raising the 'meaning of life' question. They have been arguing about this particular topic for centuries, and despite the time and effort, nothing has changed.

I will simply provide my perspective (based on my religious beliefs), and you provide yours. We will argue forever and eventually, one is right or wrong, or both are wrong.
100% this

this exactly

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Yeah but I didn't say the latter so I didn't make that statement
let's be real

saying atheists have no meaning in life is tantamount to saying that you need to worship God to have meaning in life

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
let's be real

saying atheists have no meaning in life is tantamount to saying that you need to worship God to have meaning in life
Atheists do have a 'meaning of life', their goals and aspiration in which they would want to accomplish and succeed. (sane human). However, this raises the query... Not going to go into it, it's gonna be detailed lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)