• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Lecture Question? (1 Viewer)

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Originally posted by boinkBOINK
who will be joining me in
comp115 mktg101 econ110 nd stat170 o_O?
nd also back to my question!
=\\

funnily enough i'm doing the exact same subjects first semester :eek:

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by boinkBOINK
nd the whole IT course class disappears after 1st sem lol
=\
well hopefuly can transfer
the IT employment doesn't look too appealing thats why.. LOL..

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jlh
well i'm doing comp115, math123, stat170(monday at 2pm) and mktg101 (friday session)...

(econ1002) of econ110!! so i get credit for that!! :)

Have you done a year at Sydney already? Or was it a summer school thing?

So if lectures arent really compulsory is it mainly just the tuts and pracs that are compulsory? because i got confirmation that i can skip maths prac for a psych lectures as long as it doesnt interfere with a maths lecture (which it wont).

doe

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jlh
the IT employment doesn't look too appealing thats why.. LOL..
its a cyclic thing, in a few years they'll be whinging about not enough IT grads.

mind you, they'll be whinging about it in india, so its a moot point :)

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by doe
its a cyclic thing, in a few years they'll be whinging about not enough IT grads.

yea..

big big computer companies are admitting that they will be moving to places like China and India...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It doesn't matter or make a difference whether you attend one lecture or skip another. I ended up skipping a heap because it was inconvenient, and it made no difference.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by Cyan_phoeniX
Have you done a year at Sydney already? Or was it a summer school thing?

So if lectures arent really compulsory is it mainly just the tuts and pracs that are compulsory? because i got confirmation that i can skip maths prac for a psych lectures as long as it doesnt interfere with a maths lecture (which it wont).
i'm trasnferring from my first year at usyd. at usyd, the tutes/pracs are compulsory, but at macq tutes/pracs are only compulsory for some units.

Originally posted by doe

yeah they will, but when exactly in a few years will there be a boom in the market? i remember in 2002 when applying for uni courses, UTS sent me a letter saying that the IT field would be in a boom so that job prospects would be better, but of course they were trying to get me to pick their course so i guess they would of said anything.

L1onHeart

Admission to BCom/BEc/BAppFin or UAI equivalent to these degrees or admission to BeBus or a GPA of 2.00 with at least 12cp; HSC Mathematics performance band 2 or extension 1 or extension 2, or corequisite of any unit in the range MATH123-MATH136

new prerequisite for econ110

doe

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jlh
yeah they will, but when exactly in a few years will there be a boom in the market? i remember in 2002 when applying for uni courses, UTS sent me a letter saying that the IT field would be in a boom so that job prospects would be better, but of course they were trying to get me to pick their course so i guess they would of said anything.
in a few years i reckon, its starting to pick up now, but dont expect anywhere near as much hype as around 1998 - 2000. i agree with you about uts, 2002 was the worst year for IT with the sector unemployment rate nearly double the national average. they'd probably spent heaps of $ on buying resources for expected influx of new students doing IT, then the crash happened and they were left with not enough students to pay for the new sutff, so did whatever they could to keep people joining (thats pure conjecture of my cynical mind though).

a bit of a downturn is good though, the people who are attracted to IT purely because of money are (in general) the people who fuck it up and make it a shit industry to work in. im glad to see them change to forensic accounting or some other hot industry/job*. i question the long term goal of a career as a programmer. being able to program is nothing special, there are hundreds of thousands of people who can do it. now you'll find even the big outsourcing companies in india are starting to be undercut by companies in south east asia (i know of such companies in vietnam, thailand and i think indonesia). im still pretty sure you'll be able to have a fufilling career as a programmer, but i dont think it will be as highly paid nor as glam as it is made out to be. if your heart is really set on a career in IT, a good unix sys admin or high level tech support (3rd level/team leader) guy would make more than a typical programmer, probably have better working hours and conditions, and its hard to outsource these things (well maybe tech support, but probably not at that level).

*not to offend people doing finance courses, there's nothing at all wrong with such jobs, just people who flit about to whats "in" piss me off - i plan on doing a masters degree in applied finance or economics when i finish my undergraduate degree cause i think its interesting and dont wont to be stuck in the "IT guy" box for the rest of my life, for the above reasons :)

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by L1onHeart
Admission to BCom/BEc/BAppFin or UAI equivalent to these degrees or admission to BeBus or a GPA of 2.00 with at least 12cp; HSC Mathematics performance band 2 or extension 1 or extension 2, or corequisite of any unit in the range MATH123-MATH136

new prerequisite for econ110
o_O *raises eyebrow
hmm i saw that
but does that mean i need the first bit AND the second bit? or would having got above band2 for maths do?

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
me be doing stat170, econ110, comp115, mktg101...
i tried really hard to get a day free a week but it didnt work out :(

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
hay dude~
ur doing exactly the same subs at me~
ive managed 2 days off =p
but if the teimtables abit gayed for u
1 day off is manageable
with 2 shorter days

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)