• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Lear Bondi production (1 Viewer)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Did anyone see the Bondi Pavillion production this year? We went to see it before we'd even started studying Lear, so I had no idea what to be looking for and so I don't have any decent notes on it. I can't figure out what readings were apparent in it either.

If anyone has notes or ideas about this production, it would be appreciated

Cumquott

Dude,

We saw "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead" at the Bondi Pavillion this year....if Lear was by the same group then don't worry, you didn't miss much. The production we saw was dodgy as, and didn't really help. I don't study Lear so maybe some Lear-ists might be able to better help you. Don't worry about the play, though. I do know that there are several productions of Lear on video that different groups have done over they years..these might help you if you're looking for the actual presentation side of things...check out your local video shop/library?..OR..if you can't find what you're looking for give me a yell and I'll ask some friends of mine who are studying Lear what the specific versions are that are worth looking at.

Hope this helps,
-Cumquott

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Well, I've studied a couple of other versions of the play as well, just that I'd like to use the bondi production because from what I remember, it had some good symbolism/production design features in it.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Advice line anyone?

I also saw it too before my class started studying Lear and since I couldn't remember much of it I called up the advice line. The teacher I had was EXTREMELY helpful and practically told me everything I need to know. The number is 13 11 12 btw. :)

But if you just want to know symbols...
1. The Wheel of Fate was used throughout the entire production. In Act 1, Scene 1, Lear is seated inside it, centre stage with all the characters looking at him so it is portraying he has aboslute power.
2. The white sheet with slashes through it during the storm scene. Maybe shows Lear's descent into madness or losing of his power or chaos commencing... (i think u get the idea). At the end of the play the screen is totally broken apart when Lear steps through carrying dead Cordelia in his arms.

Well I hope I gave you some ideas... but seriously call up that advice line!

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yeah, those are the elements that have stuck in my mind the most (the wheel and the torn sheet)

I'm also trying to figure out what readings would correspond to different aspects of the production

thanks for the advice ;)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
no problems lundy.
Btw the teacher also told me that you could use the feminist reading i.e. the portrayal of the female characters by bondi. How they go from wearing cocktail dresses to fighter women in combat boots.
Also, the Carl Marx reading - position of power... um I don't know any examples atm... but anyway good luck

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Ok, cool....

yeah, i will need luck....a lot of luck...I hate king lear....a lot

allyteaded

Originally posted by Lundy

I'm also trying to figure out what readings would correspond to different aspects of the production
I watched this one too. It wasn't a bad production although a lot of my fellow english students would have said this wasn't as good as the others we saw - Genesian Theatre and Wesley Inst.

Ok, well, in terms of readings, don't you think you could take it from a familial reading? I mean, you can link that to the Circle of fate (is that what it's really called?) and the fact that in the beginning they all had a photo inside it together but later on... it was broken apart.

Also the beginning scene - unlike a stereotypical tragedy, the mood was very light hearted. I mean, compared to the Genesian and the Wesley, this was done very differently.

Did anyone stay inside whist they were setting the scene after the intermission?? I did ^_^ it was very interesting... I remember they hung the two parts of the circle thingy up on the wall.

I'd say the set design was very minimalist - it was simplistic and it could take many forms. I don't know if you can elaborate on that.

Gonerill and Regan - in terms of costuming. Note their shoes. On very high heals. Where as Cordelia was in flat shoes.

There's another thread around about the bondi production ... someone said that the colours of the notes coded their emotions or something.

Ciao Mao!

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by allyteaded
Did anyone stay inside whist they were setting the scene after the intermission?? I did ^_^ it was very interesting... I remember they hung the two parts of the circle thingy up on the wall.
Yeah, I stayed as well. I dont think they wanted us to be in there though. It destroyed the "mood" they were going for by having a stagehand rip the fabric with a box cutter...lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)