• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Law&society/Human Rights (1 Viewer)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Has anyone had their first assessment...i had one for law and society a practice multiple choice-- i got 10/15 .. i didnt study and now i regret that heaps. On tuesday i have a short answer respons for human rights.. soo scared! Any advice? is it just me or do i seem to be missing alot of work .. like i read over the questions and i dont know wat theyre talking about- - it seems like common knowledge that i just dont have!

= Jennifer =

HSC
we had a speech for our first assesment everyone did pretty well the lowest was 15/20 and the highest was 19/20 so the rankings are very close at the moment

dezzy

HSC
ive got my first ass. task on friday- we already have the question...we have to write an essay answering it at home...then memorise it, then in class we have to re-write it....crazee

meisme

We had our first last week, relevance of human rights in regards to that whole Guantanamo Bay thing. it was a fair bit of a pushover as we had to submit a report and run a debate with the class playing members of the modern world ie. George Bush John Howard etc.
As long we prepped for it it was ok, me i pulled a night-before-its-due-oh-crap-i-better-do-it and got 10/10 for the debate...still don't know about the report though....its interesting to see wot you guys are doing

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
hey for my first lot of assessments i got 7.2/10 and that goes as 10% of my HSC mark .. do u think thats ok? the top mark was 9.2 and 7.2 is pretty bad for me, last year i came first do u think i can restore myself? im being over dramatic arent i?

meisme

Originally posted by mazza_728
hey for my first lot of assessments i got 7.2/10 and that goes as 10% of my HSC mark .. do u think thats ok? the top mark was 9.2 and 7.2 is pretty bad for me, last year i came first do u think i can restore myself? im being over dramatic arent i?
What was your rank in class?, it don't matter crap what your actual score was...all the HSC markers take into account is how dumb/smart you are compared to the rest of the class. Don't worry about the mark, just the ranking.

dezzy

HSC
i got 98% for my first legal ass. pitty it was onyl worth 10% tho....
i came 2nd by only half a mark! how annoying is that ey!

oh well- ill live

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
good luck :p

had a speech assessment last term, we skipped this topic to do crimes first.
19.5/20 >.<
half marks goes up right? LOL

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Part 1 - Crime
38.5/40 - 96.25%
10% weighting

Part 2 - Human Rights
20/20 - 100%
5% Weighting

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
They shouldn't be giving you assessments that are only worth 5%, its really unfair.

But if Ive said it once, Ive said it 3 million times, its not your marks that count, its your rank and the relative difference between you and the person who comes first. Don't stress about crap marks if the rest of your class are getting them as well, you are probably marked harshly...this is why we have HSC exams that are marked externally and sort everyone out!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
My goal = be ahead of the class by as much as possible. So far we're on track...

adamj

Originally posted by dark`secrets
good luck :p

had a speech assessment last term, we skipped this topic to do crimes first.
19.5/20 >.<
half marks goes up right? LOL
No unfortunantely not, It depends if you teacher prefers to push them up. The only time marks are rounded is when your final HSC mark is found.

adamj

Originally posted by Ziff
My goal = be ahead of the class by as much as possible. So far we're on track...
Like me, I came first. In year 11, I beat every student in every assessment task by far. In year 12, I did the same only I came second by 2 marks in one assessment (I still think the question of that assessment was unfair - there are 6 elements to a contract, not three).

adamj

Originally posted by Ms 12
They shouldn't be giving you assessments that are only worth 5%, its really unfair.

But if Ive said it once, Ive said it 3 million times, its not your marks that count, its your rank and the relative difference between you and the person who comes first. Don't stress about crap marks if the rest of your class are getting them as well, you are probably marked harshly...this is why we have HSC exams that are marked externally and sort everyone out!
Exactly right, and some teachers mark hard to prepare you for the HSC and ensure you get feedback. Low marks are also a reason why marks are mapped and scaled.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by SKA
my goal.. not to come last!!!
lol yeah! thank God that never happened to me last year :p

i hated studying for law & society, but i think our assessment was only human rights anyway, a hand-in essay. i got 80%...

btw, cramming for human rights really works :D i'd barely touched it at all before the trials, the night before my exam i crammed in all these facts for about an hour. "revise hsc legal studies in a month" is good for that :p

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I thought the Legal in a month book was pathetic....quite a waste of money if you ask me!

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
lol yeah i'm glad i never bought it... parts of it weren't too helpful but i found it really useful for human rights :p instead of having to look through the whole chapter the macmillan.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I've borrowed the HSC Legal Excel book from the library.

Have your teachers been asking you strange questions lately? Like, my Legal teacher is asking us questions I've neve encoutered in legal before...

For Law and Society/Justice (whatever it's called) right... questions similar to these:

1. What is the role of procedural fairness in the workplace?

2. The civil law system is based on written arguments. The Common law system is based on oral arguments. Which system is better and why?

3. Judges should be seen to be unbiased. Why? Give examples with media and cases...

It's amazing that when I randomly start pulling things from my arse like "unfair dismissal" for question one, I get it correct...

Still, have you people encountered questions like that?

Yeah, I agree, 5% assessment tasks are a waste of time. I would understand something crappy like a m/c as 5% but when they're asking for 1,000+ word essays and a lot of research and it only amounts to 5% it's a rip-off...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)