• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Keyboards (1 Viewer)

MrMiK

does it seriously help you type?
.. cuz it all sounds a lil whakt to me..
i thought the keys ona qwerty were places how they are because of common and less common characters.... :S

-X-

HSC
N/A
yoshi, how does dvorak help your wrist?

MrMik: As yoshi showed, dvorak is extremely easy to pickup and fast. Took me years to start typing with out looking but for yoshi, a month. :p

Yes, QWERTY was designed to slow us down. Look at the seperation of vouls and compare it to dvorak. DVORAK has something like A O E U I all next to each other.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by -X-
Its dvoraq.
No, it's Dvorak, like the famous romantic composer.
Originally posted by -X-
Cause the faster you type, the more likely your going to make mstkes. :p
Actually qwerty was designed for typewriters to prevent the keys from getting stuck. Remember the keys needed to recoil after striking the ribbon.

fatmuscle

HSC
hire a receptionist to type for you

you speak, it types!

then you won't get sore wrists.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I have a "transparent" Mac Keyboard (the one that comes with an iMac).

Originally posted by Agent Z
lol!! luv the thread!!!!
Does anyonehere use a dvorty?!?!
I can set mine to Dovark, but I don't know how to type with it (all I know is vowels in the center)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by yoshi
Windows, Linux and (probably) MacOS support keymapping - what this does is change your keyboard layout through software. So you can type merrily in Dvorak.
Yes, MacOSX supports lots of keyboards, including international (like Chinese) and Dovarak.

Easy to change to.

*Wonders what the difference between "Dovarak" and "Dovark - Querty" settings are*

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
No, it's Dvorak, like the famous romantic composer.Actually qwerty was designed for typewriters to prevent the keys from getting stuck. Remember the keys needed to recoil after striking the ribbon.
Was a typo.
Ok your right and so was I. However there seems to be no evidence supporting these facts. But it DOES slow you down (whether it was intended to or not).

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/Q/QWERTY_keyboard.html

By the looks of it DVORAK is newer.....I thought it was the old style. However, its not widely accepted by computer (probably because of what i said earlier about more mistakes). Some interesting info here:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/Dvorak_keyboard.html
It has been estimated that in an average eight-hour day, a typist's hands travel 16 miles on a QWERTY keyboard, but only 1 mile on a Dvorak keyboard.
:eek:

yoshi

Originally posted by -X-
yoshi, how does dvorak help your wrist?
Dvorak has been designed so that the most common letters used in English are placed on the home row - notice that all the vowels are there. It has also been designed so that the hands are alternating as much as possible for every keypress - e.g. to type "hello my name is" the hand sequence is "RLRRL RLRLRL LR" [Right, Left], a very nice alternation so that one hand doesn't have constant tension.

When I go back to qwerty now I can feel the amount of stretching I have to do with my wrists, and it's a lot more than dvorak.

Originally posted by -X-
MrMik: As yoshi showed, dvorak is extremely easy to pickup and fast. Took me years to start typing with out looking but for yoshi, a month. :p
I could do this with qwerty before I learnt Dvorak. If you were to try to learn to type for the first time on Dvorak it would take much longer.

yoshi

Originally posted by MrMiK
does it seriously help you type?
.. cuz it all sounds a lil whakt to me..
It does if you touch type!

Realistically, a good typist will be around as fast on qwerty as on dvorak. However, they will most likely enjoy dvorak more because they won't have pain in their hands after lots of typing.

yoshi

Originally posted by McLake
I can set mine to Dovark, but I don't know how to type with it (all I know is vowels in the center)
The method I used is technically called "the mash." Proceed to mash your hand over different areas of the keyboard until you find the letter you want. Make your "mash matrix" smaller in area each time until you find the key. Rinse, repeat.

Winston

HSC
Move Away u dvorak's and qwerty's here comes 1337board!

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Thank $DEITY _someone_ has a clue what Dvorak is.

Anyways, if I had my way, I'd be typing on an IBM Model-M...

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with this cheapo no-name brand one. Mushy keys! Yay!

Or not, rather.

tempco

HSC
$60?? I have no idea what extra features would make you buy a mousepad for $60.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner

But like i can't give up my $60 mousepad >_<
ROFL! Does it glow in the dark?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)