• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

just wondering... (1 Viewer)

BOLDasLOVE

HSC
N/A
So, im looking for another job for after hsc and all, and i was wondering, should i put down on my resume that i had a previous job or not, seeing as though i didnt exactly get a reference or ask a manager to be a referee or anything like that as i reli wasnt thinking at the time, however i only worked there for about 6moths. If i did put it down on my resume though no contact details, like referee info, is that ok??......just that i dont want employeers to think i didnt get a reference cos i was sucky employee. Oh btw, how do u get a refernce? do emplyers just give them to you or do u ask for them at the end? .........THANX in advance

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Lots of places you can work without experience.

You don't necessarily need to put it down, just be prepared to explain yourself at interview.

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
Put down that you have worked - it will look good as usually an employer will go for the person with experience.

Regarding the reference, I did the same thing as you when I left, I had basically forgotton to ask for a reference or wether I could use the manager as a referee, I had worked at this place for only 5 months and left the job in September 2005.

Now when I was going for full time work a couple of weeks ago, I was required to give the details of my last employer so they could ring for a reference. All I did was ring my old employer up (first time I had spoken to anyone from the business for a year), and asked if it would be alright if they contacted him regarding me, and all was sweet, he agreed and it was good to catch up with him (it was a pretty kick ass place to work - nice people). So you may as well ring your old employer up and ask if they could be a reference as you are going for new work. (If you were a good employee, it is illegal for them to give you a bad reference anyway I think.)

Now if you can interpret that, hope it helps :)

BOLDasLOVE

HSC
N/A
hmm ok, so i put down that i didnt have work history on a resume i sent off to a couple places, cos im like to a friend, should i put it on, will thy think i suck seing as though i didnt get a ref? and hes like if they dont care about experience or not dws, but how stupid, i should have just put it on the resume ayy...i have an interveiw, and i was going to tell em about it, but i donno if that will make me look like the most hmmm "non attention to detail person ever".....i reli want this job, and i noe they dont require experience, im just worried itll come out latter on that i had a job...and then ill be like fired for lying......but hey, i havent even got the job yet, so who noes..im just talking bout hypertheticals ay......is it best to tell the employer, even though i will look stupid for not checking over my email before emailing it, or should i just go with it, i may not get the job, and then there would be no fear of being cought out for lying, or allternativly bu telling them i could boost my chances..though look like an i diot.....i guess maybe it depends on the employer ey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)