• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Just Read It. (1 Viewer)

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
I actually did a search (something I dont usually do before making a thread) and I couldnt see one.

Sort of like a Book Review idea, since alot of people want to know which books are good I thought why not have a thread where people can rate the book they just read and give reasons why - so if someone says they hated a book cos it was 'trashy chic' but someone loves 'trashy chic' they know to seek a second opinion.

To start it off I read 'Holy Fools' by Joanne Harris. Not my favourite novel by her but it was an interesting read. I'd definitely reccomend reading it to anyone who likes her books, but definitely do not support any of the comments on religion.

HSC
I've just read Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly. Huge fan of his stuff and this book did not disappoint me. i've seen other posts by BOSers and it looks like they enjoyed it too. While it is fictitious, he does make strong links with the story and the real world.

Great book, 4/5.

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
euskadi said:
he does make strong links with the story and the real world.
bullshit. he says himself that his stories are full of shit.

Theres too many books to recommend. But there are the great ones. Life of Pi for one was excellent. Reading non fiction bios aint bad either [recently read Lance Armstrongs and Aron Ralstons]. Meh. Theres too much to recommend. This threads pretty ghey.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
euskadi_warrior said:
I've just read Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly. Huge fan of his stuff and this book did not disappoint me. i've seen other posts by BOSers and it looks like they enjoyed it too. While it is fictionous, he does make strong links with the story and the real world.

Great book, 4/5.
I'm reading it now, getting really exciting lol. Just for interest, Matt Reilly went to my school, St Aloysius College, he recently visited the school for a english competition at assembly. He's a funny bloke.

walrusbear

HSC
if i'm to make generalisations based on BOS postings presumably 90% of Australia's reading consists entirely of dan brown and matthew reilly

HSC
Bookie said:
bullshit. he says himself that his stories are full of shit.
I know that...hence why I said it was...

euskadi_warrior said:
fictitious
When I said that he relates his story to the real world, i meant that he throws in real places, buildings and situations like in 7AW: the pyramid on the American dollar and the statue of Lincoln. Whilst it's obvious that the link is fake, i believe is interesting how he makes those links.

I reckon all books by Matthew Reilly are awesome, but ya know its all fake.

Riviet: Hope you enjoy it!

Argonaut: Totally agree.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
if i'm to make generalisations based on BOS postings presumably 90% of Australia's reading consists entirely of dan brown and matthew reilly
I havent read anythign of either authors.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
You must be part of the 10% that reads other books. :D

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i just read Incurable by John Marsden, which is the second bok in the Ellie Chronicles, the follow on series from the Tomorrow When the War Began series. it was good, but not as good as his other books. i LOVE the Tomorrow series, one of my fave series ever.
id give it... 6/10

X

xeuyrawp

walrusbear said:
There's really something wrong with our education system :S

*ducks for cover* :p

I would say that James Frey's book, A Million Little Pieces. As much as I love Oprah, but never listen to what she says, she was write about this book -- Just read it! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)