• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is picking up 4u math worth it? (1 Viewer)

qwert73

HSC
Hi i'm thinking about picking up 4u maths however i've heard that it takes a huge amount of time and that it can cause you to do badly in other subjects. I'm doing well in 3u and am finishing my 2u HSC this year(expecting a mid to high 90's) however i'm not doing that great in some of my other subjects(english especially). If i pick up 4u i'll be on 11 units, else i'll be on 10 units (8 really because i'm finishing 2u this year) and I think that i'll do better with just 3u math left, however i've heard that 4u can be really rewarding and i'm also thinking of doing engineering in uni and i've heard that 4u is really helpful with that. Is picking up 4u worth itseeign as i really jsut want to get a 96+ ATAR. Thanks :)

nancylime

HSC
It is so worth it - if you enjoy maths it is an awesome course.
It does require alot of practise but if you are only going to have 11 units with it you will have time.
And the scaling will help you get a good atar, especially if your english marks aren't too flash :)

MilkyCat_

HSC
If you enjoy maths and think you are capable give it a go because it can greatly benefit your atar

buriza

conviction
HSC
4u can indeed boost your ATAR quite a bit if you do relatively well in it. Might want to get into a good habit of doing practice questions and papers rather consistently though.

Mathsisfun15

HSC
4U means 2 units of 3U and because you do a harder subject 3U becomes straightforward.
If you are doing well in 2U and 3U like you said you should definitely do it

Kaido

be.
HSC
I'm doing 4U atm, and I think that it is NOT worth the time if you are good at maths, esp if you are confident in getting 94+ in 3U
English will most likely be affected as 4U becomes a distraction (as it is too intriguing), so no, do not pick it up

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I'm doing 4U atm, and I think that it is NOT worth the time if you are good at maths, esp if you are confident in getting 94+ in 3U
English will most likely be affected as 4U becomes a distraction (as it is too intriguing), so no, do not pick it up
If your getting 94+, shouldn't that be an incentive to do 4u? I dont get what you mean by not doing it if your good at maths :/
Plus, if you have good time management than you can balance all your subjects including english. 4u doesnt consume your life, it only happens if your bad at maths and your shouldnt be doing it if you are

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
This is a weird response...

If you can do 4U, then do it.

HSC
This is probably the worst response imo

If you're capable of getting 94+ in 3u, then you should be doing 4u maths!

By doing 4u maths, not only are you picking a subject in which you are enjoying and doing well, you'll be saving your ass more time as you're able to drop an entire subject and be on 10 units.

By only doing 3u maths, you are forced to do 11 units (unless u do 1 unit of studies of religion which not many people do), meaning an extra subject, which weighs your marks down because of the added content.

OP, if you're doing well in maths and enjoy maths, i strongly encourage you to pick up 4u maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)