• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it really too late? (1 Viewer)

richiie

HSC
Hey guys;

Okay, so ill be honest with you all, Year 11 has been abit of a slacking off year for me even though i planned to have tried my hardest this year opposed to the past years in highschool. Well im just wondering; Is it really too late to start now?. Well i know its never too late but what are some tips for me to really get somewhere this next term ( first term of year 12 ) and actually not say to myself "Well it was a good mark for doing it last minute!" . Ive finalised on my timetable stucture and so forth. So is there anything else possible to do?

cheers; Richiie

aminrafiee

-Mini-
HSC
Hey
I can tell you from experience, it is never too late. I have no knowledge of anything that i "should" have learnt in year 11. I can tell you that it wont have much effect on any subject apart from mathematics. Mathematic is probably the only course that requires you to use the logic that was taught to you from year 8 and so on. It all depends how you think about it, the thing that helped me the fact that if you want to act like a man you should do this. Putting it off and lacking off is a sign of weakness and immaturity. Also it depends how bad you want to do something with your life. If your expectation is to be a Apprentice then you have nothing to worry about, but if you want to achieve something then you have to work for it. Nothing great in life can be gained without hard work.

I like many others in my environment did not pay attention to this, and as a result i jigged ALOT of year 11 and begining of year 12. I could see the effect this had by simply looking at my exams, but yet still i told my self "ah i swear im gonna study from now on" but as many do its a psychological thing to say to overcome your failure.

The Thing that changed my perspective towards school was the time i spent at home due to my gland fever. You just have to realise what you want from your self and if you would be happy doing that. And Most importantly it seperated me from the people who lowered my expectations. Seperating you self from people who's ambition is to work with bricks and etc.. (not trying to offend anyone, some people enjoy these things) is the best thing you can do to allow yourself to understand what it is that YOU want. Its stupid but it does effect you. If everyone around you speaks with low goals such as "man dont worry about the hsc, have fun, their is always another way like tafe" will make you think hey their right you know, it doesnt matter. But in reality it does. And if you think you can get anywhere with tafe, trust me you cant. Tafe does not give you the skills to be at the top.

Sorry ive spoken to much. But ill just use this as an example. I personally "slacked" off in year 10, 11 and most of year 12 until term 2. But then i put a stop to it and tried. My english ranking was near last (87/92) but i changed this in a matter of weeks to what i am now which is (15/92). It made me realise i can do anything. My Physics teacher said and i quote "With the ammount of times you have been to class in contrast with your mark, i think you should have gotten 100 if you came everyday".

My advice is to you is to find out what it is that you want and be a man about it and get it. Its one year and although it may seem long, trust my words, It is one year which could change your life, but the outcome is always in your hands.

Amin

Last edited:

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
aminrafiee said:
Hey
I can tell you from experience, it is never too late. I have no knowledge of anything that i "should" have learnt in year 11. I can tell you that it wont have much effect on any subject apart from mathematics. Mathematic is probably the only course that requires you to use the logic that was taught to you from year 8 and so on. It all depends how you think about it, the thing that helped me the fact that if you want to act like a man you should do this. Putting it off and lacking off is a sign of weakness and immaturity. Also it depends how bad you want to do something with your life. If your expectation is to be a Apprentice then you have nothing to worry about, but if you want to achieve something then you have to work for it. Nothing great in life can be gained without hard work.

I like many others in my environment did not pay attention to this, and as a result i jigged ALOT of year 11 and begining of year 12. I could see the effect this had by simply looking at my exams, but yet still i told my self "ah i swear im gonna study from now on" but as many do its a psychological thing to say to overcome your failure.

The Thing that changed my perspective towards school was the time i spent at home due to my gland fever. You just have to realise what you want from your self and if you would be happy doing that. And Most importantly it seperated me from the people who lowered my expectations. Seperating you self from people who's ambition is to work with bricks and etc.. (not trying to offend anyone, some people enjoy these things) is the best thing you can do to allow yourself to understand what it is that YOU want. Its stupid but it does effect you. If everyone around you speaks with low goals such as "man dont worry about the hsc, have fun, their is always another way like tafe" will make you think hey their right you know, it doesnt matter. But in reality it does. And if you think you can get anywhere with tafe, trust me you cant. Tafe does not give you the skills to be at the top.

Sorry ive spoken to much. But ill just use this as an example. I personally "slacked" off in year 10, 11 and most of year 12 until term 2. But then i put a stop to it and tried. My english ranking was near last (87/92) but i changed this in a matter of weeks to what i am now which is (15/92). It made me realise i can do anything. My Physics teacher said and i quote "With the ammount of times you have been to class in contrast with your mark, i think you should have gotten 100 if you came everyday".

My advice is to you is to find out what it is that you want and be a man about it and get it. Its one year and although it may seem long, trust my words, It is one year which could change your life, but the outcome is always in your hands.

Amin
87 --> 15?

Congrats Amin, top effort. It's people like YOU that make ME frightened of losing the top spot i had in year 11 - bastards.

Haha no really, top effort.

Year 12's a clean slate, no mark roll over from year 11. Though you can argue having done well in year 11 will make your understanding of year 12 courses a bit easier, if you REALLY are committed, theres nothing to stop you getting those high 90's.

Dont search for outside excuses, bad teachers, bad textbooks, too little free time, no motivation. To quote a Nike cliche, just get in there and do it.

fakingtheday

HSC
*jumps on the bandwagon*

i swear if i knew you i'd find you and bash you. Now is when you do start working. I went from 14th in advanced english at yr 11 half yearlies to 1st at the end of year 12. All you gotta do is try a little tenderness. Give it your best, there's no better time to start, nail the first few assessments.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Too late? You havent even started Year 12 yet =/

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
fakingtheday said:
*jumps on the bandwagon*

i swear if i knew you i'd find you and bash you. Now is when you do start working. I went from 14th in advanced english at yr 11 half yearlies to 1st at the end of year 12. All you gotta do is try a little tenderness. Give it your best, there's no better time to start, nail the first few assessments.
14th - 1st

Has *anyone* ever stayed 1st - 1st?

richiie

HSC
too late?

So i guess it is possible to beat those goingg to tutoring, studying 24/7 and coming first in every subject then.

Richiie

pRiNCesS..!!

HSC
year 11 is a total bludge...ive actually bludged year 12 to..but i did the same..except i changed schools and was like "right im really going to knuckle down and get good marks"..and that hasnt/didnt happen!
still ive got a week to study for the HSC and i dont think its too late :) the only thing i would have done different is do a summary EVERY night after school of what you did that day in each subject..or do it in your frees even,just make sure your up to date..and on a sunday night when ur bored as all hell,read over what you learnt that week..its not hardcore stuydy but it would seriously have helped me alot!i have this problem that i write stuff but dont really take in wat im writing or copying from the board or the text book! keep a close eye on ur syllabus too..make sure you know what everything means..ask lots of questions..then when it comes around..make summaries of your summaries until you know the syllabus outcomes off by heart!

goodluck!

P

pLuvia

Why would it be too late, you have one year to prove to yourself anything is possible

Just revise constantly, and of course you can beat those tutoring people, some only go because they struggle with the course, others may go for extra curriculum or to strengthen their knowledge

Well if they're coming first in every subject, that's still possible

Learn from those people you consider "smart"

aminrafiee

-Mini-
HSC
The reason people dont tend to stay in first place all year through is because when you are coming first you don't try as hard as someone who wants to beat you. Another advice i can give you is start doing pat HSC papers. I know you wont understand much of it, but that wil make you teach yourself to understand them.

I can gurantee you that you will see some of the past HSC questions throughout year 12 examination papers.

"Dont search for outside excuses, Bad teachers"
Just a comment on that reply. Sadly their is such a thing. I can honestly say i have not learnt anything in Software Design & Developement throughout the year. My teacher is a joke. If you ask a question it takes him the whole period to answer it. I decided to get a tuter 3 weeks ago and i have learnt more in that time than i had in 40 weeks.

Lastly stop asking everyone if its too late or what they got or what you should do. Just Do it. If you work for Nike, sorry to quote your line.

Last edited:

hipPo3

HSC
richiie said:
Hey guys;

Okay, so ill be honest with you all, Year 11 has been abit of a slacking off year for me even though i planned to have tried my hardest this year opposed to the past years in highschool. Well im just wondering; Is it really too late to start now?. Well i know its never too late but what are some tips for me to really get somewhere this next term ( first term of year 12 ) and actually not say to myself "Well it was a good mark for doing it last minute!" . Ive finalised on my timetable stucture and so forth. So is there anything else possible to do?

cheers; Richiie
u havent even begun nubber .. and its never too late to shape up

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
No way in hell is it too late. In fact, consider Year 11 a bit of a joke compared to Year 12. Nothing, with the exception of maths, really requires the prelim knowledge. In fact, looking back I think I should've started studying the Year 12 syllabus in Year 11.

On starting the new term, I suggest you sit alone in class (front row) or next to someone who won't bug you. As much of a pain in the ass as it can be, it really does force you to listen and absorb what's being taught. Other than that, just study consistently, maybe an hour and a half including homework, cram a week for half-yearlies exams (maybe 2 for trials), then accelerate the efforts around July.

ScottyG said:
14th - 1st

Has *anyone* ever stayed 1st - 1st?
I have, from Year 7 to 12 :p.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Phew c_james lol - I worked damn hard for English and I'm not letting it go.

And in response, yeah there are bad teachers, but its when you use them as an excuse for your bad work INSTEAD of rectifying your mistakes and really putting in the hard yards.

Bad teachers often lead to the *students* not doing assigned homework (if they get any) and not revising. Once the classroom and friend mentality of 'our teachers crap, dont worry, nobody else did that sheet either' kicks in you'll have problems.

aminrafiee

-Mini-
HSC
ScottyG said:
Phew c_james lol - I worked damn hard for English and I'm not letting it go.

And in response, yeah there are bad teachers, but its when you use them as an excuse for your bad work INSTEAD of rectifying your mistakes and really putting in the hard yards.

Bad teachers often lead to the *students* not doing assigned homework (if they get any) and not revising. Once the classroom and friend mentality of 'our teachers crap, dont worry, nobody else did that sheet either' kicks in you'll have problems.

Im sorry to say, but your statement is not correct. Their is such a thing as a bad teacher. In most cases students do blame the teacher as a result of their own failure but in small cases teachers are to blame for their failure to teach correctly.

klaw

HSC
aminrafiee said:
Im sorry to say, but your statement is not correct. Their is such a thing as a bad teacher. In most cases students do blame the teacher as a result of their own failure but in small cases teachers are to blame for their failure to teach correctly.
You can teach yourself in most subjects by reading the textbook and occasionally asking ppl (fellow students, BoS, etc) about stuff you don't understand

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
klaw said:
You can teach yourself in most subjects by reading the textbook and occasionally asking ppl (fellow students, BoS, etc) about stuff you don't understand
Exactly, and although it may not be as quick or convenient as having a teacher - if you really want to do it - you can and will.

klaw

HSC
ScottyG said:
Exactly, and although it may not be as quick or convenient as having a teacher - if you really want to do it - you can and will.
I find it much quicker and efficient than having a teacher. You can work at your own pace.

aminrafiee

-Mini-
HSC
klaw said:
The topic of my argument was based on a bad teacher, i did not mention being doomed because of it. I agree that books are better, in fact i have never looked at my physics or I.T notes yet im doing excellent. But if you are going to base your knowledge on text books it takes away the purpose of attending school. Which is what i was arguing in the last statement. Why should some students be forced to teach themselves as a result of bad teaching. Thats like going to a resturant and after finishing your meal, having to clean the table and washing your plates.

Sorry this is off topic, but doesn anyone know if I.T (Information Technology) is ranked according to your whole years performance or according to the HSC exam (HSC exam counts 100%)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)