• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

iphone vs nokia e63... (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
hmm, the problem is that it's only three months, and you get stuck on a 24month contract. i'm quite happy with the credit and data on the social caps.

yeah that's what i was worried about, since i know i can use itunes but i wasnt sure if the e63's mp3 would be easy to use. i already have an ipod nano, i just thought it would be better to have a combined device so there's less chance of losing my iPod lol.
Outta interest why are you getting an e63 on a plan anyway? As others have mentioned an e63 should be cheaper on prepaid (albeit network locked).

Anyway, despite being a Nokia fanboy, I'm really over the way Nokia has ****ed me over. I may even make a thread about it :)

HSC
so after all the big discussion, i still want an iphone but for purely budget reasons i got the e63 today on the $19 social cap. finally a new phone yayayayayay

Outta interest why are you getting an e63 on a plan anyway? As others have mentioned an e63 should be cheaper on prepaid (albeit network locked).
the plan is only $19/month all inclusive (phone/credit/data), which works out to be $456 over the whole term (2yrs). seemed like a good deal considering that the phone is like $200 outright and i'd have to pay for a prepaid plan on top of that. worst case scenario i exceed my credit and end up going to the $29 cap, i was using that much on prepaid with a crap phone and not getting any bonuses, and i always ran out of credit exactly when i needed it most. i'm not really a heavy phone user, i text quite a bit but the only other thing i'd use it for is internet. so i get $55 credit and 100MB of data/month plus unlimited facebook/youtube, i doubt i'll need more than that tbh. and looking at prepaid caps, a lot of them focus on calls (which i hardly ever do) and free calls/texts to people on the same network (which is only about two of my friends).

Anyway, despite being a Nokia fanboy, I'm really over the way Nokia has ****ed me over. I may even make a thread about it :)
i see that you did end up making a thread, i just read it. it does worry me a bit since i got my new phone today haha.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
so after all the big discussion, i still want an iphone but for purely budget reasons i got the e63 today on the $19 social cap. finally a new phone yayayayayay

the plan is only $19/month all inclusive (phone/credit/data), which works out to be $456 over the whole term (2yrs). seemed like a good deal considering that the phone is like $200 outright and i'd have to pay for a prepaid plan on top of that. worst case scenario i exceed my credit and end up going to the $29 cap, i was using that much on prepaid with a crap phone and not getting any bonuses, and i always ran out of credit exactly when i needed it most. i'm not really a heavy phone user, i text quite a bit but the only other thing i'd use it for is internet. so i get $55 credit and 100MB of data/month plus unlimited facebook/youtube, i doubt i'll need more than that tbh. and looking at prepaid caps, a lot of them focus on calls (which i hardly ever do) and free calls/texts to people on the same network (which is only about two of my friends).

i see that you did end up making a thread, i just read it. it does worry me a bit since i got my new phone today haha.
If it makes you feel any better, the E63/E71 are extremely stable and if you bought it from a decent shop which has updated stock, it should have the latest firmware. If not, you can try updating it yourself using Nokia Software Updater. This will ensure you get a decent experience, good battery life, the latest features, etc... there's also quite a lot of decent software for the obvious needs of the modern phone user- Email on 3 (I used this before) or the official Gmail app, Fring (for IM), Joikuspot (turning your phone into a wireless hotspot if you have wifi- not sure if E63 has this), etc...

I was more just ranty/angsty because Nokia has a habit of taking forever to roll out firmware updates to their latest phones- i.e. they launch new flagship models with buckets of features... but not 100% working.

HSC
If it makes you feel any better, the E63/E71 are extremely stable and if you bought it from a decent shop which has updated stock, it should have the latest firmware. If not, you can try updating it yourself using Nokia Software Updater. This will ensure you get a decent experience, good battery life, the latest features, etc... there's also quite a lot of decent software for the obvious needs of the modern phone user- Email on 3 (I used this before) or the official Gmail app, Fring (for IM), Joikuspot (turning your phone into a wireless hotspot if you have wifi- not sure if E63 has this), etc...

I was more just ranty/angsty because Nokia has a habit of taking forever to roll out firmware updates to their latest phones- i.e. they launch new flagship models with buckets of features... but not 100% working.
oh phew, it should be right then. yeah email is a bit of a pain atm because for some reason setup is weird, i have to go to google then to gmail/windows live rather than the phone application, which is annoying but liveable.

it's understandable that you'd be angry, they should do enough product testing to make sure everything works. and obviously it's not an isolated incident either. i'm fairly lucky because i'll only use it for basic things i.e. calls/text/email/internet.

on a non-software related issue, i scratched the screen on the second day of owning it, fail :/. will need to be more careful from now on lol.

HSC
Are you on 3? Stick to the Nokia Email / Email on 3 deal for like $5/mth.
nope, i get 100mb of data and unlimited facebook/youtube so i don't think i'll go over it, i'm in reach of a computer most times so i'll only check my email by phone about once a day. if i do the next plan up isn't that expensive, and extra data costs aren't all that bad either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)