• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

iPhone OS 4 (1 Viewer)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
For those of you who don't know, iPhone OS 4 was released officially Tuesday and leaked a while ago. If you didn't know, go and download it from iTunes NAO. It's so much better.

What do you guys think of it? Basically I think it's made the phone a bit closer to what it should have been from release.

Other than bluetooth freedom and 3rd party apps, what's the point of jailbreaking now? Do jailbroken iPhones have multi-tasking?

What are your opinions on the new OS?

Aeriff

HSC
The iPhone 3G (and iTouch 2G I think) were excluded from a few features, namely multitasking, springboard wallpapers & some other minor things.

To silence the people who are inevitably going to whinge, both multitasking and springboard wallpapers are obtainable by a jailbreak however both were excluded for good reason. The iPhone 3G has 128mb of RAM, 50-60mb of which is usable at most times. Imagine trying to run 2 apps with that much RAM. You'd be dumping memory constantly and thus, the phone would lag like a bitch. It also only has a 412mHz processor and according to Steve Jobs, the animations didn't perform as well as Apple would have liked on a 3G with a springboard wallpaper.

xMaNx

HSC
I was going to, but saw a number of issues with the upgrade on online forums and also with my friends phone (3GS), such as MMS not working and 3g/2g Internet not working, only way accessible for my friend to internet is wifi at home.

As for me, I have a 3G, I will update it once there is an update to this fixing up all the issues, with a number being bricking the phone, losing all apps & contacts which are not restored through a restore.

Aeriff

HSC
I was going to, but saw a number of issues with the upgrade on online forums and also with my friends phone (3GS), such as MMS not working and 3g/2g Internet not working, only way accessible for my friend to internet is wifi at home.

As for me, I have a 3G, I will update it once there is an update to this fixing up all the issues, with a number being bricking the phone, losing all apps & contacts which are not restored through a restore.
I've restored to 4.0 four separate times and have had no issues at all. Just because a bunch of people experienced it doesn't mean you will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)