• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Induction (1 Viewer)

Trev

stix
HSC
Prove cos(nx)+isin(nx)=(cosx+isinx)<sup>n</sup>
(cosx+isinx)<sup>k</sup> = cos(kx)+isin(kx).
Consider n=k+1:
(cosx+isinx)<sup>k+1</sup>
=(cosx+isinx).(cosx+isinx)<sup>k</sup>
=(cosx+isinx).(cos(kx)+isin(kx))
Multiplying out we get:
cos(kx).cos(x) - sin(kx).sin(x) + i(sin(kx).cos(x) + cos(kx).sin(x))
[Noting that:
sin(x + y) = sin(x) cos(y) + sin(y) cos(x)
cos(x + y) = cos(x) cos(y) - sin(x) sin(y)]
It is the same as cos[(k+1)x]+isin[(k+1)x]

Just format that to how you're supposed to for induction questions.

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
but just remember that induction on its own is not sufficient for a proof of the generalised DeMoivre's Theorem. (in other words, at the HSC level, you can only restrict the use of DMT to {k: k is a non-negative integer})

although the case for all rationals is simple, the case for all reals is not. (assuming one is not allowed to use Euler's equation, which itself deserves a proof before use)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
who_loves_maths said:
although the case for all rationals is simple, the case for all reals is not. (assuming one is not allowed to use Euler's equation, which itself deserves a proof before use)
Fortunately for us, this is not examined in the HSC, but I wouldn't mind studying it in uni.

P.S who loves maths, I didn't know you were a benefactor! When did you become one?

I

icycloud

who_loves_maths said:
They really should teach Euler's formula in HSC, it makes things so much easier. But I guess the proof of the formula involves complex analysis so that integration/differentiation is defined over C, although taking "z" as a normal variable and using HSC calculus methods works, it's not mathematically sound without establishing the fundamentals of complex analysis? (e.g. z=c+is, dz=iz d@, 1/z=i@, e^i@=z=c+is)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)