• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Illegible writing (1 Viewer)

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
I repeat, there are no typists in marking centres. Possibly the marker is confused because a small number of answers come typed, but that is because the student was given permission to use a computer, not because it was typed by another person (the imaginary typist).

katoji

HSC
Do most HSC markers actually give a lot of effort in order to read the illegible writing, to maximise the students' marks? Or after awhile do they just see it and think, "Illegible" and just move on giving a mark on what they can see?

herbs1

HSC
Do most HSC markers actually give a lot of effort in order to read the illegible writing, to maximise the students' marks? Or after awhile do they just see it and think, "Illegible" and just move on giving a mark on what they can see?
HSC markers get paid big bucks to care. So yes, they try their best.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What we do is we try on our own first, maybe ask someone near us for a word or two and then go to our Senior Marker. The SM will sit down with the marker and the script and try to read what they can and then the marker will award a mark. The second marker will do the same thing. If the marks are discrepant then the SM will get to make the final decision.

I have spoken today to the English markers at our school and all of them have said the same thing - no typists at all for illegible work - just no marks or the same process I have described above. None of the markers at my school, and that covers about 70% of the staff, have ever heard of an illegible script being sent for typing.

Yes we do get typed scripts - because the student has some other issue and the special consideration that that student has been awarded includes being able to type their work.

engie_benji

HSC
yeh, my teacher is also a marker and she said that if they cant read it, some markers claim they can decipher any handwriting, they might only get thru one by the time the rest get thru 4 but they get thru it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)