• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ideal marks for Maths...? (1 Viewer)

beentherdunthat

HSC
cccclaire said:
no 2u, I'm doing an 'accelerated' course but not really. Rather than starting it in year 10 (like most schools do) we're just cramming the whole two years of 2u into year 11 so we can sit the HSC at the end of it. And then we don't start any 3u til year 12, and then in year 12 we do the whole 2 year 3u course in one year.
its rather complicated and basically irrelevent.

The point of my post however was, that marks don't count, only rank does.

Errrmm... Do you go to my school by any chance? M.F.I.S ? lol :D ... and if you are, honey we do the 3unit course in a matter of like 6-7 weeks...not a year!!!

cs01001

HSC
No, she goes to Reddam.

My school teacher tells us 3U students to be getting at least 75%+ in 2U to be worthy of doing the 3U course.

beentherdunthat

HSC
cs01001 said:
No, she goes to Reddam.

My school teacher tells us 3U students to be getting at least 75%+ in 2U to be worthy of doing the 3U course.
Um yeah that's true. You know the 3unit course is what it's name suggests. An EXTENSION of the two unit course. The two unit course is SO SIMPLE!!! Don't expect to get high 90's in it from the beginning ... to tell you the truth.. I never got a 90 in 2unit during the whole course. I ended up with high 90's in the 2unit hsc.. The key is to PRACTISE past HSC papers. Each question is usually a reflection of another... in the end you'll be laughing at the examiners because there questions are SO TYPICAL. lol

HSC
cs01001 said:
No, she goes to Reddam.

Well I don't know about "worthy" but you are getting less than that in year 11 you should really consider whether or not it is for you, because they increase the workload shitloads as you go further into the course.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
Um yeah that's true. You know the 3unit course is what it's name suggests. An EXTENSION of the two unit course. The two unit course is SO SIMPLE!!! Don't expect to get high 90's in it from the beginning ... to tell you the truth.. I never got a 90 in 2unit during the whole course. I ended up with high 90's in the 2unit hsc.. The key is to PRACTISE past HSC papers. Each question is usually a reflection of another... in the end you'll be laughing at the examiners because there questions are SO TYPICAL. lol
2-unit is dead easy. So its hilariously funny when ppl get 10 out of 45 (and i go to a farily good school too).

Although i am going fairly bad (60-75%, the tests are tricky lol), damn them stupid SILLY MISTAKES!!! :burn::burn::burn:

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
lol.. our prelim for 3u was HARD... basically all of us failed so it's relative to your school to be honest, you should talk to your teachers regarding how good you're going.

beentherdunthat

HSC
S1M0 said:
2-unit is dead easy. So its hilariously funny when ppl get 10 out of 45 (and i go to a farily good school too).

Although i am going fairly bad (60-75%, the tests are tricky lol), damn them stupid SILLY MISTAKES!!! :burn::burn::burn:
Yeah silly mistakes suck...I used to get more marks in q5-10 than 1-5 LOL... Once i got 6/12 for Q1...how HOPELESS lol

-pari-

HSC
N/A

Although i am going fairly bad (60-75%,
i'm sure it's hilariously funny for those above you that ppl get 60-75%

maths isn't everyone's strength, S1MO, try to respect that ;)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
-pari- said:
i'm sure it's hilariously funny for those above you that ppl get 60-75%

maths isn't everyone's strength, S1MO, try to respect that ;)
You misunderstood me. The people in my class are all capable at maths, otherwise they would've chosen or would've been put in general maths. The people who got 10 out of 45 used to beat me and used to get high rankings (3rd,5th,etc) last year.

So its a bit funny.....well know that i think of it its not at all funny. But i didn't mean to be mean/cruel/slack. Honest! :)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
cccclaire said:
no 2u, I'm doing an 'accelerated' course but not really. Rather than starting it in year 10 (like most schools do) we're just cramming the whole two years of 2u into year 11 so we can sit the HSC at the end of it. And then we don't start any 3u til year 12, and then in year 12 we do the whole 2 year 3u course in one year.
its rather complicated and basically irrelevent.

The point of my post however was, that marks don't count, only rank does.
That's pretty much how everyone who accelerates 2 unit maths in our school does it.

HSC
The accelerants in our year just skip year 8, go normal pace and finish a year early. Thing is though, if you didn't go well in year 7 you weren't considered for acceleration, no matter how smart you were in the later years. And also, out of the 30 or so people who were considered almost all ended up dropping back anyway.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Our 3U was pretty hard as well. No-one completely finished the exam paper. It's surprising, cause one person in the other 2U class got only 1/39 in their grading test :eek: Talk about effort.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
You misunderstood me. The people in my class are all capable at maths, otherwise they would've chosen or would've been put in general maths. The people who got 10 out of 45 used to beat me and used to get high rankings (3rd,5th,etc) last year.

So its a bit funny.....well know that i think of it its not at all funny. But i didn't mean to be mean/cruel/slack. Honest! :)
oh right *nods* i see.

my bad ;)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
-pari- said:
oh right *nods* i see.

my bad ;)
You think i'm making stuff up lol. :)

lol, well thats alright then. :D

mudcake42

HSC
I think our year generally sucks at maths because in year 12 (year above) they have two 4-unit maths classes, but in our year (year 11) we have three, 3 unit classes and heaps of people are going to (or should) drop.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
mudcake42 said:
I think our year generally sucks at maths because in year 12 (year above) they have two 4-unit maths classes, but in our year (year 11) we have three, 3 unit classes and heaps of people are going to (or should) drop.
lol, we got 9 students doing 3-unit, 3 of which should seriously drop. Then we got a whole class (1/4 of the year) doing 2-unit, and half of that year failing miserably.

And i really don't see how thats possible.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
You think i'm making stuff up lol. :)

lol, well thats alright then. :D
That's what you think. What've I got to gain in thinking of you as a bad, condescending, mean guy?

Um...nothing. :)

Though I can see why you mighta thought my tone was kinda sarcastic....*sigh* the one flow of the net - tone isn't communicated very well. *shrugs*

Pankcake Guddu

HSC
umop 3pisdn said:
Internally rank is more important than mark... the ideal mark is 1 greater than the next highest :D

Prelim doesn't count... except in your head, to put it one way. Which is important.

In 2 unit marks of 90-100 are quite achievable up until the very end of the course by anyone who makes an effort (I'd always miss on the hundred out by silly mistakes in 1 or 2 questions!)

In 3 unit don't be put off (don't give up, especially) if it's a bit lower, or even a lot lower, you'll get better

It can depend a lot on your school, eg. apparently Catholic schools use really tough tests.
yeah it does depend...im an accelerant in maths so i can see what ur worried aobut..but u dont need to be cos yr 11 does not have any input into ur yr12 marks. u just need to understa d the concepts. aim for ur best. most school set harder exams for preparation for the hsc. but dont get to comfortable with the idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)