• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I need Recommendations. (1 Viewer)

kekeheaven

HSC
Hi im Doing my HSC preliminary. Right now iM struggling in 3 unit maths, the fact that i can't really understand whats going on, and ALSO i do tutoring for 3 u yet i still struggle, The real question is I am aiming for a uai >85, and right now im doing 13 units and they are.
Maths 2u and 3u
english general 2u
physics
IPT
SDD(software design development)
BST (bussiness studies)

Really should i drop 3 unit maths? i am capable of geting good marks in it thats if really concentrate, Whats a good text books when it comes to learning Formulas and its concepts, Right now the text book im using doesn't really help, and im really struggling in understand whats going in 3u " ive already done circle geometry, trigonometry, polynomial, And just started induction and overall i get 30 percent in my exams.. REALLY I can achieve good any tips and pointers

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
If you are really struggling with extension 1 maths, then you should drop down to 2 unit maths. But that depends, what is the average mark in your extension 1 tests? If you are well below the class average, then you should drop down to 2 unit maths. As for textbooks, I would recommend the Cambridge 3 unit textbooks, really good for the extension 1 course, but only if you decide to continue doing extension 1 maths.
Just remember that you are able to get any UAI with any combination of subjects, it just depends on how well you do in them.

kekeheaven

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I would recommend the Cambridge 3 unit textbooks, really good for the extension 1 course, but only if you decide to continue doing extension 1 maths.
Just remember that you are able to get any UAI with any combination of subjects, it just depends on how well you do in them.
Ido cambridge 3 unit at tutoring yet i dont understand whats going on.. since i miss lessons now and then, my life is wrecked :mad1:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
kekeheaven said:
Ido cambridge 3 unit at tutoring yet i dont understand whats going on.. since i miss lessons now and then, my life is wrecked :mad1:
Well if you want to learn the basics and get comfortable with the topic, start off with the Maths In Focus textbooks, then move onto other textbooks such as the Fitzpatrick and Cambridge ones.
Your life is not wrecked, remember that the HSC is just another obstacle in life that has to be dealt with.

Last edited:

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
don't make any harsh decisions too soon, I was getting waaay below my class average for 3u maths during prelim as well (no tutoring) and now in HSC i understood it more, spent a bit more time on it, asked heaps of questions to my teachers and peers who helped me out with it and now I'm getting top of my class (still no tutoring) - so its very possible :)

I also do IPT and SDD and i think that they are great and easy subjects to pick up marks in, however IPT does scale down if you not up at the top end of the range so you will need some subjects like Maths Extension 1 to boost your mark up a bit. (thats what SAM has predicted for me anyway)

I used Cambridge in Prelim HSC and then in HSC i use the Couchman and Jones book.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
kekeheaven said:
Hi im Doing my HSC preliminary. Right now iM struggling in 3 unit maths, the fact that i can't really understand whats going on, and ALSO i do tutoring for 3 u yet i still struggle, The real question is I am aiming for a uai >85, and right now im doing 13 units and they are.
Maths 2u and 3u
english general 2u
physics
IPT
SDD(software design development)
BST (bussiness studies)

Really should i drop 3 unit maths? i am capable of geting good marks in it thats if really concentrate, Whats a good text books when it comes to learning Formulas and its concepts, Right now the text book im using doesn't really help, and im really struggling in understand whats going in 3u " ive already done circle geometry, trigonometry, polynomial, And just started induction and overall i get 30 percent in my exams.. REALLY I can achieve good any tips and pointers
I am in the exact situation as you ... I also struggle in 3 Unit Maths and got 29% in my last exam ....

Try to stay with 3 Unit throughout this preliminary course ...
if you still struggle with extension 1 maths yearly exams/end or prelim course ... drop it ... it may waste your time ...

wm_abusef said:
...however IPT does scale down if you not up at the top end of the range ...
what ?? is that true ?? I came 5th in my IPT class, should I be fine ?

kekeheaven

HSC
Hmm So is it still possible for me to catch up with all my work, only havinga term left till my hsc starts..

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
kekeheaven said:
Hmm So is it still possible for me to catch up with all my work, only havinga term left till my hsc starts..
assuming youre a no-hoper in extension 1 like me .. ^_^ ...

stay with extension 1 maths ... if theres no significant improvement in the yearly exam ... i would drop ... but then, this is my recommendaton and your choice ...

Try these threads for peoples repsonses to 3 Unit maths

http://community.boredofstudies.org/13/mathematics-extension-1/110087/doing-badly-3-unit-maths.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org/13/mathematics-extension-1/110348/ext-1-not-ext-1-hsc.html

Last edited:
HSC
yeh, like wat soulsearcher said, it doesn't matter wat combination of subjects u do, u can still get a good UAI

don't be swayed by scaling and other stuff like that on particluar subjects, cos that is a wrong way to look at it (scaling differs from year to year anyway, so it's almost impossible to judge a subject on scaling)...that is, if ur looking at it in that way

but anyway, just keep going, but it really is up to you, ur the only person who can truly judge ur performance.

try asking ur teachers or parents for advice. ask them about ur potential, and whether u r capable of doing the subject...cos ur results usually get better as u continue thru the year...adapting to year 11 is always hard, it a pretty big jump

But remember, its up to you...and good luck

all the best for the prelim and hsc

2ndbest

Erratic Member
HSC
If you really can get good marks with studying, keep with the 3unit! it scales really well so you don't have to aim for 90s in every test if you want a UAI of >85... get all the text books there is on the 2 and 3 unit course and studying your arse off, without letting other subjects fall (which won't be hard to do in prelim.) and when you finish your prelim exams you can really see whats the best to keep and whats best to drop...13 units isnt bad in yr 12.

ign0r4mus

HSC
I also do physics, IPT, SDD and maths 2u (i do all 2u this yr and 3u nxt yr).

How are you doing in your other subjects? If you are doing fine, then you should keep 3u maths and see how you end up at the end of yr 11, and make a decision then. If you are not doing as well as you hoped in your other subjects, then you should look towards dropping 3u maths.

By dropping 3u maths, you are undertaking a risk which could go either way. By losing it, you could benefit from a rapid increase in the amount of free time available and you can use it for study on your other subjects. Also, i think it would relieve a huge amount of stress. On the other hand, by losing it, you could also be losing a highly scaled subject and considering IPT and in some yrs SDD have not been scaled very high, it could affect your final UAI mark.

BTW, you should try looking at some study guides. Although sometimes frowned upon, the Excel Guides provide a nice straightforward explanation of topics and all formulas, etc. However, i would not use their exercise questions for study, as they are often too basic.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
if u like maths to some degree, keep it.

oh and btw, i also was failing my prelim 3u maths.. but since then i've been performing above class average. coming 2nd in the class atm. i'm confident that i'll be in the top 5. lol :)

moral: hard dedication, good study routine pays off. speaking of which.. i shall be heading off tostudy now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)