• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

i dont get this Q. (1 Viewer)

baka

***el, idiot.
HSC
Q. conflict between group and community interests
- with regards to sole parents
can anybody help me out PLZ???!

Menendez

I did this....this was a part of my paragraph on that, if its any help.

Conflicts between Single Parents and Community Interests
Taken from The Australian, 30th August 1999:
Single parents will be forced to attend career- development sessions as part of a federal government pilot project extending mutual obligation to parents on income support. The project is designed to encourage those receiving parenting payments to return to the workforce as soon as they are able. The aim of the pilot program is to discover the best ways to prevent "risk of poverty, skills atrophy and the transmission of welfare dependence and social exclusion to the next generation". The approach has been criticised by women's groups and welfare activist because of an apparent contradiction between it and the Government's promotion of full-time mothering as a choice for women.
Prime Minister Howards decision to allow states to outlaw IVF to single parent families has become a major controversial conflict between women who choose to have children as single mothers, and that of community interests. Howard claimed it was made to care for the fundamental right of a child within our society to have a reasonable expectation ... of the care and affection of both a mother and a father.
The Infertility Treatment Act (1995) says that it is a criminal offence to self inseminate, with a 4-year imprisonment penalty. Single women who want children struggle against this act, and although the majority of the Community agree with this Act, it conflicts with womens rights, and their own personal opinions and beliefs.

Basically, the fact that people think that single parent families don't function properly, and that single people can't have kids etc.
Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)