• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HSC Subject Help (1 Viewer)

sexykid

HSC
I am considering choosing these subjects for year 11 & 12, however, I was wondering whether they'd enable me to attain an ATAR of arund 90. The reason I am asking this is because a few of my mates say it's basically impossible to get an ATAR of 85+ if you do no choose an extension course. I'd rather not choose an extension course, as I do not want to do anything mathematical based, and I literally DETEST english - creative writing is my nemesis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to do something legal/commerce based in uni.

- advanced english
- 2 unit maths
- biology
- 2 unit religion
- legal studies
- economic/physics (depends on whether my school offers economics next year)

zxreth

HSC
you would definately be able to get an ATAR of 90+ one of my mates did similar subjects to what you did and in his hsc he got a band 6 for 2unit maths and mid-high range band 5's for the rest and managed to attain an ATAR of 91. so yeah its possible. anything is :)

muzeikchun852

HSC
with ur subject, u should be able to get 90+ without any problem. but in terms of scaling - the only average scaled subjects are religion and legal studies.

rather not choose an extension course, as I do not want to do anything mathematical based, and I literally DETEST english - creative writing is my nemesis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to do something legal/commerce based in uni.
u can consider english extension, if u likes english. economics and physics have a little bit of maths in it, but mostly is just substituting the formula.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
I am considering choosing these subjects for year 11 & 12, however, I was wondering whether they'd enable me to attain an ATAR of arund 90.

- advanced english
- 2 unit maths
- biology
- 2 unit religion
- legal studies
- economic/physics (depends on whether my school offers economics next year)
thats propaganda for you..
don't trust what others say.
anything is possible.. those subjects are possible for getting even atleast a 95+
someone in my school did 'low scaling' subjects
english adv
maths general
business studies
pdhpe
food technology
(theyre often referred to as 'low scaling subjects)
and she managed to get a 99.10

also, don't do what scales well, do what you think you will enjoy, because if you enjoy it.. then you'll obviously do better at it.
so yes, it is possible to get a 90+ in the subjects you wish to do.. but i can't stress enough how important it is to pick the subjects you will enjoy rather than the subjects that "scale well"
(but if the subjects you like are "high scaling" then go for it)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)