• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

hsc rankings/marks (1 Viewer)

kr73114

HSC
Hi, I have read other posts and I am still not getting something...I heard the person who is ranked first in school assessment will automatically get first hsc exam mark in the school. Does that mean the person who got the first exam mark will only get the 10th highest mark overall, seeing as the rank is 10 (for example). I dont get it.

funnytomato

HSC
Hm, not really.
What you get in the exam IS your exam mark.Your school assessment mark will be affected by your rank.
And your HSC mark is the average of the two.

So in this scenario, the person ranked 10th will get a worse assessment mark, but the person ranked 1st can only get whatever exam mark he get in the exam. So if the person ranked 1st screw up the exam, he could end up getting a really low HSC mark.

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
Hi, I have read other posts and I am still not getting something...I heard the person who is ranked first in school assessment will automatically get first hsc exam mark in the school. Does that mean the person who got the first exam mark will only get the 10th highest mark overall, seeing as the rank is 10 (for example). I dont get it.
say the one ranked 1st is person A , and the one ranked 10th is person B

A gets B's exam mark as his/her assessment mark, and A's exam mark will be whatever A scores in the exam

And even though B's exam mark will be highest, but B's assessment mark will be the 10th highest exam mark of the school

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
say the one ranked 1st is person A , and the one ranked 10th is person B

A gets B's exam mark as his/her assessment mark, and A's exam mark will be whatever A scores in the exam

And even though B's exam mark will be highest, but B's assessment mark will be the 10th highest exam mark of the school
Not quite.

The only assessment marks that are set by the exam are those of first and last.

The rest are determined using the ranks and relative gaps so having the 10th rank won't guarantee you the 10th exam mark as your assessment mark because that could actually work out to be unfair.

It isn't a simple matter of the exam marks being transposed to the assessment marks but rather the ranks and gaps must be taken into account e.g. say 10th place was sent in with a mark 25 behind first but in the exam 10th was only 10 marks behind - that wouldn't truly reflect the difference between the first and 10th students so the gap would be closer to the school's assessment mark of 25 rather than the 10th ranked exam mark.

NB My example might seem a bit extreme but it is an attempt to make the point of the aim of the exercise is to be fair to all students and to truly reflect not only the rank of the students but also the gaps between those students.

funnytomato

HSC
The rest are determined using the ranks and relative gaps so having the 10th rank won't guarantee you the 10th exam mark as your assessment mark because that could actually work out to be unfair.
okay, that means my teacher told another lie

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, funnytomato - you don't really need an understanding of the system to do well in the HSC. Whatever your level of understanding of the aggregate/scaling/aligning etc system, I think what makes sense is that you want as high a mark as you can get. What does make sense to everyone is that the higher your mark, the better your HSC will be.

Worry about the things you can control (your marks), and don't worry about the things that you can't (the systems).

Two years on, I still don't understand how everything works.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Well, funnytomato - you don't really need an understanding of the system to do well in the HSC. Whatever your level of understanding of the aggregate/scaling/aligning etc system, I think what makes sense is that you want as high a mark as you can get. What does make sense to everyone is that the higher your mark, the better your HSC will be.

Worry about the things you can control (your marks), and don't worry about the things that you can't (the systems).

agreed, the board of studies is way to confusing to understand

funnytomato

HSC

+1

but I found out something interesting the other day
according to this www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2010_HSC_Table A3.pdf

for scaled marks,
90th percentile of MX2 > 99th percentile of adv english , even though the majority of BOSers would find the latter subject more difficult

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)