• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How would you define "love"? (1 Viewer)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
love is a delusion between two people so occupied with thoughts of each others that they develop a relationship where they so called understand each other but is no different from that of close friends but has the difference where the silly emotions that arise from the attached visual presence of the other and the memories they concoct are rationalised into this thing called love for lack of a better understanding of the condition that they are in. same applies for thoughts of things such as god whereby as long as you believe in the delusion it is real enough to the individual and provides happiness and hope like a placebo. it is also an ideal that a great many people believe is an ideal and so they strive in search of love as if the very notion is a natural phenomenon but was probably instigated to assist in furthering the reproduction of the species more than anything. also it could be a way to justify a somewhat high belief that their actions are not barbaric and animalistic and so wrap this idea in a sea of poetry and romance.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
transcendent said:
love is a delusion between two people so occupied with thoughts of each others that they develop a relationship where they so called understand each other but is no different from that of close friends but has the difference where the silly emotions that arise from the attached visual presence of the other and the memories they concoct are rationalised into this thing called love for lack of a better understanding of the condition that they are in. same applies for thoughts of things such as god whereby as long as you believe in the delusion it is real enough to the individual and provides happiness and hope like a placebo. it is also an ideal that a great many people believe is an ideal and so they strive in search of love as if the very notion is a natural phenomenon but was probably instigated to assist in furthering the reproduction of the species more than anything. also it could be a way to justify a somewhat high belief that their actions are not barbaric and animalistic and so wrap this idea in a sea of poetry and romance.
50000m below sea level.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
davin said:
not at all. you made the statement that the alternative to love is lust. if its not love, its a lust-based relationship. however, this implies that the difference lust and love is that in a loving relationship one's emotions are returned and in a lustful relationship they are not. that seems, to me, to be a ridiculous idea, as the characteristics of love and lust are different.
if its not love. then it is lust/desire/passion or whatever else you want to call it. I also mentioned that love must be strong and passionate. Therefore this will allow it to fulfill my previous comment that love bears all things, hopes all things and endures all things. If the 'love' emotion your feeling fails - then in my opinion, it was not true and pure love.

davin said:
you tried to criticise my statement about love as an emotion, but you then tried to misrepresent it about being about relationships. it wasn't. my statement was entirely about love as an emotion, and you don't need it reciprocated to feel love for someone. the discussion is defining 'love' not 'a healthy loving relationship'
love is a main component of relationships. also a main component of true friendships.... those kinds of brother/sister relationships or friendships, the ones that always get through thick and thin, are relationships of love... where one partner cares, respects and does everything they can for the other.

sorry, i guess my statement was directed only to coupled relationships (ie marriage). but yes, i agree with you when u say that love doesnt need to be reciprocated for it to be true love. "does not seek its own"

but love does not only need to be in the sense of physical and psychological attraction. if i love my best friend, it highlights how i respect him, care for him, wish the best for him, would do anything for him, even give my own life for him - hence the being unselfish, not puffed up comment i made earlier.

davin said:
and i stand by my statement of love failing too often. i think its one of the crueler emotions
if it fails. its not full and complete love :p - "love suffers long"

transcendent

HSC
N/A
then there is no such thing as true love because everyone breaks up or divorces and i'm sure there are a few in a relationship that live with one another due to convenience rather than love and what if your first love or previous relationship WAS the person you loved. it's insulting to say that what you truely feel is wrong when you aren't the one feeling it and telling someone else that they aren't in love and it's just some silly little fling emotion when to them it is real it is raw and it hurts when everyone around you tells you that what you are feeling isn't what you are feeling at all. it's almost an affront to what you believe in and i would personally be offended if someone told me that.

davin

HSC
N/A
and my issue, wm, is your attitude of effectivly telling me what i've felt isn't what it is. your statment is effectivly saying that if i've a relationship that ended because the other person decided i wasn't the right person, no matter how much i felt i loved them, that i didn't really love them and it was just lust.

for it to be a loving relationship, it does need balance, yes, but love itself doesn't require anyone else to feel anything. that is defined entirly by what I feel.

Darkening

HSC
"Love" is a four letter word...... Teacher said that one... and i believe it... its just a word to descrive how you feel, i see no real connection with Love..

SqUiMpY

HSC
Love is the best. its when ur heart beats really fast when u get a message from the person. all that u think about is the next time u get to see or speak to the person, u always worry about if u r dressed well or hair is perfect when u know u r gonna see them, when it takes the extra hour to get ready when u go out with them, they look after u when ur sick, can burp fart n joke with them about it, lay in bed and watch tv without having to worry what they think of u, coz u already know :) love is when u know they love u back

Darkening

HSC
Sounds like you know this from experiance lol :) But dont you wonder, What does the word LOVE acctually mean.......... so many diffrent versions, ask your boi what he thinks love is... that will be intresting :wave:

SqUiMpY said:
Love is the best. its when ur heart beats really fast when u get a message from the person. all that u think about is the next time u get to see or speak to the person, u always worry about if u r dressed well or hair is perfect when u know u r gonna see them, when it takes the extra hour to get ready when u go out with them, they look after u when ur sick, can burp fart n joke with them about it, lay in bed and watch tv without having to worry what they think of u, coz u already know :) love is when u know they love u back

SqUiMpY

HSC
Darkening said:
Sounds like you know this from experiance lol :) But dont you wonder, What does the word LOVE acctually mean.......... so many diffrent versions, ask your boi what he thinks love is... that will be intresting :wave:
my boy would just give me a funny look and ask me what im on about LOL call me a silly squimpy and blab on about how i am funny with my randomness :p so alike its scary he he he. i used to think i was in love with my ex til i met this knew guy so i figure i have a fair idea what it feels like

Darkening

HSC
Woo!! go randomness!!! Thats acctually the reason i kno so many people, when your random you can never EVER have a boring conversation :) :bomb: Lol. I hope you and your boi stay together then :)

SqUiMpY said:
my boy would just give me a funny look and ask me what im on about LOL call me a silly squimpy and blab on about how i am funny with my randomness :p so alike its scary he he he. i used to think i was in love with my ex til i met this knew guy so i figure i have a fair idea what it feels like

transcendent

HSC
N/A
so what happens when you fall out of 'love' with the current dude and fall in 'love' with someone else? :rolleyes:

Darkening

HSC
Like Love Lust <<< I read this somewere... might be helpfull i geuss?

Darkening

HSC
Like < Love < Lust

Lol!! to much love is lust!! OMG!!! EVERYONE STOP LOVING EVERYONE!! :p

SqUiMpY

HSC
theres no such thing as falling out of love, even if u break up there will still be a soft spot in ur heart for that person. well thats what i believe neway. people ive known dont appreciate my randomness,they get jealous :( slacko'z LOL

transcendent

HSC
N/A
what if that love was based on a lie? you love the person, you get in a relationship with that person but they felt nothing for you and were using you? is that love? cause that one person was feeling it but the other person isn't. people are tricky, they can make you feel in love with them and not feel a thing for them. that's the same as one sided love isn't it just that they took that opportunity to take advantage of the one in 'love'. i've met people who felt NOTHING for there ex's so does that mean they were in love or just like being in a relationship? cause there ARE people who get into relationships just to be in a relationship because they aren't capable of handling being single.

murphy54

HSC
love it is somethinq beyond what words can express....you may only feel it....because no matter how many words you will say...you will never be able to recreate that fealling in youre mind....but keep trying..maybe you will succed in 1000000000000000 years...but I do not thinq so

davin

HSC
N/A
the internet knows nothing of love though, but only of the facade of love

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)