• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How To Mark An Exam (1 Viewer)

Aznmichael92

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: How To Mark An Exam

tommykins said:
True - I'd give him a mark if he was able to make 2x = 7-5 = 2 then make an error in that, but making a wrong step with the right answer in a relatively simple 2mark question shouldn't obtain a mark
Um maybe I should let everyone know. That was not the question I got marked for, it was only an example from someone else's test paper in year 8 so I don't think its right that they lost both marks for just some silly mistake. I was asking to see what you guys think should be awarded.

I do not think its correct that you mark someone based on their grade(year level). So if a year 1 kid got it wrong, would u still give them 2 marks or 1.9? Doesn't work that way.

Cerry

HSC
katie tully said:
What.
Did you even see his response?
He didn't demonstrate that he knew the basic principles because he got the first part of it wrong.

Generally, and this is definitely true for chem and university level statistics, if you get the first part wrong but magically somehow end up with the answer, you usually get less marks than were you to get the steps right and the answer wrong.

It's a 2 mark question, so it's not a relatively hard question, therefore it should have been done properly, or atleast the steps should have been.

Sorry, I would have awarded 0.
No, the basic principle is there - re-arrange the equation so that you end up with a number on one side, and x on the other. And that's what's been done, there's just been an error in the way it's been done. Which line the mistake is on doesn't matter - if they'd divided 12 by 2 and come up with 7, I bet no one would be making as big a deal, because it's not in the first line. But it's essentially the same sort of mistake, so I don't see why it matters where it is.

tommykins said:
True - I'd give him a mark if he was able to make 2x = 7-5 = 2 then make an error in that, but making a wrong step with the right answer in a relatively simple 2mark question shouldn't obtain a mark
Yes, but this person DIDN'T get the right solution for the equation. The answer is actually 1, and they've said 6. However, according to their working, which was pretty much right, their answer is correct. It's worth marks.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Cerry said:
No, the basic principle is there - re-arrange the equation so that you end up with a number on one side, and x on the other. And that's what's been done, there's just been an error in the way it's been done. Which line the mistake is on doesn't matter - if they'd divided 12 by 2 and come up with 7, I bet no one would be making as big a deal, because it's not in the first line. But it's essentially the same sort of mistake, so I don't see why it matters where it is.

Yes, but this person DIDN'T get the right solution for the equation. The answer is actually 1, and they've said 6. However, according to their working, which was pretty much right, their answer is correct. It's worth marks.
Well that's the problem then, you don't see why it matters. You have to look at it from a markers perspective, and not what you think is fair.

You just admitted that there was an error in the way it was done. Essentially, thats why he would get 0 marks. Which line it is on does matter, because if he had gotten all of the steps correct and then made a simple error when he calculated the answer, I'm sure he would get marks. But he didn't.

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
Find the value of x, if 2x +5 = 7 [2 marks]
Anywhoo..

2x + 5 = 7
2x = 7 - 5
2x = 2
x = 2/2
x= 1

If I was the teacher, i would have given you zero marks, the working out has to be correct also as the answer to get any 2 marks. One mark for correct working out, and another mark for the answer right. Sorry, but thats what I think, and my mathematic teacher, geez, I think that was a reasonable question. Work harder, and do alot of exercises/questions, the more you practice the better ^_^

Aznmichael92

HSC
well that really means who marks the hsc will actually alter the results of the hsc. If someone who is so picky like giving zero for just a silly mistake, it could make a big difference from getting 100 in the course and 90ish.

HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
Ok, I have come across a test where I think the marker is being real slack in the way they mark it.

For example the question says:

Find the value of x, if 2x +5 = 7 [2 marks]

Which of the following do you think is the best way to allocate marks if someone does an error in the first line of their working out?

2x +5 = 7
2x = 12
x = 6 [1 mark]

or

2x + 5 = 7
2x = 12
x = 6 [0 mark]
that should be a one mark question at year 10 level shouldnt it ?
so either right or wrong?

but if its a two mark question..then yeah..shouldve got one

its called like correct from something haha

Aznmichael92

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
that should be a one mark question at year 10 level shouldnt it ?
so either right or wrong?

but if its a two mark question..then yeah..shouldve got one

its called like correct from something haha
if it was a year 10 question, probably 1 mark but its a year 8 question so 2 marks. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)