• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to extend your vocabulary in english? (1 Viewer)

Cerry

HSC
Re: help?

Kujah said:
SMH's website pretty good.

But I still prefer the readers-friendly layout of the Daily Telegraph newspaper.
It's not much good for learning vocab though. The Daily Telegraphy uses langauge aimed at an "average reading age" of 12. I can't remember SMH's off the top of my head, but it's considerably higher.

When it comes to learning vocab for English, I tend to find that the best thing is to find words that you really like the sound of, but have never heard before. You'll remember them, because they interest you, and the interest will also lead to you finding ways to use them, even if they seem completely useless.
Trust me, my favourite words are recapitulation, defenestration, incapacitation, and spiflication.

sxcalexc

HSC

Cerry said:
It's not much good for learning vocab though. The Daily Telegraphy uses langauge aimed at an "average reading age" of 12. I can't remember SMH's off the top of my head, but it's considerably higher.

When it comes to learning vocab for English, I tend to find that the best thing is to find words that you really like the sound of, but have never heard before. You'll remember them, because they interest you, and the interest will also lead to you finding ways to use them, even if they seem completely useless.
Trust me, my favourite words are recapitulation, defenestration, incapacitation, and spiflication.
Wow you like your 'ations

tambourine

HSC

All of what you're saying is correct. My teacher said 'A rose with any other name would smell as sweet' and I thought that sounded pretty :)

I have looked up a few words while reading novels and written them down in a book. I like the word tantamount :)

Freerice.com had a couple of the words that I wrote down which was good because it reminded me of their meanings.

I take back what I said about not being able to get to level 40 after four words because I got to 35 after 3.

Thank you to all of you and I have yet to read SMH.

One more thing, I am going to summer school..the english one is on Thursday!! And I get to go to a free essay writing lecture which hopefully will help :)

HSC

tambourine said:
I have looked up a few words while reading novels and written them down in a book. I like the word tantamount :)
Yeah I started doing this, I have a notepad in my room so whenever I'm reading there and come across a word I like (and didn't know before) I write it down.

Someone mentioned dictionary.com's Word of the Day, that's great. I have the rss feed on my homepage so whenever I load up the browser I see the word and its meaning, and if you go to the actual page (here: http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/) it shows it in context.

spicypeanut

HSC
first post on these forums, but if you guy want to learn vocab, i have a way to kill two bird with one stone.

www.freerice.com

a very simple vocab game, that also helps world hunger, every word you get right, they donate 20 grains of rice to 3rd world countries, gimmicky idea, but none the less a good one. i have gone through 6000 word today, and still haven't doubled up, the better you get the harder the words are.

anyways, have fun

......:::::spicypeanut:::::.....

HSC
spicypeanut said:
first post on these forums, but if you guy want to learn vocab, i have a way to kill two bird with one stone.

www.freerice.com

a very simple vocab game, that also helps world hunger, every word you get right, they donate 20 grains of rice to 3rd world countries, gimmicky idea, but none the less a good one. i have gone through 6000 word today, and still haven't doubled up, the better you get the harder the words are.

anyways, have fun

......:::::spicypeanut:::::.....
Oh thanks. I went on this site, and its helpful, and i like the fact that i'm donating rice. this is awesomeeeee. i'm actually doing something productive.

shorty .

HSC
tht website is so much better than myspace .
it makes me feel good to kno im helping . =]

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)