• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to calm down before tests? (1 Viewer)

irenefu

HSC
Anyone know of some good techniques to remain calm before a test, because I tend to have anxiety attacks which doesn't really help my stress level.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
In stressful situations such as exams, some excel with adrenaline, others don't.

Before the exam, don't hang out with people who'll stress you out. Don't do too much last minute revision as it may create doubt in your head. Just be content with the fact that you've done the most amount of studying possible (even if this isn't the case). Also, talk to yourself and repeat "i can do this" under your breath. I'd do it all the time before i went out to bat in cricket. Worked well for me.

However, the best reliever you can get is the realisation that none of these tests count for anything in life.

Good luck :)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Adding to that laxatives can help you relax as well. Worthwhile investment. :p

irenefu

HSC
In stressful situations such as exams, some excel with adrenaline, others don't.

Before the exam, don't hang out with people who'll stress you out. Don't do too much last minute revision as it may create doubt in your head. Just be content with the fact that you've done the most amount of studying possible (even if this isn't the case). Also, talk to yourself and repeat "i can do this" under your breath. I'd do it all the time before i went out to bat in cricket. Worked well for me.

However, the best reliever you can get is the realisation that none of these tests count for anything in life.

Good luck :)
Hahah yes , true. Was hanging out with a bunch of people cramming before the 2U exam, and I pretty much lost it. Just gonna focus on doing my best, I guesss. xD

Drink tea!
LOL, i have a reputation for being a tea-addict. It works so well (Y) keeps you awake, is healthy, and helps concentration. But it's starting to damage my teeth, so I'm laying off it for a whilee. Does it start to damage your teeeth?=S

D94

HSC
N/A
The best way to be and stay calm is to know your content. You will have a sense of paranoia if you know you didn't really study much for a certain dot point, and in turn, that paranoia is going to stress you.

Alkanes

HSC
I like to chew gum before and during the test.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hahah yes , true. Was hanging out with a bunch of people cramming before the 2U exam, and I pretty much lost it. Just gonna focus on doing my best, I guesss. xD

LOL, i have a reputation for being a tea-addict. It works so well (Y) keeps you awake, is healthy, and helps concentration. But it's starting to damage my teeth, so I'm laying off it for a whilee. Does it start to damage your teeeth?=S
Spiral is a bit of a hypocrite, I don't drink tea. However I do eat sugar and it makes me hyper. Hence why I don't sleep until 3 am.

Peeik

HSC
I like to chew gum before and during the test.
yer i did this too during my HSC, seemed to work but if your exam is for 3 hours....probably want to replace your gum every so often.

May I also suggest developing some confidence in yourself. One thing I've realised in my students (that I tutor) is that if they dont know their content well heading into an exam, they generally feel more worried and stressed. So by developing some confidence in you, hopefully you wont be stressed prior to an exam rather you will be eager to pawn it :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Sex.

Just kidding, I usually think like - "HSC means jack shit" and you're all set. Atleast that works for me xD.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
the more you prepare for a test before hand, the more solid your nerves are but its mostly mind over matter. but like Bored_of_HSC said, tell yourself you can do it and said it over and over again. that usually helps a bit. try a few things out, something'll work :)

RishBonjour

HSC
i am never calm before tests, I'm always hypo, but i guess that works for me

Aysce

HSC
^ Same, but what I do is a mini prayer and play songs within my head a few minutes before. Weird way but I guess it works for me..

minzoir

HSC
Know the syllabus and content areas that will be tested.
Also, I found that if the teachers saw that I was really trying hard to get good marks they were more willing to help me out alot more. For instance, I became really good mates with my Software teacher and he ended up giving those willing in the class at least 20 hours of lessons before the final exams. This extra preparation, where we could ask any question we wanted, was a massive confidence booster and helped relieve stress.
Also, don't hang around people before the exams that will stress you out.
Before midcourse, trials and externals everyone congregated in a seating area outside the exam rooms. I made sure that I did some quick revision (or even just chilled out) in another classroom or study area all by myself. This helped alot.
Hope this helped out, Goodluck with the year ahead! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)