• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How many past papers should you do? (1 Viewer)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
You shouldn't be thinking, "I have to do X amount of past papers." Instead, you should be thinking, "I will do as many past papers as I can possibly squeeze in my time."

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
lyounamu said:
I have done like 30 past papers for Mathematisc alone so far.
I wish I did that many when I did accelerated maths last year, but I wasnt in HSC mode. I still did well, but I couldve done even better if I did that many :p

So far Ive done about 7 for each 3unit and 4unit maths, 2 for biology and chemistry, and none for eco (but my eco teacher gives us heaps of questions throughout the year from past HSC and trial papers so im fine with that)

HSC=/=LIFE

HSC
N/A
Free advice. There is not a limit to the amount you should do. Do as many as it takes for you feel comfortable with every sort of question they can ask you. They ask surprising questions in the arts topics they word them in ways to confuse you. When you learn to figure out what answer they want you will be on your way to success.

OsamaBinLaden

Banned
HSC
midifile said:
I wish I did that many when I did accelerated maths last year, but I wasnt in HSC mode. I still did well, but I couldve done even better if I did that many :p

So far Ive done about 7 for each 3unit and 4unit maths, 2 for biology and chemistry, and none for eco (but my eco teacher gives us heaps of questions throughout the year from past HSC and trial papers so im fine with that)
What mark did you get for Maths Accelarated?

OsamaBinLaden

Banned
HSC
midifile said:
CONGRATS! I hope I do that well.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you study?

I mean, did you do past papers, textbook exercises, ?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
OsamaBinLaden said:
CONGRATS! I hope I do that well.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you study?

I mean, did you do past papers, textbook exercises, ?
Thanks.

I mainly did textbook exercises - so I would go through each exercise and pick a few questions from each so I pretty much covered the whole course. If I got things wrong then I would do more of that type of question until I was confident with it. Plus past papers (both HSC and trial) are also good. I didnt do as many as I would have liked, because as I said, I wasnt in HSC mode and wasnt studying as much as I am now. Also a good idea is that after you do a past HSC paper go onto the board of studies and get the examiners notes for that paper (they have them for all recent papers till about 1995) as they discuss what many candidates did, the most successful methods of doing questions where there are multiple methods and common mistakes. I didnt do that last year, but I have found it quite beneficial when studing for my pretrials in 3 and 4 unit maths.

Last edited:

OsamaBinLaden

Banned
HSC
midifile said:
Thanks.

I mainly did textbook exercises - so I would go through each exercise and pick a few questions from each so I pretty much covered the whole course. If I got things wrong then I would do more of that type of question until I was confident with it. Plus past papers (both HSC and trial) are also good. I didnt do as many as I would have liked, because as I said, I wasnt in HSC mode and wasnt studying as much as I am now. Also a good idea is that after you do a past HSC paper go onto the board of studies and get the examiners notes for that paper (they have them for all recent papers till about 1995) as they discuss what many candidates did, the most successful methods of doing questions where there are multiple methods and common mistakes. I didnt do that last year, but I have found it quite beneficial when studing for my pretrials in 3 and 4 unit maths.
Thank you so much! That really helped!

So you got the sylabus, went through the points and did a few questions for each dot point?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
midifile said:

I am striving to achieve high Band 6/E4 for MX1 and Mathematics to get into the Cosmology Course. That's probably why I am working this hard.

Did you to past HSC papers or Trial ones? (for MX1)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
OsamaBinLaden said:
Thank you so much! That really helped!

So you got the sylabus, went through the points and did a few questions for each dot point?
No not the syllabus. The textbook. The syllabus is also good but I didnt discover that till this year. But I pretty much went through the textbook and did a few of each kind of question. But you could do it off the syllabus as well if you wanted and do a few questions relating to each point

OsamaBinLaden

Banned
HSC
midifile said:
No not the syllabus. The textbook. The syllabus is also good but I didnt discover that till this year. But I pretty much went through the textbook and did a few of each kind of question. But you could do it off the syllabus as well if you wanted and do a few questions relating to each point
Cool. Thanks a heap!

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
lyounamu said:
I am striving to achieve high Band 6/E4 for MX1 and Mathematics to get into the Cosmology Course. That's probably why I am working this hard.

Did you to past HSC papers or Trial ones? (for MX1)
I only did 2u maths last year.

For maths extension this year I have done about 5 past HSC papers, and a couple of trials from other schools. Right now I am doing a knox one (but am procrastinatng after getting halfway through and getting bored:p). I also got a book from school with practice trial papers, but i'm leaving it till if/when I run out of other things to do, because the practice exams dont feel like real HSC papers.

I'm sure if you keep going the way you are you will achieve your goals. I did about a third of the papers of what you have already done so far and I got 96, so if you keep going the way you are i'm sure you'll do even better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)