• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How hard do English HSC markers mark? (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Just curious as to whether anyone here would know, from previous HSC results or if you've been a previous HSC marker yourself. I always thought my school mark very "critically", because cramming 3 essays into a 2 hour time slot ain't gona bring out the best essays tbh. How lenient are they?

themanman

HSC
N/A
as one of my teachers said,

in school they look for reasons to deduct marks
in the hsc they look for reasons to give marks

it says a lot about the mindframe

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Just curious as to whether anyone here would know, from previous HSC results or if you've been a previous HSC marker yourself. I always thought my school mark very "critically", because cramming 3 essays into a 2 hour time slot ain't gona bring out the best essays tbh. How lenient are they?
I'd like guess that they would be reasonable with their marking, so that they don't disadvantage the GOOD students and indirectly advantage the not so good student by marking easier.

D94

HSC
N/A
Assuming my teacher ( who is a HSC marker) marks the same in school and for HSC, HSC markers don't mark really hard. But this is dependent on how good you are at English - someone getting 10/20 may complain a teacher is marking hard when they actually deserve a 10/20.

yours

HSC
all i know is that it's a lot more consistent than school marking, since they do double marking and they also check the awarded-mark average to see whether certain examiners are marking too leniently or too harshly, and then tell them that they are marking in that way.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
They marked heaps easier in the HSC than they did at my school.

Used the same essays: I got 83/105 in Trials, but 101/105 in HSC.

interesting

HSC
N/A
They're going to try and maximise your marks so it seems pretty fair

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Maximising is a bit generous, but, let's just say they're not out there to get you. They're there to award you marks for the stuff you do right.

themanman

HSC
N/A
Maximising is a bit generous, but, let's just say they're not out there to get you. They're there to award you marks for the stuff you do right.
agreed. they dont go in with the mindframe "harr darr i rarely give full marks, im such a respectable hard ass. RESPECT ME!"

if they feel u genuinely deserve it, u get it. however, they arent given enough time to form a sense a proper opinion. so there is quite a bit of luck involved between a 19 and a 20 in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)